Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Baby Blue, Another E87 130i

This was a Trademe $1 reserve auction that I put an auto-bid on that I presumed would be too low to win it. And then I won it. So I ended up with another M130iA that I really don't need for $6,750. I'm going to do what I can with it to tidy it up then flip it.

I saw nothing but the TM pictures, description and Q&A before I bid and would never normally throw money at something sight-unseen, especially nearly $7k but, as I say, I didn't expect to win it.

It's docile compared to my black one but surprisingly agile and compliant.

As collected:

Blue_e87_130_01.jpg

Blue_e87_130_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, if you didn't want to win why were you even pushing the bidding up?

I'll give you credit for actually completing the sale though. Looks nice, good choice of wheels.

I picked it up on Saturday and first impressions were that it was well used on the outside and absolutely filthy (disgusting) on the inside. But it did come with two keys and a luggage compartment cover, miracles! ?

The seller (wholesale dealer) wasn't dishonest in the ad but also wasn't fully honest. As somebody who trades in cars he should have been more honest and complete in his description but hey, it was my choice to buy it sight unseen. I'm pretty glad in some respects that I got it rather than somebody who would have to pay to bring it up to spec. He also said he has always referred to the "roof/head liner" as the "hood liner" and I call BS on that since he's in the industry.

So I jumped in and took it for a drive. Well damn, it's absolute bliss, way better than I expected. It hums along, has loads of poke and and rides amazingly well. I took it for a real hard drive around a lot of tight bends and uneven surfaces (the main areas the poor stock suspension and open diff show their faults) and it was planted. It has new rear tyres (Neuton) and I'm stunned with their grip which I imagine falls off really quickly once wear sets in (if not they're amazing tyres).

Still, it's filthy and disgusting. But, mechanically it's an $8k car every day and the cosmetics don't add up to $1,250 off so I still got a good deal. I drove back and paid the man.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Lol, if you didn't want to win why were you even pushing the bidding up?

I'll give you credit for actually completing the sale though. Looks nice, good choice of wheels.

No credit needed (but thanks), I'm a man of my word. I had no intention of pushing the bidding up to be honest, I put in an auto bid close to the current bidding but nowhere near what I thought it would go for and walked away. Came back to a car.

I actually think I can make it better (and much lower risk) for a prospective buyer anyway and the two on here that were bidding (I don't recognise either) that have PM'd me already have my assurance they'll be amongst the first considered when I move it on.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

It has new rear tyres (Neuton) and I'm stunned with their grip which I imagine falls off really quickly once wear sets in (if not they're amazing tyres).

Im betting once the wet surface sets in.

Assuming you aren't putting a big mark up on it then i agree it's probably a good thing you bought it as it mitigates much of the risk for the new owner. 

im curious to know your thoughts on the difference your tune/mods have compared to what I imagine is a bone stock example.

This may become a list of things I've done or need to do. So far:

• Plugged it into ISTA and checked all the modules and faults, a bunch of stored faults from ages ago were cleared and didn't come back. The radiator flap which is of no concern, I might remove it (as they did with the LCI motorsport 130i), was the only persistent fault.
  • The headlights were terribly yellow, I've given them a polish.
  • Fluids (oil, brake, power steering) checked and nothing concerning, I will do an oil change
  • I've coded in and out a few convenience features and annoyances using Carly and crosschecked codes, no problems.
  • I've checked the suspension (only with the wheels on) and noted aftermarket shocks.
  • I replaced the missing ashtray and socket plug from spares.
  • Given the engine bay a once over to remove the worst of the dust and crap.
  • I checked the air and cabin filter and they will be changed.
  • It's on a battery conditioner at the moment just in case it's had recent abuse.

That's all I can remember at the moment.

Edited by M3AN

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Im betting once the wet surface sets in.

Assuming you aren't putting a big mark up on it then i agree it's probably a good thing you bought it as it mitigates much of the risk for the new owner. 

I suspect you're right on the tyres. As for the price, well I'll market it for what I think is an honest price but the price I paid for it will have little bearing on that. I won't be making thousands, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, qube said:

im curious to know your thoughts on the difference your tune/mods have compared to what I imagine is a bone stock example.

I forgot to mention... this one is almost pleasant because it isn't so violent. But the sport mode in this has nothing on mine, it's left in the dust. The black one is clearly a more focused car and I like that but this one is sublime (and probably a much more economical daily ?).

Edited by M3AN

Some progress pics.

Cleaned up the engine bay, forgot to take a before, it was thick with years of dust and grime.

Engine_Bay.jpg

Polished up the headlights with some headlight compound and a random orbital polisher, they were terrible, now they're quite alright (although still showing their age). Before:

Headlights_Before.jpg

After:

Headlights_After.jpg

Edited by M3AN

And now, for the sublime ride, I wiped off the shocks and spied this through the spokes:

Shocks.jpg

They appear to be Bilstein JDM shocks (e.g. 1, e.g. 2) and valved specifically for the E81/7 Motosport 130 and I call them winners. It's difficult to know how many km's they've done but a reasonable assumption is they're younger than the life of the car. Bonus.

Bilstein's advanced technology enables a ride quality that surpasses radial tires. Fully compatible with run flat tires.
"Executive Tuning" is a special tuning damper that provides the ultimate riding comfort with the run-flat tires attached without impairing the neat styling of BMW. Considering the suspension geometry, it is essential to use the suspension arm at an ideal angle if you want to get the best riding experience with the M-Sport that is lowered in the normal state. Executive tuning is a special tuning damper developed with a normal vehicle height that uses a genuine M-Sport spring. While maintaining excellent handling characteristics, we have completed a high-quality ride "Ride Comfort Setting". (Google translated) Source

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

I picked up the cleaning products I'll need to tackle the interior, all on special at Supercheap so that wasn't too painful. Cleaning it will be painful.

I also fluked a rear wiper motor in what looks to be near new condition from Zebra for $20. I took it apart onsite to check it before I paid for it. I might swap the BMW one into my black car and the pattern part into the blue one... not sure why but it's only a handful of clips and some bolts.

It was nearly empty of fuel when I got it and I have no idea what was in there so I filled it up with 98 today to give it a breath of fresh air. I've been driving it all day and it's really, really nice to drive. Now waiting for a good oil to be available at a good price at Repco or SCA.

Super cheap also has oil on special this weekend. 30% off Castrol. Grabbed some my self. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hunter said:

Super cheap also has oil on special this weekend. 30% off Castrol. Grabbed some my self. 

43 minutes ago, qube said:

@M3AN i can always get castrol oil at good prices let me know if you need it

Thanks guys, yeah I squized at both sites... Castrol is good value at 30% off but still, more than I want to spend since I need 5l + 2x1l, Repco has Shell Supercars stuff for 50% off but that's still $60 for 5l.

When I'm lucky I can get 5l of Penrite for ~$46 and I have a few litres here to make up the difference.

@qube - thanks, does full synth get as low as $10 a litre (5w-40) with your deal?

Edit: all expenses are just going to be added to the price when I sell it but I'm trying to make sure it remains a bargain (sub 8k, mechanically sound).

Edited by M3AN

Dave, I just buy in 20l lots when the sales are on, it should get you ~$8/l for Penrite HPR5.

• Like 1

not always.  Sometimes one rocks in, asks for price on 20l: "$148, sir".  OK, I'll take two.

I wasn't expecting fine weather today so made the most of it to air out and clean the car. All in all I spent about 3 hours on the interior and it's come up really well, it looks really good and no major damage uncovered. Total soccer-mum car, you can see the ISOFIX fittings have been used, there are marks from a child seat and I found a ton of Lego, raisins and crisps under the back seat. ?

All of the door cards, centre console, seat plastics and dash have been scrubbed clean and look great. All of the leather from boots to seats to armrests and steering wheel have been cleaned and conditioned with Oakwoods and are sweet, I'm very happy (as I hope a new owner will be). I finished it off with a full vacuum, the mats themselves are in great condition.

The sagging headliner has been addressed with upholstery pins which have done a fantastic job but of course it will need to be replaced eventually.

I need to remove the failing 'soft touch plastic' from the steering wheel insert and iDrive controller shroud next. 

Oh, and it no longer stinks. Bonus.

Interior_Clean_01.jpg

Interior_Clean_02.jpg

Interior_Clean_03.jpg

Also has this crazy, rear seats down cargo net. It's OEM but took me a fair while to work out! ? There are supplementary fittings in the roof for it. 

Cargo_Net_02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

The cargo net is very handy, it stops my dog licking my ears whilst driving to the vets ;)

• Haha 1

Might be sold... deposit pending.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Might be sold... deposit pending.

Hopefully to a good owner who will only feed it 98 and blue coolant. 

• Like 1

Yes, a family friend borrowed it before lockdown and they've apparently fallen for it. Son is a car nut so won't let it run on rubbish! ?

It's not locked in yet but it's looking that way...

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Unsold and now officially on the market. ?

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Unsold and now officially on the market. ?

Family and friends, two people you never sell a car to. Shouldn't be hard to sell though. 

• Like 2