Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

E39 540 Wagon

This is exactly what I'm after, if only it was diesel or a M54 ?. I was never a fan of the E39's but they have definitely grown on me. Especially the tourings. 

• Like 2

If you can DIY then its decent. If not then you are just gambling with a big potential money pit if its got no proven history.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Eagle said:

If you can DIY then its decent. If not then you are just gambling with a big potential money pit if its got no proven history.

Yes, it appears he can't confirm if any work has been carried out on the brakes, cooling system or if the timing chain etc has been replaced. 

Sounds like the typical neglected kiwi car where a WOF and engine oil changes constitutes a service. 

Any fussy owner would likely be looking at timing chain, brakes, suspension, cooling system and a decent service after buying. $6500 could double in no time. 

• Like 4

Yeah likely on mostly original parts but that's nothing new. Its only the real enthusiasts who spend $ doing preventative maintenance.

21 hours ago, coop said:

Yes, it appears he can't confirm if any work has been carried out on the brakes, cooling system or if the timing chain etc has been replaced. 

Sounds like the typical neglected kiwi car where a WOF and engine oil changes constitutes a service. 

Any fussy owner would likely be looking at timing chain, brakes, suspension, cooling system and a decent service after buying. $6500 could double in no time. 

Yeah I could see it owing a fussy owner 20k once everything has been sorted out incl transmission.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

owing a fussy owner 20k

Don't we know it... :)

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, Cammsport said:

This is exactly what I'm after, if only it was diesel or a M54 ?. I was never a fan of the E39's but they have definitely grown on me. Especially the tourings. 

I had an m54 E39 wagon auto and I found the body weight totally mismatched to the engine. Definitely diesel but this V8 would be even better. Fuel economy sucked on the M54b30 pulling that weight too.

Fuel economy in the 540 wagon is a bit on the high side too, mine used to sit around 14l/100 km but the noise was worth it!