Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

BMW vin checker

I used to use this website to check vins on BMW's https://www.mdecoder.com/  but now when I use it it says    You have reached a daily limit for using decoder service.
Paid access will be implemented in few days.
   I hadn't used the vin checker for over a month so I'm unsure how I would reach a daily limit, unless the limit is 0 So I registered as a private individual on the website it links to and they want 5 euro for a vin check.

Does anyone else use that checker and have the same issue or has anyone else got a link to a BMW vin checker that provides info on the options etc?

they all seem to have gone AWOL.  mdecoder gave me the same issue.  I suspect that's the API info from BMW being passed back through their web server.

Yup they are nearly all dead.  Some will still give partial model info.

Odd that the owners of the websites have not noticed.

I'm having the same problem. Mdecoder is a valuable resource when looking at cars you might buy, or options on cars at pickapart etc.

• Like 2

BMW appear to have been clamping down on unofficial VIN decoders, and in some cases have taken legal action to have sites remove the facility - one of the Russian sites reported the unavailability of their service (3 lookups for free in any 24 hour period) as being directly due to a legal request from BMW. I don't think any fines or financial actions have been issued.

If true, I have to wonder why? I can't see an upside for them in preventing owners, operators and businesses being able to check parts suitability. Unless there is the potential for a more nefarious activity, in which every other manufacturer worldwide would surely be doing the same?

1 hour ago, gjm said:

If true, I have to wonder why? I can't see an upside for them in preventing owners, operators and businesses being able to check parts suitability. Unless there is the potential for a more nefarious activity, in which every other manufacturer worldwide would surely be doing the same?

My theory is somebody approached them with a business model...

• Entrepreneur: Hey BMW do you know people are using your data for free when you could charge for it?
  • BMW: Yes, but it's too much trouble, we can't be bothered.
  • E: If you give us access, and empower us to issue takedowns, we'll charge customers and pay you a royalty.
  • B: What do we have to do?
  • E: Profit.
  • B: Okay.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

Yup I've noticed this too. But I've paid 5 euro for 5 lookups.  It's a valuable tool...

I'd happily pay a couple of dollars to do a VIN check. I'm amazed the service ran for free as long as it did, it can't be free to get that information from bmw databases? 

Many of them were once paid.  It will be sad to see them stop having access to the API.

I'm happy to pay if I was potentially buying a vehicle.  But most of the time I'm just being nosy.

7 hours ago, gjm said:

My question would be how the sites were getting access to the data, as even very recently built cars were on the unofficial sites.

55 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

My question would be how the sites were getting access to the data, as even very recently built cars were on the unofficial sites.

$$$$$$ easy. There's corruption everywhere

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Surely this will get reversed with right to repair legislation kicking up a storm. 

18 hours ago, F10er said:

I've been using this one since mdecoder went down. Not sure how long it will last though.

https://bimmertool.com

It's down now - for "maintenance"

18 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

$$$$$$ easy. There's corruption everywhere

Hmmm, i'm not so sure, the information would have to come from a very central source. I would imagine it's either been previously publically available, or there was as open route into once of the IT systems that has now been found and closed for security.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It's down now - for "maintenance"

Hmmm, i'm not so sure, the information would have to come from a very central source. I would imagine it's either been previously publically available, or there was as open route into once of the IT systems that has now been found and closed for security.

It will be an official API that was shared.

Just like all the BMW software that was shared came out of Russia originally, I would say this API did too.

Simply a key would have been shared.  But now that key looks to have been killed off or heavily restricted.

A bit too technical for me Dan, but somehow these sites were getting access to the data behind the BMW systems. 

On 8/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, KillerX said:

This one might be worth trying  https://bimmercat.com/bmw/language/en

Yeah that’s one of the parts catalogue (ETK) copies, which pulls even more data from somewhere.

Glad I got to use mdecoder in time when purchasing my G20 a few weeks ago, got much more info about the options it had from there than the dealer! 

Edited by Navin

3 minutes ago, Navin said:

Glad I got to use mdecoder in time when purchasing my G20 a few weeks ago, got much more info about the options it had from there than the dealer! 

Yes, although it was 8 months ago now it was invaluable when I was looking for my 130i.

All of the build and retrofit information is stored in the car so it can be retrieved if you plug it in to ISTA but that doesn't really help if you're filtering out over the internet from the comfort of your home.

Do any of these give the run down of extras?  Tried them, didn't seem to

23 hours ago, LemonHunter said:

Do any of these give the run down of extras?  Tried them, didn't seem to

They used to.  Do you mean the alternatives posted?

Bastards - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Big grills, shitty FWD CUVs, and restricting information access. Todays BMW suck.

Edited by Jacko
  • Sad 2

On 10/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, Jacko said:

Yes, it went offline at about 8pm last night. ? Never fear, there's a cabal of Bimmersporters that know better anyway. 

Fortunately it's still embedded in DIS/ISTA but much more of a PITA to access. First the VIN checker, now TIS, I bet BimmerGeeks or RealOEM is next.

$3,800 per annum. ?

Edited by M3AN

Seem pretty intent on hurting the enthusiast. 

• Like 2