Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

No longer able to copy car photos off TradeMe

Discovered today that you can no longer copy and paste car photos off TradeMe Adverts.  A real nuisance. 

Sent them a rather direct message about how I felt about this.  Not likely to make any difference as they have probably made the change to stop car scammers.

The Fun Police strike again.

• Like 1

It will be to direct traffic to them.  Scammers will just save the picture.
Also might be to stop requests after the auctions have ended and the pictures no longer exist on their servers.

But yeah it it is annoying.

You can still do it, it's just more of a PITA.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1385925307.jpg

1385925307.jpg

If you're on firefox on a mac - right click then "view background image." If you hold down command at the same time it will open in a new tab.

In Chrome you need to inspect element and manually pull the url.

In safari you can inspect element and then click on the resources tab, then the images folder which will show all images blown up to full size.

• Like 1

I hate everything about the new search-centric layout. I used to enjoy browsing cars just by clicking the brand from a page of brands and seeing what was cool. Now I have to use filters to do the same thing. 

Even downloading photos from a listing is painful now. 

The new layout is painful. Lack of filters and so on - used to be able to choose multiple areas to search in (my region, and neighbouring regions) but can't do that now.

2 hours ago, leichtbau said:

If you're on firefox on a mac - right click then "view background image." If you hold down command at the same time it will open in a new tab.

In Chrome you need to inspect element and manually pull the url.

In safari you can inspect element and then click on the resources tab, then the images folder which will show all images blown up to full size.

Excellent guidance, thank you. 

I have worked out how to get them in Chrome.  Its now a 5 step process without having to type a URL.

New Trade Me changes are an absolute disaster. Such a headache to use. 

Probably just need everyone to keep complaining where possible. 

I can't seem to be able to search via fuel type or body shape any more. Absolute state of it.

...and there doesn't appear to be a way to search "expired listings" anymore.

1 hour ago, paulo said:

...and there doesn't appear to be a way to search "expired listings" anymore.

Dammit, I noticed I couldn't do that on mobile recently too. That's an absolutely key feature they did a good job of hiding (unlike eBay where it's a standard filter type) to determine market price, going rates. 

Previously, if an auction finished without the vehicle meeting reserve, the reserve price was shown. (as long as a bid had been placed). Not now from what I can see.

I went into trademe as part of a research to give feedback about the new motors section.

I gave them a lot of s#!+ and pointed out every one of the things mentioned above... 

bit of a disaster really..

They broke it IMO.

Mobile app still seems to work as before though.

Didn't know this was all happening. Though I never hid my hatred for the dumpster fire that is trademe, I didn't expect them to make it even worse. Or did I? No I did, it's absolute trash. 

• Like 1

pretty much, just sign in with your trademe username and details and off you go.

has nice things like scheduling bids ahead of time if you dont want to forget to bid on an auction etc.

I'd forgive TM every sin under the sun if they banned Rob_ from ever commenting on an auction again.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I'd forgive TM every sin under the sun if they banned Rob_ from ever commenting on an auction again.

...and if they banned time-wasting users like taeb01. He has a habit of asking “.” as a question. Usually on $1 reserve Euro car auctions. Not sure why he does it - but it annoys TF out of me!! Eg:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-2744793764.htm

I wish bid bud would update their interface and bring it into this century, whilst not killing functionality. 

34 minutes ago, paulo said:

...and if they banned time-wasting users like taeb01. He has a habit of asking “.” as a question. Usually on $1 reserve Euro car auctions. Not sure why he does it - but it annoys TF out of me!! Eg:

I'd bet its like the idiots that comment F on Facebook posts to follow them. Commenting adds it to your watch list. 

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

My own personal online stalker. Creepy! 

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I have seen this guy too.  Has to be a car dealer.

• waste of time. he was hours late to pick the car up. although he had bought the car he refused to pay, tried to negotiate, then left. 
  • Clicked buy now without talking to us or looking at the car, showed up to pick up and decided he didn't want it. Waste of time. Looks like he has done that a few times by others feedback. 
  • Buyer would not pay for car without driving. Although it was explained to him that the car is not insured so he can’t drive before payment. if he doesn’t want the car I will happily give him back his cash. Refused to pay. Never trade with this guy. Don’t ever do buy now if you’re a game player 
  • Mucked me around with pick up time was over 2 hours late with poor communication.