Sign in to follow this  
sobanoodle

X5: 30d vs 35d what's the difference?

I am casually looking at X5s and noticed an interesting detail after decoding a couple of 35d's VINs. They all come up as Type: X5 30dx.

What's the actual difference then? Are engine outputs different? And how do I know if the one I'm looking at is actually a 35d and not 30d labelled as 35d, if they're actually different...

From what I gather 35d is a 3.0T and 40d is a 3.0TT (same as my current 640d and I bloody love it). What is a 30d then? 

PS: we are talking about F15.

Cheers

F15 30d’s with the n57 engine are labelled as 35d ex-Japan / USA. Similarly in Japan they call the 520d a 523d and their 120i F20 is actually a 118i

so an an NZ x5 of the same spec is actually a 30d?.By then a x35d is actually a x40d right?

Yep figured that out after a bit of searching through forums.

30d=35d. Single turbo.

40d is a twin turbo.

Crap, thought 35d would be similar to 535d/335d.

I think 35d should still be higher torque and power than 30d even though both are single turbo. 

Rather than make a heap of engines in different capacities the recent approach has been to use the same core engine and either “unter” or “ober” tune it, so engines are technically referred to as XxxB30O or xxxB30U depending on outputs - which may be just a tune or might be more turbos.

Due to the number models this then theoretically gives some markets may offer the 30d version of the 3.0ltr diesel whilst others may opt for the 35d version. I still believe it’s a different model (although very similar) with different power.

To be totally sure find the exact model code, the four character code, for the two different models then google that to check the power outputs. Pretty sure the NZ 30d was a KW42 model code...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Yep figured that out after a bit of searching through forums.

30d=35d. Single turbo.

40d is a twin turbo.

Crap, thought 35d would be similar to 535d/335d.

for extra confusion the 640d has the same twin turbo N57Z as the 335d (but with lower torque)

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

for extra confusion the 640d has the same twin turbo N57Z as the 335d (but with lower torque)

Umm same 630Nm, same N57D30T1

On 8/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I think 35d should still be higher torque and power than 30d even though both are single turbo. 

Rather than make a heap of engines in different capacities the recent approach has been to use the same core engine and either “unter” or “ober” tune it, so engines are technically referred to as XxxB30O or xxxB30U depending on outputs - which may be just a tune or might be more turbos.

Due to the number models this then theoretically gives some markets may offer the 30d version of the 3.0ltr diesel whilst others may opt for the 35d version. I still believe it’s a different model (although very similar) with different power.

To be totally sure find the exact model code, the four character code, for the two different models then google that to check the power outputs. Pretty sure the NZ 30d was a KW42 model code...

Is there any way with the VIN number to find out what power a 35D from Japan actually has? Ive looked on Mdecoder but the results are a bit hit and miss - my E70 30D is showing as 210klw (I doubt it) but another E70 im looking at buying  thats a "Japanese 35D" has no power rating. Why are all the VIN decoders gone or wrong now days?

@FRT that power sounds right for an early sd / 35d (i.e. M57 twin turbo) E70. The LCI version got the twin-turbo N57 with 225kw. The Japanese 35d are all the euro-spec 30d (so 180kw, single turbo) as far as I know, some of them have 'BlueEfficiency' urea injection which are probably best avoided.

bimmer.work seems to be the best of the VIN decoders

@balancerider ok thank you, yes that site works but some info is not right on the build sheet compared to the photos ive seen from japan of this X5. My e70 is a 30d so i think that's just 173klw but it does go pretty well for the poverty model. But yes indeed the 35d im looking at is with the Blueefficency  and was going to get that uncoded that if i got it.

14 hours ago, FRT said:

Is there any way with the VIN number to find out what power a 35D from Japan actually has? Ive looked on Mdecoder but the results are a bit hit and miss - my E70 30D is showing as 210klw (I doubt it) but another E70 im looking at buying  thats a "Japanese 35D" has no power rating. Why are all the VIN decoders gone or wrong now days?

Message me the VIN and I can have a look for you.

BMW has cracked down on a lot of 3rd party systems that were accessing central information which has taken down a number of sites. AFAIK to get the info now it has to be “supplied” ex-BMW for a cost.