Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Hang On, New NZ Speed Restrictions!!!

Saw that couple days ago, but realistically they can only pull someone up that is the stand out one in a group of vehicles right?

2 minutes ago, my_e36 said:

Saw that couple days ago, but realistically they can only pull someone up that is the stand out one in a group of vehicles right?

This is true but being pulled over isn't the problem, it's all the f'ing imbeciles that will use this as a license to travel at 96km/h or 48km/h. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, M3AN said:

This is true but being pulled over isn't the problem, it's all the f'ing imbeciles that will use this as a license to travel at 96km/h or 48km/h. 

you will be lucky it will be like 95 indicated which as we all know is actually only about 90,I am sure it these same imbeciles who suddenly brake on the motorway when they realise they are doing 101,because i cant see any other reson for braking at all

Edited by kiwi535

13 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Man I wish I was worried about 96 in a 100 which utopia do you live in lol.

I wish people would manage more than 80-85 in a 100.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another exceptional example of smart policy, if your policy goal is maybe to increase revenues that is.

with the traffic in akl these days im lucky to be doing 40km/h on the motorway so no worries.

but all in all, its can only be described as revenue generating move.

even if i set my cruise control at 100, it will creep up and down depending on the terrain and even if it was dead straight at 100 i dont know if thats truely 100 or 95.

@qube that targeting method opens up to the broader driving styles, and takes focus from the outliers

edit - I guess this question really sums up how i feel

Why target 100 people a week doing 110kmh in a 100km zone when you can target 100,000 drivers doing 103kmh in an 100kmh zone.

I guess we'll need more police now to keep up with the demand in speed infringement issuance.

Edited by 325_driver

What I don't understand is that we already have legislation to manage this type of thing however the penalties and weak and not very well enforced. Same goes for liquor laws, we've got the rules, just no one bothers to enforce them

• Like 1

Having recently been pinged for 61 in a 50, down a one way street I have to believe this is purely revenue driven. So much so, that where I was pinged is visible from my office, and four days out of five there's a marked car sitting just over a blind crest. It's an area with no schools, no houses, the biggest threat a speeding car would be is to the local rabbit population.

26 minutes ago, qube said:

even if i set my cruise control at 100, it will creep up and down depending on the terrain and even if it was dead straight at 100 i dont know if thats truely 100 or 95.

I don't have a BMW with cruise control currently, but both Mercs are deadly accurate to what you set it to, both up and down hills. I've independently verified it with GPS, and 104kph is 104kph.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

...where I was pinged is visible from my office, and four days out of five there's a marked car sitting just over a blind crest...

And you got pinged. ?

Sorry. ?

• Like 1

Best way to fight these sort of issues is for people to dispute the infringement and go to court,  courts will get overwhelmed quick if enough people do it then they likely be forced to backtrack. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And you got pinged. ?

Sorry. ?

Pinged by an unmarked car at night. Prior to their new found daily lunch spot.

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Best way to fight these sort of issues is for people to dispute the infringement and go to court,  courts will get overwhelmed quick if enough people do it then they likely be forced to backtrack. 

Yes. And your first argument is that you can't be held accountable for the inevitable variances in measuring equipment, recently calibrated or otherwise. i.e. a car speedo (+/-5km/h), or a speed camera/gun (+/-3km/h).

They originally justified the "tolerance" on "measuring equipment" variances. Use it against them.

Edited by M3AN

@M3AN having just disputed something on the gorge on that exact thing , I was assured that this is no longer the case, the camera technology now does not even have those margins of errors.

It's now mentioned somewhere on the fixed cameras documentation now too.

I made it all the way to the Ombudsman in my dispute. Iol, then gave up and paid $80

Edited by 325_driver

Having worked on scenario modelling using software and databases that cost ~>100 million to setup and rent supercomputer time to process, I just cringe whenever I read things like the police media release ' going 10km/h slower in a crash reduces risk of fatality by x %' so we are just going to cut the 10km/h tolerance. Nothing works like that in the real world and often you get the opposite effect. Some things I would expect to see if this was properly considered, each may have only a fractional input but together could have the opposite effect.

- physical factors including complacency effect or drowsiness

-Increased risk taking to overtake

- Increased road rage

- increased speed differential between hoons and general population

- increased time spent looking at speedo and not the road

-worsening skills of drivers as speed limits reduce

-cheaper tires bought as people no longer see less value in high performance tires

- older drivers continuing to drive longer (feeling less pressure to keep up speed)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, andrewm said:

Having worked on scenario modelling using software and databases that cost ~>100 million to setup and rent supercomputer time to process, I just cringe whenever I read things like the police media release ' going 10km/h slower in a crash reduces risk of fatality by x %' so we are just going to cut the 10km/h tolerance. Nothing works like that in the real world and often you get the opposite effect. Some things I would expect to see if this was properly considered, each may have only a fractional input but together could have the opposite effect.

- physical factors including complacency effect or drowsiness

-Increased risk taking to overtake

- Increased road rage

- increased speed differential between hoons and general population

- increased time spent looking at speedo and not the road

-worsening skills of drivers as speed limits reduce

-cheaper tires bought as people no longer see less value in high performance tires

- older drivers continuing to drive longer (feeling less pressure to keep up speed)

Get out of here with your logic and voodoo magic - NZ Police 2020 probably. 

This is going to be an absolute f**king disaster for the Wairarapa. There are NO passing lanes on State Highway 2 anywhere in the Wairarapa bar the three on the Remutaka Hill of which two are two of the most dangerous ones in NZ.

Stuck behind a prick doing 80? Too bad. Stay there. The revenue vultures patrol it constantly too. Especially on the straights between Masterton and Woodville where you have the safest chance of passing.

There is a petition out there. Last I saw it had a lot of signitures. 

We had a German farm girl helping out on farm last year, she was pleased to spend a lot of time dealing with the trailer as towing a trailer requires a seperate licence back in Germany. It would appear there is a lot of room for improving the standards of driver education in NZ. Sorry for the kids who are finding it hard already, but you are dealing with something that can kill when you inevitably f**k it up. More lowest common denominator policy from police, disappointed but not really surprised.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m325i said:

Do I need a radar detector for inner city 30km zones? :huh:

Someone was advertising a Jammer in the for sale section.

• Like 1

Tbh the police will probably still use their own judgement anyway. They have always been able to ticket you for going over the limit, tolerance or not. 

If you're a couple of km over, driving normally and not in a sh*t box all over the road it's likely they will ignore you. 

If you fail the attitude test if they pull you over, no amount of tolerance was going to save you anyway. 

I'm not sure what it means for speed cameras though, as from what I've read it doesn't clarify if they still have a tolerance or not, just that officers don't. 

here’s hoping KwS, that common sense will prevail. 

unpopular opinion but the open road limit needs to be dropped to 90. Maybe not all the time but between the hours of say 6am-9pm or so. 

reason for this, legal limit of heavy vehicles and towing vehicles creates a huge rolling road block (this will be exacerbated with no tolerance as passing won’t happen as often). 

Those who don’t have the confidence or competence to do this limit (especially at the sight or a corner or a bridge giving the perception the lane narrows) also create rolling road block. Make it worse as they are usually ones who speed up on passing lanes without realising. Mainly those driving Nissan Tiidas or the likes. 

Having the discrepancy in speed limits makes some drivers feel it is their right to do 100, and make that well known to slower vehicles (tail gating etc). 

The amount of traffic on our open roads has greatly increased, as well as more driveways due to more houses being built/properties sub divided. 

Open road driving during daylight hours in this country is painful. 

I note police are taking advantage of the recently reduce limits across the Waikato (100-80kmh), constantly patrol these areas (SH39 Te Kowhai, Mystery Creek, Ohaupo - Te Awamutu). Too bad they don’t place as much emphasis on motorists not having their lights on in thick fog or tailgaters. 

Edited by coop

Or dickheads on cellphones in traffic ?

Speeding is literally just the lowest hanging fruit. So easy to police. 

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, coop said:

here’s hoping KwS, that common sense will prevail. 

unpopular opinion but the open road limit needs to be dropped to 90. Maybe not all the time but between the hours of say 6am-9pm or so. 

reason for this, legal limit of heavy vehicles and towing vehicles creates a huge rolling road block (this will be exacerbated with no tolerance as passing won’t happen as often). 

Those who don’t have the confidence or competence to do this limit (especially at the sight or a corner or a bridge giving the perception the lane narrows) also create rolling road block. Make it worse as they are usually ones who speed up on passing lanes without realising. Mainly those driving Nissan Tiidas or the likes. 

Having the discrepancy in speed limits makes some drivers feel it is their right to do 100, and make that well known to slower vehicles (tail gating etc). 

The amount of traffic on our open roads has greatly increased, as well as more driveways due to more houses being built/properties sub divided. 

Open road driving during daylight hours in this country is painful. 

I note police are taking advantage of the recently reduce limits across the Waikato (100-80kmh), constantly patrol these areas (SH39 Te Kowhai, Mystery Creek, Ohaupo - Te Awamutu). Too bad they don’t place as much emphasis on motorists not having their lights on in thick fog or tailgaters. 

Surely we should have a guy walking in front of all cars waving a red flag and the car driver honking the horn instead of dropping the open road speed limit to 90kph.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This just emphasis's the need for a Radar Detector, not so I can do 130kph but so I dont get an unnecessary ticket for doing 106kph when traffic is flowing smoothly or I am on a clear road in perfect driving conditions. Mine has save me form this fate on so many occasions now it has paid for itself many times over. 

• Like 2