Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

Used car prices and availablity

Maybe due to Covid , import laws, or just me, but i feel like everything has gone up in price (incl worn out money pits) and there seems is a distinct lack of older stuff for sale ie < 90's

I dont browse facebook etc much as its too mentally exhausting so maybe im not seeing all there is.

• Like 1

New ESC import regulations, COVID, shortage of supply from Japan due to exchange rates.

Many different reasons in that part of the market. Seems to have bounced back quickly and strongly in terms of demand.

Not for selling crumbling NZ New Maximas though. i am struggling to get 4k for it, replacing it with something else will be hard.

yet the yards are still saying buying is still happening in Japan? I dunno, FB marketplace has slim pickings when it comes to Bimmers and Mercs.. 

Used market is driven by the new market. There isn't enough new stock coming in which limits the amount of 'fresh used stock which in turn drives the prices up

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Used market is driven by the new market. There isn't enough new stock coming in which limits the amount of 'fresh used stock which in turn drives the prices up

Yeah it's certainly one of the reasons but from what i see that doesn't apply too much for older 'classic' cars. I can only summize that people are who own those cars in this day and age don't want to sell them.

9 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Not for selling crumbling NZ New Maximas though. i am struggling to get 4k for it, replacing it with something else will be hard.

yet the yards are still saying buying is still happening in Japan? I dunno, FB marketplace has slim pickings when it comes to Bimmers and Mercs.. 

From what ive experienced finding stuff on facebook via search seems like playing Pinata. Plenty of more modern BM and Mercs available on the market though, AMG 55's and 63's aren't in short supply, 

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Yeah it's certainly one of the reasons but from what i see that doesn't apply too much for older 'classic' cars. I can only summize that people are who own those cars in this day and age don't want to sell them.

Money is also cheap to borrow at the moment, people can't travel either so are looking for a vice. Classic cars may just be that vice.

• Like 2

Certainly not helping but you still need people to willing to sell

11 hours ago, Gaz said:

Money is also cheap to borrow at the moment, people can't travel either so are looking for a vice. Classic cars may just be that vice.

Pretty much why I bought the M4. My travel plans were f**ked, needed some fun in my life...