Sign in to follow this  
arcon

Flipping indicator / wiper controls

Is it possible to have the indicator and wiper controls flipped to the proper sides? Any idea what sort of cost would be involved? Most euro imports are mounted in reverse & while its not an issue for me I won't be the only one driving the next car lol.Thanks for any info.

• Haha 2

Short answer "NO" they can't be swap'd

If anyone can't adapt to something so simple they probably need to handle in their license.

i havent had BMW for a little while now but every now and then i still flick the indicators or wipers in error.Its ussually when i wash the screen rather than approaching an intersection 

Edited by kiwi535

I was watching a video on youtube last night where a high hp street racing audi caught fire, the brakes failed, and the electric e brake didn't work. Basically had to stay in a burning car until it lost enough momentum as the owner stupidly chose not to grind the wall to slow down. 

Back in my day, pull the handle and it works. Bam. Technology for the sake of making it easy for dumb people sucks. 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Who says that is the "proper sides' ??  - the majority of cars on the planet are as per the Indicator on the left/ wipers on the  convention  time for flat earthers to adapt ? 

It used to depend on RHD/LHD. The indicator stalk was on the opposite side to the gearlever, so for RHD drive cars it was on the right. UK cars changed to "align" with the EC - so it was the in the wrong place. Trying to change gear and indicate with the same hand at the same time became difficult (there was already a problem with foot operated dipswitches and using the clutch at the same time - but I digress). So when we drive LHD country sourced cars, the manufacturers don't bother to change the indicator position over. (Not that long ago they didn't even change the wipers, or the position of the brake cylinder either - like on the E30.)

We'd be used to this if the Japanese hadn't continued the correct way on their cars - indicators on the right...

I was only giving the historical perspective. Gearless cars have superseded the requirement - although I'm impressed if you can change gear and indicate at the same time.

Re the brake cylinder - renew the brake crossbar bushes on a Mk I  Golf GTI.  The brakes are fantastic! ...for 3 months or so....

21 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Another stupid  un-feature of the same highlander was it's keyless entry / locking system so

Rock up to the paddock down the road , jump out and lock the car, check the door handle to confirm it's locked and it unlocks - Solution:

Rock up to the paddock gate lock the car - chuck the key at least 30 metres into the next paddock then check the handle - bugger left the phone in the  car - walk 30 metres into the paddock spend 20 minutes looking for the key - put the key back in the vehicle parked on the side of the road and hope someone steels the useless POS 

have to disagree with that one, its just your insecurity that you check the handle, I love keyless entry, key fob only comes out of pocket when pants are changed and wifes is somewhere in the bottomless pit of a handbag, its so nice to never have to fumble for a key, you can here it lock anyway

On 9/4/2020 at 10:35 PM, jom said:

I was only giving the historical perspective. Gearless cars have superseded the requirement - although I'm impressed if you can change gear and indicate at the same time.

As mentioned, you get used to it. You learn to time shifts around using the indicator. 

Indicate first then shift, let everyone know your intentions before you act. Common sense no?

• Like 3

^^^ this!  Back when I learned to drive, it was simple.  "Signal, Brake, Clutch (gear)".  Communicating your intention first priority!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Olaf said:

^^^ this!  Back when I learned to drive, it was simple.  "Signal, Brake, Clutch (gear)".  Communicating your intention first priority!

Shame they don't teach that anymore. Now it's brake in the middle of the road randomly, turn and indicate (optional) at the same time.

And Mirror comes before signal (or it used to). Another loss to the Art of Driving.....

• Like 1

All is not lost, Jo.  I'm teaching my offspring this, whilst attempting to filter any of the bad habits acquired over the last 38 years of licensed driving (even more without).

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

All is not lost, Jo.  I'm teaching my offspring this, whilst attempting to filter any of the bad habits acquired over the last 38 years of licensed driving (even more without).

I claim insanity. I had a pilot's licence before a driving one. Still scan all the instruments, keep looking around, check the altitude.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, arcon said:

Is it possible to have the indicator and wiper controls flipped to the proper sides? Any idea what sort of cost would be involved? Most euro imports are mounted in reverse & while its not an issue for me I won't be the only one driving the next car lol.Thanks for any info.

Its not possible due to the hoses for the indicator fluid reservoir unfortunately.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:16 PM, jom said:

...Still scan all the instruments, keep looking around, check the altitude.....

Straight ahead, instruments, right mirror, rear view, instruments, left mirror, straight ahead, instruments, right mirror, rear view, instruments, left mirror, straight...

Sounds exhausting for a Sunday drive! ?

Edited by M3AN