Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

E36 key spinning in tumbler

Murphy's law. Have a couple people coming to view the E36 tomorrow and the keys are playing up on me. One key just spins in the tumbler. After googling the forums people were saying the lock pin breaks off and to secure with a grub screw. Tried another key, it "engages" and clicks into "ON" but no crank. The valet key works fine. Anyone have any experience with this? My guess is the chip in the key that won't crank is shot and the key that spins is worn? I do have an EWS deleted DME I could try but won't to sort the problem properly. 

Car is a 1995 E36 328i EWSII. 

20200904_191250.thumb.jpg.f343864fe3e83179424667314af9ff62.jpg

So, both alternative keys engage with the lock and turn the barrel but the main key does not?

And the spare key won't start the car?

Try holding the (edit: head of the) main key up to the ignition whilst attempting to start the car with the spare (not valet) key.

Edited by M3AN

7 minutes ago, M3AN said:

So, both alternative keys engage with the lock and turn the barrel but the main key does not?

And the spare key won't start the car?

Try holding the (edit: head of the) main key up to the ignition whilst attempting to start the car with the spare (not valet) key.

Yip that's right. Main key just keeps turning. Other key engages but won't start. 

Yea I've tried that hoping the good chip key would be able to get close enough. No cigar. 

Mine did that, but only because the key wasnt the right one for the car (given two keys with car, one worked and spun sometimes, one spun in the barrel every time). 

I drilled a hole in the bottom and ran a screw up to lock the barrel. There is a slot in the barrel that the screw is engaging with, but you have to drill it in the right place.

https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/2019/02/bmw-m328i-spinning-ignition-barrel-fix/

DSC03864.jpg

• Like 1

OK cool so this actually works. Might do that right now and hopefully the key that sometimes spins/sometimes starts will lock in

• Like 1

Damn, it's obviously been a long day and I'm not thinking. I think we had two different faults. I see yours is EWSI as there's no antenna ring. I drilled it anyway with no success. 

My key spun around and around in the barrel, is that not what you mean?

33 minutes ago, KwS said:

My key spun around and around in the barrel, is that not what you mean?

Yip for one of the keys. It would usually catch if I kept trying. Now that I've drilled it, it wont work at all ?. Only the valet key works. Wonder if BMW still has access to spares if I give them the vin. 

15 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Yip for one of the keys. It would usually catch if I kept trying. Now that I've drilled it, it wont work at all ?. Only the valet key works. Wonder if BMW still has access to spares if I give them the vin. 

they should be able to get the key code if you provide the VIN to your dealer, then you can get it cut by a good locksmith.

Winner winner. Told the guy all of the E36's faults. Took it anyway. Somebody sell me an E39 touring. 

• Like 1