3pedals

Half arsed owners / Mechanics?

Decided it was time to get to know the  M47 a bit better in our recently acquired X3  primarily to track down the source of the  stored EGR valve fault  and give the valve a clean up 

The valve was a mess with between 6 & 10mm of gunk  built up - hole in the middle was about 40mm diameter. The inlet to the manifold was similarly blocked - and the main reason the valve was not operating and faults not showing was the vacuum line had been removed. 

Spent a few hours cleaning and polishing it all up to restore as new air flow potential after establishing the valve moved freely and then went on the hunt for the vacuuum line - found two!

One clearly fitted the vacuum diaphragm on the  so reinstated that  - the other had been cut and one end plugged - the other end goes to the swirl flap control diaphragm  so the engine is either only being filled by one inlet valve or the swirl flaps have been deleted? 

Next weekends' task - remove  the manifold to check whether it has swirl flaps and decide whether to reactivate or remove. 

Short test drive suggests they have been removed because with the EGR valve cleaned it now goes rather well for a standard tune 110kW diesel. 

P.S Race chip ordered - to boost output to 130kW and 390Nm 

• Like 1

Update- it still has the swirl flaps in place - staggering that they have been left in situ &  disconnected some serious F-witt retards out there.

Will probably delete them as they are leaking  boost and oil and the boost chip will benefit from reduced restriction 

Par for the underwhelming course, both brake wear sensors have also been 'defeated' 

Why to people go to such effort to devalue their  cars - for a measly $500 I'm transforming the slightly sluggish / rattly oil burner in a really nice daily / beach hack / bike transporter. 

Picked up a Swirl flap delete kit as this was the easiest solution - buying fresh swirl flaps was not an option. 

So:

• set about removing manifold which is quite easy - confirmed flaps were all in place and closed so the hair dryer has been trying to blow through the long skinny intake tract and 1 inlet valve 
  • equally the engine has been trying to suck through one inlet valve so there must have been a huge pressure loss/ cylinder filling challenge at decent RPM ( like over 1500 RPM) 

Runners looked pretty clean and only needed a mild clean up 

Removed the flap actuation system except the electrically controlled valve (ECV) - others say you have  to leave the vacuum diaphragm and the actuating rod in place but I don't believe this is required - as long as the DME knows the ECV is functioning it shouldn't throw a fault. 

Gave it all a good clean and reassembled - to about 2 hours to remove , recondition and reinstall. 

Fired it up , no fault lights or issues, went for a quick test drive WOW what a difference 3rd, 4th & 5th gears it rips through the revs at a decent rate 

before and after images attached 

IMG_20200912_112736.jpg

IMG_20200912_112749.jpg

IMG_20200912_120702.jpg

Edited by 3pedals
  • Like 5

Chip done , took just over a week from Germany , now have a stupidly quick 2 litre diesel X3 !

• 73kw & 216Nm / Tonne  vs 
  • 81kW & 252Nm / Tonne for the X5 (diesel) & 
  • 126kW & 229Nm / Tonne for the warmed up 328 (petrol)

- Time to get a bit more serious with the 328? 

Edited by 3pedals
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

328 still probably quicker to 400m than the diesels though?

almost certainly but i wonder about say 80-120

21 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

almost certainly but i wonder about say 80-120

Buttometer suggests the X5 at 190kW and 600Nm wins this hands down - it's got a serious amount of shove in the seat shovelling 600Nm in 3rd or 4th gear 

10 hours ago, curryinahurry said:

@3pedalswhere did you order your tuning chip from? I'm considering doing it for my E46 330d - just not sure if its worthwhile.

Bought a 'race chip' from Race chip in Germany - Ive  had  one on the X5 for about 2 years and they are so easy to fit and so well sorted , I have the base version for both as the 5 now has 350,000 km on the clock and the 3 has 200,000. 

The X5 uses about 12% less fuel - now sits around 8.3l/100k  down from 9. 3 and is much easier to drive  chip  cost recovered in fuel savings in 18 months should have done it 5 years ago , thats why it was high on my list for the X3 - link for you  below.  Very easy to deal with and awesome delivery  both times.

P.S  have the manifold  & EGR Valve cleaned out before you do it  

https://www.racechip.com/shop/bmw/3-series-e46-1998-to-2005/330d-2926ccm-184hp-135kw-390nm.html

Edited by 3pedals
  • Like 2

plus it seems they are having a 100 euro discount, and that means even with 15% GST, it should be just over $1100 in cost For the top end model. 

Edited by lord_jagganath

The base version 'S'  and the "RS" offer great ROI for effective benefits the 'GTS' at 449 Euro is aimed at the " Feature & Novelty " sector and IMV offers a significantly reduced value ( bang for buck) .

last thing I am interested in is having an app on my phone to fiddle with my car? - just choose well, enjoy the benefit  and move on to the next thing that spins your wheels   

• Thanks 1

Fresh Ate pads fitted to X3 this morning along with brake wear sensors which had been bypassed- Now stops as well as it goes.

Koni shocks and H&R springs ordered  time to bring the handling up to the performance. 

Once they are in on go a set of Conti cross contact UHP's 

Also looking for a bigger rear sway bar  20 to 22 mm  any one know if other models run a bigger bar - one fitted is 17.5mm 

Edited by 3pedals