Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

Tyre "Repair" Kits (Flat Tyre Kits)

I have a "repair in a can" type product but have never used one. Are they actually any good?

What about the ones with a pump (like the BMW mobility kit), are they better? Something like this on special for ~$75?

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/4x4-adventure-escape/travel-touring/air-tyre/slime-smart-spair-flat-tyre-repair-kit-50107/p/A1287884

If it was going to do an "okay" job and get me, say 50-100kms to a service centre, it's probably worth 75 bucks. If they're a PITA and will only get me up the street then it's not really worth it, I'd just wait for recovery.

Experience? Opinions?  

I have one of these, it’s about three years old and I be never used it. So I’m also interested to find out!

I did notice another can of tyre weld I have has expired - something to consider that they don’t appear to last forever... 

• Like 1

Once you fill the tyre with goo, you have to replace it, so only really helpful in times where the tyre is irreparable so bear that in mind. I can't remember the success rate but I was told it was fairly low and most ended up needing a tow as the goo didn't stop the leak. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gaz said:

Once you fill the tyre with goo, you have to replace it, so only really helpful in times where the tyre is irreparable so bear that in mind. I can't remember the success rate but I was told it was fairly low and most ended up needing a tow as the goo didn't stop the leak. 

Why would you need to replace it? I've heard of people just washing the goo out and patching it. I can't see why the goo would destroy the tyre? But I can imagine some tyre shops would just refuse to deal with it... just like I've encountered several who would refuse to fix easily patchable tyres and try to sell me a new one, when I've been able to go elsewhere to get it patched...

I've kept a pump + can of goo for years. Had several punctures and I've never needed to use the goo so far. Pumping it back up has gotten me far enough to get to a tyre shop.

Suppose if the puncture was larger or this was far from town I might need the goo. 

Edited by Matth5

1 minute ago, Matth5 said:

Why would you need to replace it? I've heard of people just washing the goo out and patching it. I can't see why the goo would destroy the tyre? But I can imagine some tyre shops would just refuse to deal with it... just like I've encountered several who would refuse to fix easily patchable tyres and try to sell me a new one, when I've been able to go elsewhere to get it patched...

I've kept a pump + can of goo for years. Had several punctures and I've never needed to use the goo so far. Pumping it back up has gotten me far enough to get to a tyre shop.

Suppose if the puncture was larger or this was far from town I might need the goo. 

I agree. I have also read about people peeling it off and then fixing. Guess you might want to replace the valve?