Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

MBI: which one should I get?

So, The Activhybrid was supposed to have come with 9 more months of Autosure extreme and Hybrid cover, but the previous owner being a right damn fool (odd considering him being an insurance agent) he didn't keep any of the receipts of the services done. feel rather cheated but don't think I have any recompense (even if the balance of the cover would be worth around $800 or so dollars? )

So, What would be the best company to go with for an MBI? I am going to get the car to get a once over at @BMTHUG's and hopefully will be able to get a new policy elsewhere. Would AutoSure be the best policy still, or are there better companies?

• Like 1

Autosure are awesome. I'd go with them again. 

Does the last owner at least remember where he serviced it? The workshops should have a record of working on the car. Ask him if he can send them a message and get some email/receipts confirming when it was serviced. 

• Like 2

Last owner has been reluctantly helping me out with this, so, I don't know if it is a good idea to approach the workshops direct. I know they usually do not like dealing with "non-paying customers"

the workshops wont release any documents without prev owners permission so its easier for PO to contact them and ask for soft copy via email then he can forward to you.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, lord_jagganath said:

Last owner has been reluctantly helping me out with this, so, I don't know if it is a good idea to approach the workshops direct. I know they usually do not like dealing with "non-paying customers"

All he needs to do is email/call them and then forward the history to you. 

If he won't even do this... Then something isn't right.

8 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

If he won't even do this... Then something isn't right.

I can tell you why, but it won't be PC. 

• Like 1

So I'm up sh*t creek without a paddle. The amount of expletives I want to yell out is so profane. So the first service centre prev. owner sent the car to is now closed, and the second one has only one service done there. so it is wasted, I can only ask Autosure to be kind (but that is unlikely to happen) and for the want of the extra 9 months....Sigh 

Are you really up sh*t creek? I see two scenarios here:

1. The current mbi has been transferred from the previous owner to you, after you paying a fee and the insurer ‘accepting/approving’ the transfer. If this is the case, and the previous owner has not kept up with the servicing requirements, then you maybe up the creek under this policy (although having a conversation with the insurer for accepting the transfer if cover is something you could do to try and get them to honour the cover for the remaining period)

2. You take out a new mbi policy, choosing the cover period and cost. Cover usually starts from the time and kms you took it out. Fyi i bout an autosure mbi from an agent after i purchased my car, which required me paying the premium and having the vehicle serviced within the next 5k kms, then every 15k kms or annually thereafter (check the policy wording for exact requirements), which ever occurs first. This way previous service history is generally not taken into consideration - basically you have a ‘fresh start’.  

hopefully this helps

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, treone said:

hopefully this helps

Thank you! scenario one has yet to occur, as they would probably not accept the transfer. so most likely, I will need to do scenario 2, but that depends on how the Autosure helpdesk interprets things,.

Autosure has come back, saying they can process the transfer, but :-

We confirm receipt of all required transfer documentation.

Please arrange payment of the $150 transfer fee to complete the transfer.

Please note that servicing related claims may be declined as we cannot confirm, the servicing of the vehicle has been maintained.

Am I right in assuming that this means I cannot make any claims with respect to service which is almost everything on the Autosure list? what's the point of it then?  

EDIT AS OF 4.40PM: YEP

Please note that any claims linked to or caused by any serviceable items, like but not limited to transmission, engine, cooling systems etc. may not be covered if servicing invoices cannot be provided.

Edited by lord_jagganath

I have the next day to figure out if I am going to pay $150.00 for a warranty transfer that barely covers anything mechanical in the car, or to say Auf Wiedersehn to the 9 months worth of MBI and get a new MBI from a different company, to start afresh.

I would recommend you get a new mechanical warranty if you plan to keep the car longer than 9 months. 

Ask a BMW dealership if they are willing to organise it for you (it may work out cheaper) otherwise just start fresh from Autosure or else and get the servicing done now.

• Like 1