Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Ehh. BMW FWD VW clone

the reviewer was positively gushing over it. made it sound like they liked it better than the VW. how much did Munich put in their "gift bag" ? 

But it's just another FWD hatch. There is plenty already. 

• Like 2

BMW is the German Toyota, about time they got some FWDs. They're 35 years behind the competitors! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Driftit said:

But it's just another FWD hatch. There is plenty already. 

Hate to break it to you Dan but the 1 Series are all FWD Hatches now.

I think it might have been mentioned somewhere on the Internets, but you might have missed the e-mail. (I nearly said memo - showing my age!!)

Unfortunately emissions controls and fuel consumption over-ride every other consideration these days.

as long as it is a competent machine (unlike the Merc A-Class sedan which is dynamically flawed) any drive is alright. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hate to break it to you Dan but the 1 Series are all FWD Hatches now.

I think it might have been mentioned somewhere on the Internets, but you might have missed the e-mail. (I nearly said memo - showing my age!!)

Unfortunately emissions controls and fuel consumption over-ride every other consideration these days.

Oh I know.  Conforming to boring.  I'ts now the car your Nanna buys.  I expect to see many Green/Cream color combos with zero tech options.

BMW are dead to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

BMW are dead to me. 

As long as they keep building great motors we can rip out and throw in our old Bimmers.

Edited by Driftit

27 minutes ago, Driftit said:

As long as they keep building great motors we can rip out and throw in our old Bimmers.

But they keep mounting them ass about tit... 

You'd have to really want the roundel on your steering wheel to buy this over an A250 AMG Line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

Oh I know.  Conforming to boring.  I'ts now the car your Nanna buys.  I expect to see many Green/Cream color combos with zero tech options.

It always was the car your nanna bought

On 9/17/2020 at 5:14 PM, leichtbau said:

You'd have to really want the roundel on your steering wheel to buy this over an A250 AMG Line.

I thought only bad-taste charlies bought those.  Screams "I want a faaaaast hot hatch, I don't care how ugly it is as it has the right badge".

I had the use of a 118i (3cyl) today. Not sure how I feel about it. The tech is cool (esp HUD with speed limit info and the clever cruise control) and it drove better than the F20 118i with the same engine which felt terribly gutless. However, the ride was actually kind of crap (m-sport, not sure if adaptive susp), much worse than my F30 with adaptive susp and I hate DCT's in low speed traffic, the lurching combined with stop start does my head in. FWD not the worst thing about it but I wouldn't pay $55k for one.

Addendum: This implementation of the BMW dash cluster (seen here on lower end F40) is soooo much nicer than the 'fancy bells and whistles with reverse tacho' version. Wish I could buy one with this...

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.22.04 AM.png