Sign in to follow this  
Craig B

E90 N46 Overheating Issues

Have a 2009 320i e90 wagon

Not long after getting this I (well the wife was actually driving) blew a top radiator hose, so ordered a new one from Silverdale Radiators, this in hindsight was a mistake as it leaked from day one, oh and obviously I cracked the inlet connector on the radiator trying to get the old hose off, great.

Stupidly put some radiator stop leak in it, and seemed to fix the crack, but the new hose just didn't seal properly, so ended up topping up coolant every 3 months or so, until the replaced hose failed catastrophically on a drive home, fortunately only 2 mins from home so got there safe.  Replaced the top hose again and surprise surprise, no leaks, no refreshing coolant.  Life was good for a while.

Then a couple of weeks ago developed a coolant smell in the aircon, shortly followed by steam puffing from the bonnet at the lights, figured it was the cracked radiator, so replaced that, change over went well, but still had same problem, coolant smell in cabin, steam puffing out at intersections (got some pretty funny looks).  Radiator inlet hose was very hot, outlet hose cold, loosing coolant from the belly-pan when stationary, radiator fan not running.

Googled the bejesus out of it and eventually determined mines a 4 cylinder so mechanical water pump, (yah... finally a postie for having the 4 cylinder)  Read lots about cracked head gaskets, broken cooling fans, and that I should get warnings or go into limp mode if coolant system fails, well, none of that, just puffing steam and smell.

Replace the thermostat, which was not too bad to do in place without removing the pump, just need the right torx socket with a swivelly extension, oh and re-insulated the thermostat wiring which is pretty close to the engine so had melted...

Bled system, Started up on stands and what do you know the outlet warmed up and the fan started all by itself, magic.

Took for a run, slight coolant smell, but this was just the excess coolant purging itself.

Lesson:  Don't buy the cheapest parts, DON'T use radiator stop leak, avoid the american youtube videos if you've got a 320i, they mainly seem to have 6 Cylinders

What coolant combo are you using? Your engine shouldnt be overheating and blowing cooling system parts.

You forgot key part of lesson, dont buy 4 pot bmws :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Craig B said:

Lesson:  Don't buy the cheapest parts, DON'T use radiator stop leak, avoid the american youtube videos if you've got a 320i, they mainly seem to have 6 Cylinders

To be fair anyone with a clue would of told you that

• Like 1