Sign in to follow this  
Huttey

1999 540i - Japanese Import

I have just purchased a 1999 540i - Japanese Import and am looking for the most effective solution for getting the radio FM band to cover NZ stations (band expander, replacement radio unit, ????). Has anyone been down this road and found a solution.

Also it has a Nav system which is in Japanese with maps of Japan, can this system be changed/converted to English and does anyone know if there are maps for NZ.

Any help is most appreciated.

Regards Huttey

:jap: to :rolleyes:

i read somewhere the later bmw's had world radios in them , push and hold some button to switch it to nz tunning .

sorry cant remember where i saw it . maybe on bimmersport .

Hey dude

You probably already have a world radio. Put the key into ACC position and hold down the 'm' button for 10 seconds. This will bring up a setup meno that you can scroll through with the < and > buttons. Change the settings using the +/- or number buttons. Using this method, set the area to OCE (Oceania). You get RDS and all.

Good luck!

Thanks Brent and Nimma.

I have searched all the forums I could find but couldn't find a post for World radio.

My 1999 E39 has a MKII Nav and Radio system that doesn't have the "m" button. Do you know the equivalent of the "m" button in my set up.

Thanks Brent and Nimma.

I have searched all the forums I could find but couldn't find a post for World radio.

My 1999 E39 has a MKII Nav and Radio system that doesn't have the "m" button. Do you know the equivalent of the "m" button in my set up.

Isnt the M button on the stereo somewhere ?

I have it to scan through the songs on mine, its under the dash that folds up.

jochen may know and hopefully will see this post and reply

Mine is a small button between the left and right toggle switch. E34 though obviously.

Have talked to Jochen, thanks, any more ideas appreciated

:jap: to :rolleyes:

I have read there is a similar setup for the sat nav radio albeit using a different button to get there. A lot of people use this setup mode to adjust speed sensitivity so try plug a combination of e39 nav and speed sensitivity in google and you should have some luck. e46 fanatics forum is really good, maybe an e39 equivalent out there?

On the Jap Bordmonitor radios (as fitted to the BMWs with Nav systems) the radio service mode is accessed using the TRAFFIC key.

Switch on, press and hold right side of TRAFFIC button, wait for serial number to be displayed.

Won't be a world-tuner model, they appeared from around 2002.

Jochen the BMW Radio Guy