Sign in to follow this  
wms

Legality of Custom BBS RS 16x11 - instant pink sticker?

I am about to purchase a set of 16x7 BBS RS replicas to modify to 16x9.5 & 16x11 for E30 project.

The car will be identical to this (mega dish/stretched tire)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ideal size after modification

F-16x9.5 ET21

R-16x11 ET09

Size of stock rims

F-16x7 ET35

R-16x7 ET35

I will buy whatever lips/spacers etc needed - An extra 4 inches of outer rear lip gives me a warm sensation in my pants.

I believe max. legal width for wheel spacers is 27mm but it could be as low as 20mm max. Any opinions on spacers required would be appreciated - rims are to suit VW so are FWD offset - I hope to correct this with bigger outer lips, I just hope there is clearance for the inners and strut/etc..

Do you think this can be certified legally or is this instant pink sticker material? I can probably pull another inch of width by stretching the wheel arch sheetmetal out to cover rim.

Also the car is powered by 13B J-Port Rotary (please dont judge me) so is not exactly every policemans favourite car :wacko:

Although the car wont fail noise tests, it does pull major attention - will the local constabulary roast my arse if im rollin on custom deep dishes? From an engineering point of view its hardly "extreme" to run wheels of this configuration if done correctly.

It is very important this car is 100% correct with no comprimises to its look - I want to ensure it turns out like these examples to offset the stinking japanese 2-stroke lawnmower engine I have chosen to power her. No crystal taillights here. <_<

Please discuss...

Edited by Maccoretti

Technically offset will change if you increase the outer lips. Depending on what front struts you have you may not need spacers. I have fit 17x7 ET38 on with no rubbing. But, you may also have problems with the wheel spokes hitting the brake caliper. What guard work are you planning on doing? eg any flares.

get hold of Lance Bell [Arrow Wheels on Patiki Rd ,Avondale] If you are going to widen 3 piece wheels, get the bands made to your requirements. then "Westie Mod" wheel spacers won't be needed [sink your money into the wheels not spacers]

If you fit up your existing wheels to your car, it will be easy to measure how much Offset & Backspace you require

Arrow Wheels are a good quality

Regards Kerry

holy sh*t i have always wanted wheels like that!!! how much are you paying for them before you modify them?? and where from?

Those wheels are nice. But I can't imagine the cost or the difficulty in getting the tyres though.

Also check the WOF manual - you cannot have tyres/wheels that protrude out from the guards like that - you'd have to get your guards flared or settle for wheels that only go out to the edge of the guard. And you'll have to make sure your guards can't hit the wheels when going over bumps. Alll possible for a cost - hope yoyu do it as it'll look badass.

Im doing 16x9's all round and they require a serious guard roll/flare + spacers, picking them up this weekend so ill let you know how they fit and what mods i have to make.

Cheers

Chris

too easy..mtech 2...in black..like half of auckland owns...probably resprayed

If you are going to use it on the street, it will not pas a warrant of fitness because it will be deemed unsafe because the tyre size is not compatable to the rim size and is stretched out to meet the rim band.Also it will corner like a bucket of sh*t because there is no roll rate on the side walls and if put into a corner really hard it is likely to roll over,if this was a good idea why aren't race cars of today doing this?

So how do they decide if a tire is too strectched for the rim? Manufacturers ratings or if the WOF man says its too streched?

Edited by petone

If you are going to use it on the street, it will not pas a warrant of fitness because it will be deemed unsafe because the tyre size is not compatable to the rim size and is stretched out to meet the rim band.Also it will corner like a bucket of sh*t because there is no roll rate on the side walls and if put into a corner really hard it is likely to roll over,if this was a good idea why aren't race cars of today doing this?

And if the tyres are of correct sizing for the rim, handling will be maintained? - I don't like the stretched look, and just picked up some OZ 17x9.5's for my car (with correct offset etc.. no fitment issues etc)

Edited by Surge

Guest Spargo

So why do German TUV regulations (which every car in germany must go through every 24 months) state that the wheel + tyre combo must NOT extend past the guards, hence in Germany, stretched rubber is a beurecratic look, rather than a "euro" look.

These are the same cars that are regulated so often to they are fit to drive at 120mph or whatever on "ze autobahnz"

So by your arguement, a stretched 245 tyre, on a 9.5" wide rim is unsafe, when the original manufacturer specced the car with a 215 profile.

:confused:

As far as my research has uncovered, the law stipulates that the tires TREAD must not protrude past the gaurd - not the actual rim itself. This is the arrangement in Germany which would probably explain the existance of this look.

OK

- MAX COMPRIMISE -

16x9 front - 225-40-18

16x10 rear - 245-40-18

LEGAL??

Heres the link to Felgen-Garage's crazy e30 on several different sizes

I think it will come down to the WOF mans determination of whether it is safe or not, and look to the particular tyres fitment range.

And if you have an accident it will be at the inspectors discreation.

As a rule of thumb look at the tyre fitment range.

eg. Toyo T-1S lists a 245/45 & 225/40 R16 for a 7.5-9" rim, if you stick to those widths it would be deemd "safe", a little outside those would possibly be acceptable.

Have you also thought of the practicality of using a setup like you propose on NZ roads??

I'm sure it works "fine" on the smooth roads of germany...

Have you also thought of the practicality of using a setup like you propose on NZ roads??

I'm sure it works "fine" on the smooth roads of germany...

I do actually want to run this car in D1 drift events, and 13B J-Port is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from practical. The car doesn't like idling for more than 2 minutes before plugs start fouling. This car is being built for IMPACT, but it does need to be registered and WOF'd

get hold of Lance Bell [Arrow Wheels on Patiki Rd ,Avondale] If you are going to widen 3 piece wheels, get the bands made to your requirements. then "Westie Mod" wheel spacers won't be needed [sink your money into the wheels not spacers]

If you fit up your existing wheels to your car, it will be easy to measure how much Offset & Backspace you require

Arrow Wheels are a good quality

Regards Kerry

You will probably have to get Arrow Wheels to make up your outers, as you cannot buy these RS outer half sections from BBS (trust me, I HAVE tried!) Arrows are very soft rims and bend easily though. Let us all know how you get on regarding these- hard to beat the look of wide BBS RS wheels! Also, I have an M52 alloy blocked 2.8 available if you want to fit a proper engine to it!!!!......... Edited by conrod

You will probably have to get Arrow Wheels to make up your outers, as you cannot buy these RS outer half sections from BBS (trust me, I HAVE tried!) Arrows are very soft rims and bend easily though. Let us all know how you get on regarding these- hard to beat the look of wide BBS RS wheels! Also, I have an M52 alloy blocked 2.8 available if you want to fit a proper engine to it!!!!.........

How much for the engine does it have everything to get it running and can you source a manual box for it?

with all seriousness.....who is modifying your wheels?cost of tyres?spacer mods?

I currently run 16x9 and 16x10 wheels on a v8 falcon with 245/45x16 and 255/50x16 and I am now discovering that 17" tyres are 1 cheaper for relavant widthand quality 2 easier to come by and the fact that outside the normal factory fitments many of the 16" sizes are becoming extinct........however if you really want to flog that horse Arrow wheels has moved to Kelston(bout a year ago) try Lance pick his brains, then email me, as I have modified 3 or 4 sets of BBS wheels using Arrow shells to increase widths for an Audi quattro(race car) and a TVR it wasn't a cheap option about $600 per wheel(just the outer rim shell alone is $300 from Arrow wheels).......There is a couple of good Japanese web sites for second hand wheels, however shipping makes this an expensive option (get your hands on Option magazine for addresses watch out for none english sites)....or contact DS WHOLESALERS 094482366 he's got some mean wheels at reasonable prices

do my eyes deceive me or do the rims "stickout" from the tyres by 10-12 mm?

Edited by kiwi535

do my eyes deceive me or do the rims "stickout" from the tyres by 10-12 mm?

n00b probably thought hed max his cash on the rims but save on the tyres.... good one