E30stz

Quick Questions

what do you use to clean the inside of a diff? Its an LSD and been sitting around for a while, want to give it a good clean before new oil. TIA

2003 E39 525i

car is running for 100000KM now, BMW says the transmission fluid is life time, but i did spoke to some guys work in JC BMW, they said if they own the car, they will change transmission fluid at 100K.

So, is a good idea to change transmission fluid or not?

are they expensive?

2003 E39 525i

car is running for 100000KM now, BMW says the transmission fluid is life time, but i did spoke to some guys work in JC BMW, they said if they own the car, they will change transmission fluid at 100K.

So, is a good idea to change transmission fluid or not?

are they expensive?

Yes...we advise customers to change fluid, filter and pan gasket as well at 100,000km

Anyone know much about the E34's trailer lights module?

mine's reporting TRAILER LIGHTS all the time just today.... and the trailer parking lights appear not to work. FUUU. Fuses seem okay on the module... Might swap them anyway.

Do these units often go bad? dry joints? ect?

NVM, Fixed it.... after checking the Trailer Module, LKM and CCM and all appear to be visually fine...

I decided to check over the fuses... Oh hey look at that one... What's Fuse 22? "intense wash system".... oh wait.. Trailer. *facepalm*

However, Someone should send me a broken LKM/CCM so I can have a go at fixing one.

Edited by antil33t

Needing a brand new shift rod joint for E30 getrag 240 part number 25-11-7-501-309 that's doesn't cost OEM$80NZ I see them on pelican for $15 ? Ideas..

Where can you find the m20 block numbers to identify what the lower end is? I I can't see much trying to move stuff out of the way but allI can ssee is a 84 stamped between the engine mount arm and where the dizzy would be on a jetronic

Where can you find the m20 block numbers to identify what the lower end is? I I can't see much trying to move stuff out of the way but allI can ssee is a 84 stamped between the engine mount arm and where the dizzy would be on a jetronic

here

just behind the alt bracket and in front of the left side engine mount.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/gallery/files/7/...0006_883666.JPG

post-279-1354405437.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Ahhh I see, Cheers Brent. Mine's covered in surface rust over that bit so can't make it out lol.

Needing a brand new shift rod joint for E30 getrag 240 part number 25-11-7-501-309 that's doesn't cost OEM$80NZ I see them on pelican for $15 ? Ideas..

EuroItalian or Milland.

Or american friend to ship it to you.

I recently put in a medium case LSD into my e30, and when i slow down from ~20km/h to a stop or near stop for speed bumps, you can hear a distinctive whine that goes "rrrrrRRRRRr", and in that exact pattern :D. Doesn't whine, grind or make other funny noises when cruising or cornering. Using 75w-90 Redline fully synthetic with LSD additive already added. Matter of oil or more sinister? TIA

318ti M42 has trouble starting when warm - will start then stall immediately unless you keep revs up. From cold it starts roughly and revs surge for a while until settling into a steady idle. I'm assuming this is a failed camshaft position sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere?

Edited by _Mark_

318ti M42 has trouble starting when warm - will start then stall immediately unless you keep revs up. From cold it starts roughly and revs surge for a while until settling into a steady idle. I'm assuming this is a failed camshaft position sensor or a vacuum leak somewhere?

check the pcv valve comon failing on these.(makes a big vac leak)

lift the oil cap up and if its sucking hard through the oil cap hole , theres your problem.

also check your intake hose and other smaller vac hoses etc

E30 needs some gas to get started when cold. Doesn't need any when hot and needs a little when warm. When dead cold it will just sit cranking if I don't give it gas.

Cold Start Valve?

My dashboard has got the tiniest crack on it. It's in the tray part, facing the windscreen.

I apply protectant and use sun shade etc, but is there anything I ( or someone ) can apply to the crack to stop it splitting further?

Protectant actually makes it worse. Once it starts to crack though it wont stop. A dash mat would be your best option though

Hi guys. I believe one of the CV's in my 94 325i has given up the ghost. Does anyone know if the CV joint out of a 92 318i will fit?

Make: BMW

Model: 325i Manual

Year: 1989

Chassis: E30

Just some odd questions for you guys.

What is this thing for? its labelled CARB for one nipple and TO TANK for the other, but why would an E30 have this? it appears to be a factory fitted item, but its just taking up space?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This almost clear tube was attached to it, with a torn vacuum hose attached, it seems to go under the brake booster somewhere, once again i'm not sure what this is, or what I should do with it, I could reach down and feel where it went, but can't see anything.

Posted Image

This connector isn't attached to anything, another connector attached to the same loom goes to the TPS while another goes to the IAV.

Posted Image

In what way does it make it worse?

There's no glue type product that can help?

There are vinyl repair kits available at Supercheap, might stop it cracking but I doubt it'll look pretty. (Claims to make it look new... yeah right.)

As for protectant making it worse, thats a bit of neither here nor there. There is no evidence for or against, as people have had dashes crack at similar ages and mileages with or without protectant. It certainly makes it look better though!

What is this thing for? its labelled CARB for one nipple and TO TANK for the other, but why would an E30 have this? it appears to be a factory fitted item, but its just taking up space?

Pretty sure that's a carbon filter for preventing vented hydrocarbon gas from the fuel system from polluting the atmosphere.

The clear tube is for the headlight adjusters, it won't work, or ever work without immense effort. - just rip it out.

That's not usually where the carbon canister is though.

My E30 has a little valve with a plug that must send things to the carbon canister(valve comes out of the bottom of the Throttle Body), which is in-front of the below of the brake booster.

Hi guys. I believe one of the CV's in my 94 325i has given up the ghost. Does anyone know if the CV joint out of a 92 318i will fit?

no needs to be from a 323i 325i 328i etc

i have some axles if needed

thanks brent