E30stz

Quick Questions

To answer one of my own questions, I managed to disassemble the lifters by putting one end in the vice and pulling the other end with pliers.

I put a rag on each end to avoid any scratching.

I still would like to know if I should keep them in order though, as it will make things much easier and faster if I don't have to.

What repair instructions are you using ? TIS does not give instructions for lifter disassembly only replacement. Don't mix or swap any valve gear you are removing. Use only reputable repair data or BMW TIS and follow instructions very carefully to prevent a disaster.

• Like 1

What repair instructions are you using ? TIS does not give instructions for lifter disassembly only replacement. Don't mix or swap any valve gear you are removing. Use only reputable repair data or BMW TIS and follow instructions very carefully to prevent a disaster.

I say he using the zero repair manual
  • Like 1

I say he using the zero repair manual

He'll need a big rubbish bin then

• Like 1

Thanks Glenn.

I have kept all the parts in order.

The head came back from the engine shop today with a clean bill of health. I had it checked and then decked.

I think I will start a new thread on my engine rebuild so I dont hijack this one.

Did they do any valve work, alter Valve stem heights or mix the valves up ?

Once again... what repair instructions are you working with ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Did they do any valve work, alter Valve stem heights or mix the valves up ?

Once again... what repair instructions are you working with ?

I went to Mark Wade at Wade Automotive in Penrose - he has been building engines for the race industry for decades.

A bit grumpy, but very knowledgeable and experienced.

No valve work.

He checked the valve guides and said they weren't perfect, but not bad enough to need replacing.

He checked the valves and seats too, and said they needed a valve grind but I was going to do that anyway.

Regarding hydraulic lifters, basically all you are doing is disassembling, thoroughly cleaning them out, reassembling, and pre-priming them.

Carbon and sludge gets in them and stops them working properly.

I did a lot of reading, and this video was very helpful;

• Like 1

^ I reckon it's come loose at some stage and rubbed against the belt or pulley.

Yeah I did think that. It probably is the most logical.

Although the expansion tank had been hacked up to fit the radiator hose, so who knows.

I'm in need of a torque wrench.

It will be used mainly for wrenching on motorcycles but it would be good if it was sized appropriately for cars as well.

Any suggestions? I'm not looking for the best quality and it wont get used a whole lot... I just want something that wont fall to bits in 5 years time.

cheers

I'm in need of a torque wrench.

It will be used mainly for wrenching on motorcycles but it would be good if it was sized appropriately for cars as well.

Any suggestions? I'm not looking for the best quality and it wont get used a whole lot... I just want something that wont fall to bits in 5 years time.

cheers

I have an older SnapOn one that I've not used - if it is of interest I have no doubt we could come to some arrangement.

So I topped up my oil this morning and put some stop leak in it (i know, bad idea!). Drove home and after the first 5 mins or so it started to lack power, and run a little rough. Now it's blowing out plumes of white smoke when it gets to temperature, and the idle is rough as...

Am I looking at a blown headgasket? It didn't overheat or anything, just gradually began running rough etc.

E36 318i with the M43B18

NB have done an oil change as I figured get that stop leak out, and it was mostly just running rough prior to that, now is billowing smoke.

where was the oil getting out? perhaps oil is getting in the cylinders and being burned, stop leak just has a more noticeable colour??

It was/is leaking straight into the gearbox/torque converter. Smoke seems to be more water than oil, as it doesn't leave residue on my hand if i hold it over the exhaust, and looks pretty white. Never noticed much smoke before except under hard acceleration.

e34 540i

Noticed the temp has been on the low side for a few weeks. A little out of the "blue" when the heater fans are on full blast. When I switch the heater off it'll climb back to mid-table, but not quite middle where it's practically where it's always run since I've owned it.

I suspect thermostat. Would anyone else?

What sort of shop/place would one go to to get control arm bushings pressed into the lollipop? Cheers :~)

What sort of shop/place would one go to to get control arm bushings pressed into the lollipop? Cheers :~)

Just buy a vice ;)

I've trawled the interweb long enough on this without results so did e30's change the steering wheel spline between pre and post facelitft from course to fine? Have a shitty adpater that won't fit so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Momo adapter from Turner Motorsport.

I've trawled the interweb long enough on this without results so did e30's change the steering wheel spline between pre and post facelitft from course to fine? Have a shitty adpater that won't fit so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Momo adapter from Turner Motorsport.

Unless it's a super special wheel get a correct fitting wheel? Or are you able to change the spline on the column (no idea if you can)

No it's the same throughout, cant change it without messing with the entire column. Probably the wrong adapter, not e30.

You can change the steering shaft without removing or changing the column. I fitted a m3 /LHD steering shaft as it had a different coupler / universal spline. It was also a fly sh*t longer

E30 power steering groans/creaks when almost at full lock and only when turning wheel left. Only does it at low speeds. Jacked the car up today and doesn't make the noise at all when wheels are off the ground. Noticed a slow drip of ATF from the drivers side of the steering rack. Does this mean a rack seal has gone?

An engineer shop would be cheaper than a mechanic, my guy has done it a few times for beer. Make sure they line the markings up correctly so they are orientated correctly

Can't find this easily using google-fu.

Does anyone know which battery i'll require for an E36 2-button key fob? Similar to the below except obviously OEM key.
Currently at work and can't find a Philips small enough to pull it open, want to grab a battery on the way home.

ews2-2-button-remote.jpg