E30stz

Quick Questions

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

definitely.  if there's water damage on the bores, your rings will also be damaged.  Hell, if you've got it apart, rings and bearings, surely?  And ensure the bottom end (mains, crankshaft end float), are all within spec.  False economy to put it back together with anything less than it needs, IMHO.

+1 to this.

even if your doing all the work yourself, price your labor, the time/effort/expense of doing a rebuild at this point is about the same as taking it out in 6 months if one of the above things fails (and then you'll have to spend the money anyway or roll the dice on another engine), it may have been running mint N/A, but as soon as you strap a hair drier to it what was an acceptable amount of bearing play for an N/A may cause some dramas.  it will give you peace of mind and add resale value if you ever move it on.  I once chose not to do this, and the excitement of getting it on the road 3 days earlier and $500 cheaper dissolved in short order...

At the very least visually inspect and check all the tolerances anyway, maybe they are within spec... 

• Like 2

well said, Charlie.  Toby, false economy saving $$ on your short block, esp given your intended application.

I really liked Charlie's words about having to take it out again in 6 months (or less)...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I am far from experienced in this field but trying to learn as much as I can so the feedback is very helpful

I removed the pistons today. Never done such a thing so it was really interesting to see everything in the block and get an understanding for what they do and where they are.

I will take the block to be re honed and talk to the guy at the shop about bearings. I'll probably get him to do it for me as I don't really know how to measure the clearances and decide if I need oversized bearings etc...

I need to start a project thread stat! Thanks again

Edited by Kepes

Do the rear seats in an E46 coupe fold down for through-loading from the boot, or even just for more load space?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Do the rear seats in an E46 coupe fold down for through-loading from the boot, or even just for more load space?

Can't speak for the coupe.
But it appears to be an option on the Sedans. Mate had a 318i that didn't have fold down rear seats. My 328i does fold down. (Both PFL)

Would imagine the same would go for the coupe?

• Like 1

On Monday, September 05, 2016 at 4:30 PM, Kepes said:

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I am far from experienced in this field but trying to learn as much as I can so the feedback is very helpful

I removed the pistons today. Never done such a thing so it was really interesting to see everything in the block and get an understanding for what they do and where they are.

I will take the block to be re honed and talk to the guy at the shop about bearings. I'll probably get him to do it for me as I don't really know how to measure the clearances and decide if I need oversized bearings etc...

I need to start a project thread stat! Thanks again

If you are getting the block honed you may end up having to go oversize pistons, which will mean new rings anyway, but It Is always a good Idea to replace wear Items whenever a motor Is apart.

4 hours ago, gjm said:

1 hour ago, nick496 said:

Can't speak for the coupe.
But it appears to be an option on the Sedans. Mate had a 318i that didn't have fold down rear seats. My 328i does fold down. (Both PFL)

Would imagine the same would go for the coupe?

Sounds like it's an option and something to look and check for, rather than expect.

Thanks. :)

Do I need to block off the trans cooler holes (or do anything else with them) if I'm using a separate cooler for the transmission?

NewRadiatorTrans.jpg

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Do I need to blockn off the trans cooler holes (or do anything else with them) if I'm using a separate cooler for the transmission?

NewRadiatorTrans.jpg

I would cap them just to stop crap getting In there In case you need to use It one day.

• Like 1

Need a new remote key for the E36, only have the spare without remote buttons, seen prices for $300 for ' keys programmed' but in theory should be able to buy one for a 10th of that and use the guide to program it?  I'm not sure what frequency it will be though, south african assembled, so 415mhz? Any leads to good places to source?

3 hours ago, EURO V8 said:

Need a new remote key for the E36, only have the spare without remote buttons, seen prices for $300 for ' keys programmed' but in theory should be able to buy one for a 10th of that and use the guide to program it?  I'm not sure what frequency it will be though, south african assembled, so 415mhz? Any leads to good places to source?

That might open the doors but I don't think it will work with the EWS immobiliser? Could be wrong but pretty sure the SA models also used EWS with a transponder in the key - that's the bit you'll need to code and it requires a special rig.

For my E36 318, M44B19, the Fuel door says use 91 only, i'm a believer in the powers of 98, or at least 96 as when I drive, i tend to push things, should I listen to the fuel flap sticker? or follow my heart?

2 minutes ago, EURO V8 said:

For my E36 318, M44B19, the Fuel door says use 91 only, i'm a believer in the powers of 98, or at least 96 as when I drive, i tend to push things, should I listen to the fuel flap sticker? or follow my heart?

We'll run 95 in Miss M's 318i M43 whenever possible. It doesn't seem to like 98 much, and feels happier on 95 than on 91. (It actually seems happier on 91 than 98 - just a seat of the pants assessment.)
I can't think of a situation where 95 will hurt your car, and can think of many where it might help. That said, I have read of people 'optimising DME' for running on 95. If your car is genuinely designed to run on 91 (and doesn't have adaptive EMS), there shouldn't be any benefit to running 95 or 98.

98 will be a waste but 95 is leagues better than 91.

• Like 1

Are these real or reps? I've never seen them with the hub pretty much flush to the rim

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

So I'm half way through replacing the Gearbox in the E36, been easy so far as when the last mechanic did it they were kind enough to leave the two hardest to reach bolts out... yeah... anyway.

the clutch looks pretty new to me, I'm thinking rather than open up a can of worms I might be better just to leave it installed, because I doubt the flywheel was machined, unless they replaced the flywheel, it does seem in surprisingly good nick for a car this old.

can I get a second opinion?

IMG_1093.JPGIMG_1094.JPGIMG_1095.JPGIMG_1212.JPG

Have you taken the pressure plate off and actually inspected the disk and flywheel? Thats really about the only way to check anything.

No, I guess that's the morning job, I have a new kit for it, but I really want to be able to take it out this weekend so I don't want to have to machine the flywheel haha.

Change it would be my vote.

And change the rear main seal while you are in there.

Edited by zero

1 hour ago, zero said:

Change it would be my vote.

And change the rear main seal while you are in there.

Which rear seal? Looking at it the flywheel is new (maybe during last clutch change) but the clutch was maybe half worn.

no leaks are perceptible in the lower areas behind the engine

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Box and clutch swapped, with the windows down I noticed new box has a high pitched wine like a dog box... it had the ATF recommended sticker so I used Penrite full synthetic, 1.1L.  Shifting feels smooth though, probably helps that i replaced every bush and bearing in the shift linkage.

Adjustable suspension requires a cert...

Is this just for height adjustable suspension, or does it also include suspension where the height cannot be adjusted, but the rebound (for example) can?

13 minutes ago, gjm said:

Adjustable suspension requires a cert...

Is this just for height adjustable suspension, or does it also include suspension where the height cannot be adjusted, but the rebound (for example) can?

From http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

Not requiring cert:

snip.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, huff3r said:

Ta.
So long as they retain stock mounting points, and cannot be used to alter ride height: no cert required.

Excellent.

• Like 1