E30stz

Quick Questions

1 hour ago, zero said:

...my e46 is getting a m62b44...

The hero we all want, and need. :wub:

• Like 2

Is there a definitive way to tell, from a VIN, which auto gearbox would have been fitted to an E36 or E46? Looking to be able to tell if it would have been a Jatco or a ZF.

23 minutes ago, gjm said:

Is there a definitive way to tell, from a VIN, which auto gearbox would have been fitted to an E36 or E46? Looking to be able to tell if it would have been a Jatco or a ZF.

yes , whats the car , if its a e36 will be zf  for most world parts or jatco if from japan

if its a e46 will be GM or ZF .

whats the vin ?

1 minute ago, BM WORLD said:

yes , whats the car , if its a e36 will be zf  for most world parts or jatco if from japan

if its a e46 will be GM or ZF .

whats the vin ?

JA91136

ex-Japan, so I expect it's a Jatco 'box. Possibly a 300?
The reason for asking is that I've heard not-so-good things about the Jatco boxes. I'm sure it doesn't invariably apply bit something to make me cautious.

2 minutes ago, gjm said:

JA91136

ex-Japan, so I expect it's a Jatco 'box. Possibly a 300?
The reason for asking is that I've heard not-so-good things about the Jatco boxes. I'm sure it doesn't invariably apply bit something to make me cautious.

yes will be jatco ,

they seam to be jerky , some better than others , it can be fixed ,

they do seam to last well enough , cheap to buy ,

zf are so much smoother though and taller gearing , get better economy .

can convert to a manual easy enough , have a kit if you need , or a replacement trans

VIN WBABF42080JA91136
Type code BF42
Type 325I (EUR)
E series E36 (2)
Series 3
Type COUPE
Steering RL
Doors 2
Engine M50
Displacement 2.50
Power 141
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour MONTREALBLAU METALLIC (297)
Upholstery LEDER CASUAL/HELLGRAU (P7TH)
Prod.date 1994-08-30

Vehicle options
S240 Leather steering wheel
S243 Airbag for front passenger
S423 Floor mats, velours
S428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
S481 Sports seat
S494 Seat heating driver/passenger
S530 Air conditioning
S556 Outdoor temperature indicator
S686 Antenna-Diversity
S687 Radio preparation
S704 M Sports suspension

L807

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E36-Coupe/Europe/325i-M50/R-A/aug1994/browse/automatic_transmission/automatic_transmission_a5s300j   L807 code mean jap spec

NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN(means it will have the jatco)

S818 Battery master switch
S900 Electronic immobilizer
S925 Dummy-SALAPA
  • Like 1

This one would need to stay auto. :)
Presumably fluid and a filter would help - I suspect that's typically overlooked. After that I only have theoretical experience with autoboxes.

No idea if it is an issue with this car or not, yet.

2 minutes ago, gjm said:

This one would need to stay auto. :)
Presumably fluid and a filter would help - I suspect that's typically overlooked. After that I only have theoretical experience with autoboxes.

No idea if it is an issue with this car or not, yet.

yes can help , just drive it and see how good or bad it is ,

worse when cold normally

can be converted to a ZF auto , but will require , engine/trans loom and matching trans control unit , zf auto driveshaft etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BM WORLD said:

yes can help , just drive it and see how good or bad it is ,

worse when cold normally

can be converted to a ZF auto , but will require , engine/trans loom and matching trans control unit , zf auto driveshaft etc

Thanks Brent.

E36 front lower control arm rear bushes - the ones in the 'lollipops'.

Does the base model (318i, like ours) have an arrow on the casting to show alignment position for the bushes, in the same way the M3 does? I think it does - I think the lollipop is a common part and it is only the bush which is different.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:14 PM, gjm said:

E36 front lower control arm rear bushes - the ones in the 'lollipops'.

Does the base model (318i, like ours) have an arrow on the casting to show alignment position for the bushes, in the same way the M3 does? I think it does - I think the lollipop is a common part and it is only the bush which is different.

I know the 328i ones also have the alignment arrow but I'm not sure if that helps you?

• Like 1

All of the lollipop type bushes have alignment marks. If they don't, buy a better brand. Solids are better, however more work is involved fitting them and locking them into position. I've done heaps over the years. Been a while though  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

I know the 328i ones also have the alignment arrow but I'm not sure if that helps you?

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

All of the lollipop type bushes have alignment marks. If they don't, buy a better brand. Solids are better, however more work is involved fitting them and locking them into position. I've done heaps over the years. Been a while though  

The bushes have the alignment marks - it was the housings I was wondering about. I think they all have marks too, regardless of what car they are intended for.

I've not pressed and refit bushes for years, either!

Can anyone recommend me an Auckland Toyota mechanic to do a swag of work on an AE101 BZ Touring 6 speed? (Glenn you interested in pulling apart an old turd?) Someone with 4AGE BT experience would be awesome, she has a gremlin or two to chase. 

Needs clutch, Crank seal behind clutch (im assuming), rocker gasket is leaking around dizzy, vacuum leak solved (high idle and it isnt the ICV or any external load command AFAIK),  VVT isnt engaging (cam gear is noisey, it could be that or the solenoid/ecu), and I think the o2 sensor is toast (rich as hell at mid rpm WOT, could be the missing cam advance though). If its the cam gear thats toast will be the cambelt as well. CEL is clean, but its OBD1 so not particularly clever.

Bought it cheap as a 2nd car to throw some k's at and abuse (and put the dog in the back!), its straight and tidy but needs TLC before having another 100k thrown at the odo. No rush on the work as it is second car, but need to keep the costs down or its point of cheap reliable car is lost haha. 

E30 front lighting.

Is having a twin light (two lenses on each side) set up a requirement for a WoF, or is a single light on each side, performing main and dipped duties, also appropriate?

Are sidelights a requirement? (Are they what NZTA refer to as 'forward facing position lamps'?)

Does anyone have a good video/picture guide on removing the LCM from a RHD car? I see lots of American videos, but they don't have the tight squeeze we do having it in the driver's footwell. Thanks!

3 hours ago, allan said:

What make and model please

for a e39 http://www.lcm-repairs.co.uk/page1.html

Thanks for that. I had found that link, but the bit I got stuck on was actually removing the silly thing once I found it. It's in a really cramped spot! I also couldn't figure out how to disconnect two of the connectors (our of three) but I managed to remove it enough to take a picture of the unit to look for its replacement.

Same on the connectors it is a pain with so many different types slide this and pull, press that, lift the flap press and pull,then twist side ways etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Does anyone have a good video/picture guide on removing the LCM from a RHD car? I see lots of American videos, but they don't have the tight squeeze we do having it in the driver's footwell. Thanks!

Be careful Gabe...the LCM is not plug & play on a E39

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

Be careful Gabe...the LCM is not plug & play on a E39

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the heads up. I think I have done my research, in that I know how to code my VIN into the new LCM. As I understand it, I should be able to get a used one, plug it in and code my VIn to it and it'll sync mileage from the IKE. Wish me luck. :)

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

...and it'll sync mileage...

The highest mileage of the two right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

The highest mileage of the two right?

What?! My car has barely been driven! It's been in a garage since 2001, regular maintenance, only driven on weekends... it has barely 20k kilometers!

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

What?! My car has barely been driven! It's been in a garage since 2001, regular maintenance, only driven on weekends... it has barely 20k kilometers!

I get you (lol) but I was really just confirming that you knew the highest mileage in the two modules will be used, you don't get to choose.

• Like 1

A tamper condition can be instigated if this isn't done properly

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I get you (lol) but I was really just confirming that you knew the highest mileage in the two modules will be used, you don't get to choose.

The mileage in the lcm can be coded before the VIN is matched. Prior to matching the VIN, no sync will occur and the tamper light will go on.