E30stz

Quick Questions

7 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

A tamper condition can be instigated if this isn't done properly

From the research, two conditions get you the tamper light. One: a VIN mismatch. Two: a large-ish mileage discrepancy. 

Even the dealers are known to have gotten this wrong leading to having to replace the instrument cluster and the LCM... good luck... fingers crossed

• Like 1

Just now, *Glenn* said:

Even the dealers are known to have gotten this wrong leading to having to replace the instrument cluster and the LCM... good luck... fingers crossed

Hah, I can believe that. :) Thank you for the well wishes. I'll report in on how I go. :)

58 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

The mileage in the lcm can be coded before the VIN is matched. Prior to matching the VIN, no sync will occur and the tamper light will go on. 

Interesting. I actually thought you could only code the mileage on new/blank modules. Seems to defeat the entire system if mileage in used modules can be re-coded!

Hope it all works out as planned. 

10 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Interesting. I actually thought you could only code the mileage on new/blank modules. Seems to defeat the entire system if mileage in used modules can be re-coded!

I'll post how it goes. It doesn't defeat too much. There are a lot of places where mileage info is recorded. Many modules, plus keys. To do a real mileage trick you'd have to go through a lot of effort and in nz  your mileage is recorded at every wof, plus garage visits record it too. You'd get caught out easily I think. 

On 23/08/2017 at 6:17 PM, M3AN said:

The LCM can be changed to whatever milage, but not the cluster... but it WILL change UP, as you drive and it updates, like you said above. Whichever milage is the highest, is what your car will change to at the next update time (every 100kms??).

Since you probably have BMW Scanner 1.4, you can change the VIN and milage to suit the car. I installed an LCM4 from an E53 X5 into our E39, so I could code out the cold checks for the LED angel eye bulbs..... and now I'm running halogens anyway :lol:

The VIN in the LCM and the cluster must match to avoid a tamper light. If you get a light, you can match them, and it'll go away. Dealers aren't supposed to be able to code used modules... so if they get it wrong, it stays wrong :-)

Butyl Cord... comes in a roll. The dealer might sell it by the meter. Check with a panel beater. Older Audi's use it too

• Like 1

Anyone got an NZ source for angel eyes bulbs? (e87) Ive tried all the usual suspects but aint found anything -

Ba9s socket, 12V 10W Philips 12082 (original) or Osram 6411

BMW apparently only list the whole bulb housing as a replacement :D

Edited by Jacko

5 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Anyone got an NZ source for angel eyes bulbs? (e87) Ive tried all the usual suspects but aint found anything -

Ba9s socket, 12V 10W Philips 12082 (original) or Osram 6411

BMW apparently only list the whole bulb housing as a replacement :D

I still haven't shipped my second shipment from the US. I shop for bulbs here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/ If they have what you want and it's cheap, you can tag along my shipment for minimal additional shipping cost.

Has anyone replaced the aero piece in front of the rear wheels on an E87 Msport before? RealOEM is confusing me and ive bought the front ones instead of the back. I think it might be 13, but only LH is listed. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UF92-EUR-11-2005-E87-BMW-130i&diagId=51_5532

trim.png

Anyone had their average fuel consumption widget not work? it just reports 0.1l/100km. Reset the trip odo, have done a few hundred k's, still 0.1. Everything else works, no error messages... It know how much its using as the instantaneous widget works, and it obviously knows how many k's its done, but wont populate this doofa?

Replacing control arms. Do I need to order hardware to replace all bolts/washers/nuts?

Looking at this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DT63-USA---E39-BMW-530i&diagId=31_0617

I've got 4 and 11 in the cart.

Do I need 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, and 20? 

4 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Do I need 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, and 20? 

For the sake of $10? Yes.

Not strictly necessary but nice to be able to say "including every nut, bolt and washer". They'll also be cleaner and go on easier.

Some would say essential but I don't think it's that absolute.

Edited by M3AN

Just now, M3AN said:

For the sake of $10? Yes.

Not strictly necessary but nice to be able to say "including every nut, bolt and washer". They'll also be cleaner and go on easier.

To be fair, it's a bit more than $10. ;) Close to $100USD total. I'm trying to figure out what bits and bobs the actual control arms come with. Or if they come naked.

29 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

To be fair, it's a bit more than $10. ;) Close to $100USD total. I'm trying to figure out what bits and bobs the actual control arms come with. Or if they come naked.

My control arms from schmiedmann came with the necessary nuts etc.

Just now, zero said:

My control arms from schmiedmann came with the necessary nuts etc.

They're an interesting company. They often write "Authentic" on parts, when they mean that the part is authentically a part, not that it is authentic BMW. 

What brand were the arms you got?

10 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

They're an interesting company. They often write "Authentic" on parts, when they mean that the part is authentically a part, not that it is authentic BMW. 

What brand were the arms you got?

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/1935105-new?product=31122341297

I've found schmiedmann really good. On most parts they are cheaper than fcp and the shipping is cheaper too.

I always compare though, because there have been a few things I've found cheaper at fcp.

On 31/10/2017 at 1:18 AM, zero said:

I've found schmiedmann really good. On most parts they are cheaper than fcp and the shipping is cheaper too.

I always compare though, because there have been a few things I've found cheaper at fcp.

Pretty much +1 to that.

Are all e46 sedan wing mirrors the same (excluding m3 of course)?

I dont mean the glass itself, but the shape of the housing, as I have a broken mirror housing I want to replace.

7 minutes ago, zero said:

Are all e46 sedan wing mirrors the same (excluding m3 of course)?

I dont mean the glass itself, but the shape of the housing, as I have a broken mirror housing I want to replace.

at least two different versions for the wiring, according to the panel beater who replaced mine when they were stolen.  uncertain if there's a diff between pre facelift and LCI versions.

• Like 1

Out of interest had a look in parts cat at a 328 99 sedan and a 325 04 sedan and they have the same part numbers for the plastic cover plate 51168238375 so if a standard sedan would say yes they are the same. They do have a few difference if fitted with heated glass, plan or tinted glass, fold in type and memory seats  etc in the wiring set up

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

at least two different versions for the wiring, according to the panel beater who replaced mine when they were stolen.  uncertain if there's a diff between pre facelift and LCI versions.

Yea, wiring is not a problem - its the cosmetics of the housing I'm worried about.

I don't want two different styled mirrors on the same car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, allan said:

Out of interest had a look in parts cat at a 328 99 sedan and a 325 04 sedan and they have the same part numbers for the plastic cover plate 51168238375 so if a standard sedan would say yes they are the same. They do have a few difference if fitted with heated glass, plan or tinted glass, fold in type and memory seats  etc in the wiring set up

Thanks, yea I had a check on realoem too.

I wonder if the msport mirrors are the same as standard.

Edited to add that it appears that the coupe mirrors are different to sedan/wagon.

Edited by zero

The Cabrio has a different part number also. The shape of the mounting triangle is different from a sedan compact coupe etc i believe. The m3 seems to have the more rounded one like after market m sport one's I've seen. Were as the standard one is rectangular shaped and buckle looking.

• Like 1