E30stz

Quick Questions

12 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

When do you think NZ companies will wake up 

This won’t happen until someone becomes a FCP affiliate here. In saying that, I don’t know how well the notion of lifetime replacements will work here from an economic perspective. Maybe ECS Tuning affiliate would be the ticket. 

• Like 1

Cant compete with NZs small market, shipping costs, and the tax/duty smashed onto everything, its going to get worse for the consumer when sub $400 start getting duty stuck one em as well (which will be good for the local distributors...)

Question - Anyone running a Valeo SMF conversion kit? Thoughts?

When purchasing a timing chain with master link is does that come with the link and cir-clips to connect the chain?

It might seem like a weird question but I can't actually find pictures or confirm if all is included without needing a special tool to press the chain etc.

22 hours ago, deviant said:

When purchasing a timing chain with master link is does that come with the link and cir-clips to connect the chain?

It might seem like a weird question but I can't actually find pictures or confirm if all is included without needing a special tool to press the chain etc.

All the kits I use have them 

On 15/01/2018 at 9:30 AM, Jacko said:

Question - Anyone running a Valeo SMF conversion kit? Thoughts?

Have run one on an m52 and I rate them. 

• Like 1

Good to hear, the fedex man has mine at the moment. 

Does anyone know if there's any difference between 11231404819 & 11231317175 - both vibration dampers for E36 M3. One's S50B32, the othe S50B30. Can't find the B30 damper for sale other than through BMW Germany, but I can source the B32 one from a few places at a muuuch cheaper price.

17 hours ago, Toast said:

Does anyone know if there's any difference between 11231404819 & 11231317175 - both vibration dampers for E36 M3. One's S50B32, the othe S50B30. Can't find the B30 damper for sale other than through BMW Germany, but I can source the B32 one from a few places at a muuuch cheaper price.

Almost assured to be a difference, they're 'harmonic dampers' and are tuned to a specific crankshaft vibration frequency range. The change from 3.0 to 3.2 would almost certainly alter the range.

What do they cost? There are heaps of aftermarket ones... 

http://precisionintl.com/Engine.aspx?ID=210&EID=41302&Category=54

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---s50b30-euro-crankshaft-harmonic-damper-kit-by-ati-p2814.aspx

http://www.atiracing.com/links/pr/BMW-damper/index.htm

https://rossperformanceparts.com/product/bmw-s50-b30-euro-metal-jacket-harmonic-damper/

Edited by M3AN

On 25/02/2018 at 8:29 PM, M3AN said:

Almost assured to be a difference, they're 'harmonic dampers' and are tuned to a specific crankshaft vibration frequency range. The change from 3.0 to 3.2 would almost certainly alter the range.

What do they cost? There are heaps of aftermarket ones... 

http://precisionintl.com/Engine.aspx?ID=210&EID=41302&Category=54

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---s50b30-euro-crankshaft-harmonic-damper-kit-by-ati-p2814.aspx

http://www.atiracing.com/links/pr/BMW-damper/index.htm

https://rossperformanceparts.com/product/bmw-s50-b30-euro-metal-jacket-harmonic-damper/

Through BMW NZ new the 3.0 part is $4k NZD incl, 6 week lead time from Germany. Through other NZ retailers Ex Germany around $2.5k NZD incl. Vac won't answer any emails or offer any information on their product, for a part that's roughly $1700 landed you'd think they'd have a customer rep? ATI won't sell direct, also won't reply to emails about the VAC part, happy to talk about other engine balancers but not the VAC balancer?? Precision has that part listed but after contacting the supplier - Power Bond it's only for the M50+ range / US M3 and the likes. I've gone with Ross. They've replied to my emails and to any queries I had and were by far the cheapest - $1000 landed. Thanks for the links!

• Like 1

4k? lolwtf?!?! Even 2.5k is criminal.

1k landed sounds expensive but relative to the others it's a right bargain. And you can be assured that the Ross one will be far better than a cast original. 360* timing marks will probably also come in handy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Toast said:

Through BMW NZ new the 3.0 part is $4k NZD incl, 6 week lead time from Germany. Through other NZ retailers Ex Germany around $2.5k NZD incl. Vac won't answer any emails or offer any information on their product, for a part that's roughly $1700 landed you'd think they'd have a customer rep? ATI won't sell direct, also won't reply to emails about the VAC part, happy to talk about other engine balancers but not the VAC balancer?? Precision has that part listed but after contacting the supplier - Power Bond it's only for the M50+ range / US M3 and the likes. I've gone with Ross. They've replied to my emails and to any queries I had and were by far the cheapest - $1000 landed. Thanks for the links!

Call Paul at MillAnd. He may not have stock, but he'll be much, much cheaper (and probably faster) than it sounds BMW would be.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:03 PM, Toast said:

Looking at the US sites, $1k NZD landed including GST is better than what you could get anywhere else online.

Do tell us @Toast, how have you come to ending up actually needing one of these?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Toast said:

@M3AN the old one is buggered so it needs replacing :P

It must take a lot of buggery to write off a lump of steel, well done, didn't know you lent that way. :ph34r:

@M3AN the poor thing's all bent out of shape now and the balancers not much better either! ;)

• Like 1

What's the best place to buy fuel hose? Ripco? Need a whole 50mm.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

me

• Like 1

Just now, BM WORLD said:

me

If I'd got it the other day, yes! Ripco is 2.5km, thanks to the Akld motorway, it took me 50 min to get back from yours.

44 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

If I'd got it the other day, yes! Ripco is 2.5km, thanks to the Akld motorway, it took me 50 min to get back from yours.

its called a $6 courier bag , easy az

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Definitely not ripco. They charge something like $40 a metre, and they only sell it by the metre. 

Supercheap has it for $12 a metre, mind you they too only sell it by the metre. Might be worth trying somewhere like BNT if supercheap is too far away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kepes said:

Definitely not ripco. They charge something like $40 a metre, and they only sell it by the metre. 

Supercheap has it for $12 a metre, mind you they too only sell it by the metre. Might be worth trying somewhere like BNT if supercheap is too far away.

Turns out Para Rubber is the answer. SuperC didn''t have the right size. $10.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Turns out Para Rubber is the answer. SuperC didn''t have the right size. $10.

Para Rubber sell fuel grade hose? Interesting.

My answer would have been: any hydraulics shop.

40 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Para Rubber sell fuel grade hose? Interesting.

My answer would have been: any hydraulics shop.

Yip. Recommended by Super Cheap. Direct match at Wairau, I got the last of it.

• Like 1

Anyone know of any tyre places open tomorrow morning (Sunday) between Te Kauwhata and Albany? I appear to have a leaking valve on the near side rear wheel. :(