E30stz

Quick Questions

Cant decide on changing all the gearbox seals (input/output/selector) when ive got the box out of the 130, or just leaving them. Cars at 230k, no leaks...

If it aint broke, dont fix it Vs. Im balls deep already, whats a lil deeper. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Jacko

Ok lets say the box did have an oil leak and it was the in put shaft. what would it cost to 

1 take the box out, replace the input shaft and any other seals concerned,guessing its a manual. 

Where you are more than half way their now with the box out etc. A dare sight easier to replace them now as it is only the cost of the seals and labour if you aren't fitting them yourself. Also bet you will be pissed off if not long after you discover an  oil puddle on your garage floor which turns out to be trans fluid.

• Like 1

Allan's right @Jacko, for the sake of a few bucks do the seals whilst it's out. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Looking through the workshop manual replacing the rear crank seal is an involved process! I cant find the loctite product anywhere 

Injector (2) contains the sealing compound Loctite,
manufacturer's number 128357.

Bottle (3) contains the primer Loctite, manufacturer's
number 171000.

Any ideas on an equivalent? 

Can anyone tell me if an e46 rear hub/bearing is supposed to have a dust cover? I seem to have gotten it in my head that it should, but can’t find a PN on real OEM and the dust cover I have (front I assume) won’t fit.

only the fronts have the covers and the rears dont.

See my photos below:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

only the fronts have the covers and the rears dont.

See my photos below:

Thanks, I better get my rc caps fixed if I don’t want exposed nuts

Less of a question, more a request for confirmation:

Do all E46 coupes come with split-folding rear seats?

TIA. :)

All e46 coupes come with 40/60 folding seats. cold weather package option also includes ski bag thru the centre armrest thing

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, qube said:

All e46 coupes come with 40/60 folding seats. cold weather package option also includes ski bag thru the centre armrest thing

Ta.  :) 

What's the considered opinion on 'getting away with something..'?

I'm talking about the third brake light on a 1990 E30. An identical car from 1989 doesn't need one, but a 1990 does.

Am I fooling myself if I think we might 'get away' with not fitting the 3rd brake light to the (new) bootlid for the Baur?

2 hours ago, gjm said:

What's the considered opinion on 'getting away with something..'?

I'm talking about the third brake light on a 1990 E30. An identical car from 1989 doesn't need one, but a 1990 does.

Am I fooling myself if I think we might 'get away' with not fitting the 3rd brake light to the (new) bootlid for the Baur?

Well, if you get a WoF then you've "got away" with it for at least 6 months. Can't hurt to try. It's not like you're going to get pulled over by a cop or anything.

• Like 1

Anyone come across a "sticky shift" in an e9x? The 330 occasionally wants to get stuck in 2nd/3rd when slowly accelerating, and wont kick down,  itll bog the engine to the point of nearly stalling. Its intermittent, and being more forceful with the go pedal solves it, just annoying when creeping in traffic. No fault codes are logged. 

Edited by Jacko

Does anyone know the correct oil filter internal diameter for an M52B28? I got two suggested, one is a 27 (or 28mm) and the other 40 (or 43, can't remember now).

'96 E36.

52 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Does anyone know the correct oil filter internal diameter for an M52B28? I got two suggested, one is a 27 (or 28mm) and the other 40 (or 43, can't remember now).

'96 E36.

It will depend on if you have a plastic cap or metal cap on your oil filter housing.

I'm not 100%, but I think the plastic housing is the larger internal diameter. 

On 3/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, M3AN said:

Well, if you get a WoF then you've "got away" with it for at least 6 months. Can't hurt to try. It's not like you're going to get pulled over by a cop or anything.

Got the WoF... :)

• Like 2

1990 E30 318i - rear disc or drum brakes? (Or could they have either...?)
Car is about 120km away so I can't pop out and have a look, and RealOEM doesn't suggest one way or the other.

6 hours ago, gjm said:

1990 E30 318i - rear disc or drum brakes? (Or could they have either...?)
Car is about 120km away so I can't pop out and have a look, and RealOEM doesn't suggest one way or the other.

I believe either is possible.

My old 318i was a 1990 and had rear disk brakes though. 

Surely it's not a hard question to ask? 

10 hours ago, nick496 said:

Surely it's not a hard question to ask? 

<chuckes>

You might be surprised! ;)

• Like 1

E30 - I've got a new sunroof seal. Being a pre-facelift it comes from the factory with a 2 piece seal. I'm replacing it with the 1 piece seal from the facelift.  Where should the 2 ends of the seal meet? Is there a spot that's better than others? Or if anyone with a facelift could please tell me where they join from the factory, I would really appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, Kepes said:

E30 - I've got a new sunroof seal. Being a pre-facelift it comes from the factory with a 2 piece seal. I'm replacing it with the 1 piece seal from the facelift.  Where should the 2 ends of the seal meet? Is there a spot that's better than others? Or if anyone with a facelift could please tell me where they join from the factory, I would really appreciate it.

I'm not sure if it's the correct spot, but I had mine meet in the middle at the rear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kepes said:

1 hour ago, nick496 said:

I'm not sure if it's the correct spot, but I had mine meet in the middle at the rear. 

I think the two-piece seal is joined on the sides, a couple of inches back from the front edge. Perhaps have the single strip join in the same location?

A seal at the back could be susceptible to having water pushed towards the back of the opening panel, and possibly collecting where the seal join is. Maybe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gjm said:

I think the two-piece seal is joined on the sides, a couple of inches back from the front edge. Perhaps have the single strip join in the same location?

A seal at the back could be susceptible to having water pushed towards the back of the opening panel, and possibly collecting where the seal join is. Maybe.

Yup, you're right about where the two-piece comes together. Good logic regarding the one-piece (I thought to join it there too) however I think the back, in the middle, is the correct spot. A guy on E30 facebook group said that's where his comes together too. 

1 hour ago, nick496 said:

Cheers Nick!

Edited by Kepes

Can anyone identify this engine? It's either an m30 or m90.

35 6e a

356ea