E30stz

Quick Questions

use this tutorial to see how to get to the rear of your intrument cluster, note: they use a 6 star screw. then just swap bulb over and refit the cluster.

The offset should be OK, but they need to be 4-stud (4x100).

Anyone know if the rear seats out of an E36 coupe will fit into a E30 coupe with little or no modification. Do they mount hte same way ?

If anyones willing to grab some basic dimesions that would be awesome.

Am I better to try fit E30 brackets onto E36 coupe front seats or mod the current rails.

Edited by E30stz

Gah ~ is the BMW Model number all one needs to get the right parts for their car?

All the rest is in Jap.

Anyone ^^ ?

Also, the only way to legally remove the center "hella" brake light would be to replace with another eh'?

A LED brake light in the spoiler sufficient?

You would probably need to quote the E-code (eg. E36 E34 E30 E38 E39 etc etc.), the year, possibly whether its a facelift or pre-facelift model and maybe the VIN number that should be stamped either in the inside of hte drivers door or in the engine bay either below the windscreen or stamped onto a plate above the headlights on front drivers side in the engine bay.

Something to take into consideration is there may not be a LED brakelight spoiler for your model, the ones you may have seen could be aftermarket or non bmw.

Hey thanks, completely forgot about searching the door. Duhh.

Ah, so its still a legal requirement to have a secondary brake light in the centre of the car?

I have an e30, haven't seen any. Wouldn't mind cutting up an aftermarket spoiler, see how it goes?

Guess I could talk to a WOF person eh'?

You have to have the centre light if your car was first registered in NZ on or after 1/1/1990 so all e30 imports imported after this date and some nz new cars have to have them. The date your car was first registered is shown on the rego sticker as a month/year in smallish print lower right hand side of the sticker.

E30 Leaks - what would cause a leak that would take on water in the passenger side footwell .. it seems to be coming from the back not hte front. Any idea how to combat this. Also some dampness in rear passenger side well.

Edited by E30stz

hey.

ive got a 1990 e30 320i

And the anal vtnz guys wont give me a wof with my brake pad light on the dash staying on.

Ive had a look and the wires shot. Where it runs down the suspension strut.

But the question is how do i replace it or turn that light off.

Cheers

Easiest way is to pull the instrument cluster out and remove the light.

Easiest way is to pull the instrument cluster out and remove the light.

no way, thats a mission

the brake pad sensor is a constant circut and when the brakes where down the sensor is split in half resulting in the light coming up, just cut the wire for the sensor under the wheel arch and wire the two little wires inside together, tape it up and no more light.

you can easyily replace it later so no big deal, take the wheel off front left, and rear right for the sensors

if you cut the wire, wouldnt it still be a broken circuit ? Taking the bulb out of hte dash is not that hard really and it wont cause any permanent damage to the car.

Takes about 15mins to do with no special tools just a flat head and phillips head screwdriver and a 22mm socket which you'll probably need to go buy. and your sweet (possibly some needle nose pliers See here, its a sinch.

Edited by E30stz

C'mon, it's 10 mins max, easy as.

if you cut the wire, wouldnt it still be a broken circuit ?

if you cut just above the sensor and wire the 2 wires toghether, a bit of duct tape, no permanant damage becuase the sensor unplugs further up to replace it.

cant say ive tried removing my instrument cluster in my E36 but i know itll take longer then 10mins, cables and clips and all that crap then find the right bulb to remove. weird that it caused you to fail your warrant thoe, i flew through a warrant at VTNZ with my brake warning light up, changed the pads a few weeks after and cut the light out.

Edited by MADBMA

need help with plug. 1990 320i coupe. while mucking aroung with my central lock unit in the drivers footwell i noticed there are are few plugs in there not plugged into anything. one is black and about 3cms by 3cms. and there are two smaller white ones. what are these for and what do they plug into?

thanks

hay finally got the bit to get my 87 e30 back together but now the drivers door lock is playing up.

it unlocks fine you carnt lock it with the key full stop and you can only push it down from the inside when the door is shut.

iv pulled the door card off and found alittle spring lying in the bottom of the door and the back of the lock seems pretty worn out just woundering does anyone have some pics or know how the spring is spose to go back together

Ok here's a quicky.. car: e36 coupe

today drivin round 10ish goin home.. turned on heater (two nobs in middle max to right and that switch under the centre fan exhaust on 3 red) ... and waited 5 mins to get me toasted up.. and i got home I WAS STILL FREEZIN MY ASS OFF !!.. the engine temp was at 1/2 way..

what gives?? !! makes me want my honda back LOL

Hey guys

I have a e36 97 323 coupe

it was running MINT till last week . Now it wont turn over..

just makes a funny noise like when a compression test is done.. like wants to start but cant.

wondering if anyone knows what it could be? sparks? fuel?

THANKS

Greg

You mean like a fast ticking sound? Flat battery my friend. Solenoid on starter not engaging properly as not enough juice.

Ok here's a quicky.. car: e36 coupe

today drivin round 10ish goin home.. turned on heater (two nobs in middle max to right and that switch under the centre fan exhaust on 3 red) ... and waited 5 mins to get me toasted up.. and i got home I WAS STILL FREEZIN MY ASS OFF !!.. the engine temp was at 1/2 way..

what gives?? !! makes me want my honda back LOL

Faulty heater core maybe?

Hey guys

I have a e36 97 323 coupe

it was running MINT till last week . Now it wont turn over..

just makes a funny noise like when a compression test is done.. like wants to start but cant.

wondering if anyone knows what it could be? sparks? fuel?

THANKS

Greg

Hi

it still makes the sounds of it wanting to start. But just want turn over?/

Hi

sorry

but vehicle still has power. windows etc.should i charge battery and see.

THANKS

Hi

sorry

but vehicle still has power. windows etc.should i charge battery and see.

THANKS

Charge battery, sandpaper/file the battery terminals and clamps, and make sure they're done up tightly.