Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Three Issues

Hello

I just went to the good old testing station, and failed my warrant, nothing major though, so that is good.

Here are the reasons:

1) Big chip in my windscreen (not an issue, this is covered in my insurance policy so I get it replaced free). Funny, I have passed the two WOF's beforehand with the same ship.

2) My handbrake is out of balance (a reading of 80 on the left rear and 150 on the right rear). Is something that I can do myself? If so how?

3) My right inner tie rod has too much play in it, so needs replacing. It this easy to do? Or should I get a mechanic to do this for me?

Cheers

1st mistake was going to the testing station :P

windscrean, bonus you get a new one :D

other take it to a mech nothing major just fidley.. im sure you can do the tie rod yourself.. get a jack B)

well least you know the rest of the car is badass now

tie rods are easy grant......had to replace mine....not difficult at all

handbrake shouldnt be too hard....take off centre console and adjust the nuts on the lever? could be more involved than this but shouldnt.....i can take a look tonite if you want?

Guest Speedye30

I have a potential solution to the handbrake problem. You see the brake drums are usually static when in use and may become fouled. I don't have the exact procedure, but you just drive along at about 50kays or so and apply the handbrake for a couple of hundred metres. (You'll probably have to give it a bit of gas!) And voila! Clean and hopefully well functioning handbrake. Should be done periodically.

1/ go to the bmw dealer and get a bmw windscreen. these are claimed to be(by bmw) DESIGNED FOR BMW CAR'S(no sh*t) and claim to have been made with special stuff from normal. there's usually some paper with writing on it in store about why its so special. why i recomend: they cost more and you dont have to pay for them. check first that they will do insurance jobs before hand.

2/hand brake see maintance for my post.

My prevoius E30 had three chips on the W/screen( happened while driving across Lindis Pass ,S.I. That happened in 1990. Have passed every W.O.F. until last year when I got rejected.

Edited by 37 South

A guy at the gym the other morning sed they just had to get their new cert for wof testing, and apparently now, chips in the windscreen 140mm in from the right side of the screen and 50 from top and bottom on the drivers side of centre are a fail (used to be cracks in that area) he was also saying that chipped headlights are sposed to fail and cracked tail lights too, B.

A guy at the gym the other morning sed they just had to get their new cert for wof testing, and apparently now, chips in the windscreen 140mm in from the right side of the screen and 50 from top and bottom on the drivers side of centre are a fail (used to be cracks in that area) he was also saying that chipped headlights are sposed to fail and cracked tail lights too, B.

Blair

You are bang on, and also 150mm either side of the centreline of the drivers seat.

It was explained to me that it all has to do with being in the line of the drivers sight.

Mine was in that area.

Cheers

Guest hizza bizza

grr the same thing betta not happen to me when I go in for my warrent check at the end of the month-just been for a drive and noticed a couple of cracks (in my windscreen ha) too, and before you say it, I can't be bothered measuring it at the moment. Any idea on how much it is to get chips repaired? (I haven't got free glass with my insurance)

Nah, no idea what the cracks cost to fix.

The guy came around this morning, and repaired the chip/crack (the windscreen did not need replacing). He did a good job too, as you can hardly even see where it was.

It was covered by insurance so that was good.

Also my other issues are nearly sorted...the handbrake has been adjusted ( a piece of cake - more time consuming than anything making sure that both sides are even).

And the old tie rod is out of my car, and the new one should arrive soon, and then it is just a case of screwing it in (a big thanks to Gus for his assistance with this). BTW the old one was very work, and the ball joint had plenty of play in it...(but in no way unsafe).

Oh yeah...my oil leak is also solved (but this is in another post).

Cheers

so what happened to the inner tie rod ya got?

so what happened to the inner tie rod ya got?

The part that the outer tie rod (tie rod end) screws into was not round, it was an oval and therefore my existing outer tie rod (tie rod end) wouldn't screw into it

Gus is (or already has) going to talk to you about it.

My original inner tie rod was fairly worn (I can see why they thought it had too much play in it) and is lying on my garage floor.

Cheers

was just testin ya, i'm totally suprised it's like that because when i took it off my car sometime ago it was in perfect condition and i didn't damage it taking it off, god only knows how it got that way?? <_<

was just testin ya, i'm totally suprised it's like that because when i took it off my car sometime ago it was in perfect condition and i didn't damage it taking it off, god only knows how it got that way?? <_<

Yeah, bizarre, especially as it was all wrapped up nicely and in the box still (that your new one came in), just when we were making good progress.

Nevermind, we'll get there in the end.

Cheers

i know the joy! oh yah the dilema's are over i can just drive, right after i take the spring spacers back out again for a 20mm drop.

Yes, it is a relief.

The guy at the testing station was good. He allowed me to use the brake testing machine to get my handbrake even.

We would test, then adjust, then retest until I got it right.

I have just got to get another wheel alignment again now after fitting the new tie rod and I will be a happy chappy.

Cheers

good sh*t.

my mechcanic lets me work with him on my car. also if i got a 20min job to do eg.swap tyres round, install short shifter. he will let me use a hoist for free.

My wheels are getting re-aligned tomorrow....I have booked it in (well really just a check, they think it may be ok)...but better safe than sorry, I would hate to chew up a set of new tyres, for the sake of getting an alignment.

Cheers