Sign in to follow this  
Guest hizza bizza

anyone got the answer?

Guest hizza bizza

hey all

well short and sweet......

How come when you put an auto from park into drive the back lowers down abit?

its probably just coz youre putting power to the rear wheels, and this push forward, along with the brakes, causes the back to lower.

Thats the most logical thing i can think of.

thats when power (all 55kW or so in a 318) is transferred to the diff....not really much else to it.......

this happens also when your foot is on the brake pedal.

first the brakes have a usual bias of, 60% front, 40% back. you get more stoping power from the front brakes. when you put it in drive, the car wants to go forward but it can't. to compensate for this, the front rises. the power is transfered into a upward motion. therefore rasing the front and droping the back.

i hope this is right.

Guest TUMEKI

Well its simple really, think about it a little in simple terms. You click it into D, the auto clutch engages, the selector is in drive and in turn the drivetrain wants to turn and cant so the diff compensates and pulls the back down. Exact same when in reverse. :D

Peace Milky

Ever brake really quickly while on a normal mountain bike... and feel that urge to go head over heels over the handle bars?

I was under the impression that braking in a car was to bring the rear of the vehicle lower to aid stability, and bring ensure the weight distribution doesn't move too much to the front wheels.

when braking the whole weight of the car transfers forward....i think 70% of the braking is done at the front (quote from gerry hodges i do believe).....if there is too much brake bias toward the rear the rear end of the car will come out under braking....scary. its the same principle as a bike.....if you grab the rear brake the rear wheel locks up...if you grab the front you will stop....ive done bike races hardly using the rear brake....its just not necessary....you wont go over the bars unless you grab it suddenly....the key to braking is smoothness. come to think about it everything in driving is smoothness. smooth.

Guest Andrew

Ever brake really quickly while on a normal mountain bike... and feel that urge to go head over heels over the handle bars?

I was under the impression that braking in a car was to bring the rear of the vehicle lower to aid stability, and bring ensure the weight distribution doesn't move too much to the front wheels.

Pretty much all the weight of the car moves to the front under braking - hence the forward bias. You'll notice rear engined cars run more bias toward the back - perhaps 55:45 - as they obviously have a fair bit more weight in the back.

hizza bizza - the most fun thing about the BMW auto is.. whack it in D - and hold the brake.. quickly accelerate and let goes of the gas over and over.. it looks like you have hydraulics yo.. phat hah ;)

Guest hizza bizza

hizza bizza - the most fun thing about the BMW auto is.. whack it in D - and hold the brake.. quickly accelerate and let goes of the gas over and over.. it looks like you have hydraulics yo.. phat hah ;)

haha or just have your foot on the brake and slide it between neutral and drive (it was busy in the macas drive thru and I was bored ok :P )