Sign in to follow this  
Docile

transmission fluid

Im planning on changing the tranny fluid soon and was wondering what kind i should put in?

e36 320i 5 speed auto

cheers dudez

Im planning on changing the tranny fluid soon and was wondering what kind i should put in?

e36 320i 5 speed auto

cheers dudez

I use castrol VMX with a bit of moorey's additive... Doesn't get to thin when warm that way= smooth shifting

If you are after factory spec fluid, then it depends on your transmission type, PM your VIN number and I'm happy to look up for you.

Ok ive got a A5S310Z transmission auto (1995) e36.

was wondering whether any other semi synthetic/ synthetic ATF would do other than the "lifetime" esso LT71141

as 2nd gear jerks from 1st - 2nd.. other gears shifs fine.

ok im a bit confused about my tran pan.

its not like the ones for a A5S310Z that ive seen in service manuals and online. and also it dont have any stickers to say which fluid to put in.

Posted Image

picture taken looking back.

i felt around the pan to see if there are any other plugs, nada.. its just those 2.

Please please please be very careful what advice you listen to.

For example, Castrol VMX is a gear oil NOT an ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

The BMW (normally ZF or GM) auto transmissions can be very fussy (and usually for good reason) about which fluids to use.

I recommend you have a look at the Penrite website. They have a very good range of ATF's for different applications.

You may have to contact them (or there rep) directly but it is probably worth it. I have used Penrite products and I am very please with the results. There fully synthetic ATF is good value. I paid around $60 for 4 litres.

Here is a link to their website. http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s01_home/home.asp?dsb=62

Please be careful. If you use the wrong ATF you can cause serious damage. Its just not wirth the risk!

I hope this helps.

Cheers

yeah i know its a gear oil. was just asking where he bought it as there might be some atf fluids there synthetic..

where abouts did you buy your fully synthetic fluid?? ive been going everyone looking for one and cant find any.

and still i dont know what kind of fluid is in my car <_<:angry:

Check out the Penrite website above.

I bought it directly through the rep (nice guy) and he had it couriered to me.

They do two a full synthetic ATF's (I have used one with good and immediately noticeable results) and a semi-synthetic called BMV which I believe they developed with ZF (and other BMW transmissions) in mind, hence the name.

I think BMV is a very new product, so do a search on their site cause I dont think its listed yet under ATF's.

They have an 0800 number here which goes to Aus but they will be able to put you through to the rep. The number is 0800 533 698.

I'd also just like to point out that I'm not in any way affiliated with this company, I've just used their products and found them to be very good.

Some of their more main stream products are available at Supercheap auto.

My Honda Legend is using their products entirely and the BMW will be soon too.

As for what is already in your Bimmer? Probably just a standard DX3. But thats just a guess.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Cheers.

any way to check or sample the inside fluid in the tran pan?

Edited by Docile

Probably. You can get samples tested (I've never had it done so I don't know where).

If you are really that worried about whats already in it the safest thing would probably be to get the transmission flushed and refilled with the right kind.

Its not the cheapest but at least you know then and you can start fresh with your own servicing.

Just make sure they put the right fluid in!

Edited by bekker

ok im a bit confused about my tran pan.

its not like the ones for a A5S310Z that ive seen in service manuals and online. and also it dont have any stickers to say which fluid to put in.

Posted Image

picture taken looking back.

i felt around the pan to see if there are any other plugs, nada.. its just those 2.

If it doesn't look like the A5S310Z, maybe it's the A5S300J? Which, if it is, that's my transmission, and I want to do a fluid change but am told only 'ApolloOil ATF DIII' will work. Dexron III for sure, but I know not all transmission fluids are the same, they say you can only get it from Japan or South Africa :blink:

well anyways im thinknig of getting my ATF changed at bmworkshop which i already asked the quote for. i still cant believe imma pay someone to change an trans fluid for my car :angry: first time ever !!

after they change it im going to ask what type of fluid is in it

well anyways im thinknig of getting my ATF changed at bmworkshop which i already asked the quote for. i still cant believe imma pay someone to change an trans fluid for my car :angry: first time ever !!

after they change it im going to ask what type of fluid is in it

Which workshop is this? If it's in Auckland I may be interested. Would appreciate it if you could shoot me a PM about the price. Cheers :)

A DX3 is a DX3. Its a performance criteria, its not brand specific. Its that simple. The only difference is whether it is synthetic, semi or mineral.

However some brands are obviously better quality than others. For example, you can go to the Warehouse and buy a litre of DX3 ATF for probably less then $10, or you could buy AMSOIL at about $30. Which would you trust!

Who recommended that brand?

I thought BMW recommended Castrol anyway?

Just goes to show. Everybodies got an opinion, including me!

Seriously though guys, most workshops will use a cheaper, 'all purpose' fluid if they can. It makes sense, less stock to carry and a bigger mark up. If you really care about your transmission (and why wouldn't you, it's probably the most complex and expensive to repair part in your car) then insist on good fluid. Or better still, buy the fluid yourself, take it along to the workshop and watch them put it in.

Docile, are you having the transmission flushed?

umm probably depending on how much they quote me for.. bloody hell ive emailed them last week... i dont wanna call em coz ive had bad experience with customer service regarding workshops.. i.e.this honda parts place i went earlier this year down south.. f**k they had the worst customer service ever !!

I'm not really familier with your trans, but if you are doing a decent service you might want to change the filter, if it has one, at the same time.

ok the best quote ive had is from bavarian motors.. a full transmission service will costs me 300 bucks...

Hi! guys, I have just joined the forum and I would like to revive this thread. I have BMW 525i E34 1995 with a A5S300J tranny and want to do ATF change.

One of you have a similar transmission and wanted to do a fluid change.

Can you please tell me if you managed to change your ATF and which Fluid did you use and how many Litres. I would also like know how it turned out after the change. :rolleyes:

ok the best quote ive had is from bavarian motors.. a full transmission service will costs me 300 bucks...

this is about right. but this is not a complete flush.

a complete flush is about 11 litres(from memory) of ATF and this is obviously more expensive.

What they should do is ascertain the condition of the oil/internal bits before throwing you a figure.

i had mine done at BM workshop, not a complete flush as my gearbox condition is in prettty good condition.

also inclusive was a new filter and gaskets.

Hi! guys, I have just joined the forum and I would like to revive this thread. I have BMW 525i E34 1995 with a A5S300J tranny and want to do ATF change.

One of you have a similar transmission and wanted to do a fluid change.

Can you please tell me if you managed to change your ATF and which Fluid did you use and how many Litres. I would also like know how it turned out after the change. :rolleyes:

Your Jatco transmission needs G3 full synthetic. I would also suggest you replace the filter and pan gasket as well. After removing the filter, let it drain for at least half an hour to get most of the oil out of the torque convertor and valve body. You will need between 4 & 6 litres and a hand pump to put it in the gearbox. After filling it (while the car is running) run it through the gears and recheck level. Then road test and recheck level. The process is best done on a hoist or on 4 axle stands

• Like 1

Thanks man for the Intel, is G3 another type of ATF formulation that can be found on different brands e.g. Castrol, Caltex, Mobil like Dex II, Dex III?

I have tried using Caltex Dex II-D and BP Autran DX II, I don’t think if any of these are full synthetic. If ATF is not full synthetic, does it mean that it will hit up quickly and dry up? :mellow: