Sign in to follow this  
Guest John

Camshaft & Rockers

Guest John

Does anyone have any experience with wear on cam lobes on an M20 2 litre motor? Mine arrears to have grooves over most of the lobes. What is an effective repair, or is replacement the best option? This was discovered during an investigation into misfiring and excessive tapping noises. A broken inlet rocker (no 3) was found. Is this common? Do i replace 1 or all?

damn dude, i havent really heard of much cam damage, there is certainly some wear going on there, there are lots of companys that can do regrinds for you and/or new ones, resonable $$.. kelford cams i can recomend they have lots of different profiles available.. might as well get some more aggrsssive cams while your at it B)

check kelford out here

I have never heard of it on M20's, I know M30's are renowed for that exact problem you descibed.

The guys in the states to replace the rockers as they are supposed to be a weak link when they do head rebuilds, esp. when running a big cam or high RPM.

FCS and Kelford are able to build your cam lobes up and then grind them back into stock, discuss running a different profile cam with them. But in my opinion it is a waste of time unless you match it with other work on the engine.

you will require replacing the eccentrics. (If worn, comon problem on the M20 if not replaced when worn you will never be able to get the tappets to set correctly.)) The valve stems may require machining or replaced, the rockers and rocker shafts should be inspected.

The list can go on. Depending on how far you want to go. :D