Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Oil Leak...

Hello

I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but here is my sad story.

About a month ago I did an oil change, reused the crush washer on the sump plug, and ended up with a small leak.

Well the leak annoyed me, so I redid, my oil change and used a new crush washer.

Well, the leak is worse than before now. And it is definately coming from the dump plug (I made sure of this last night by going over everything under the car, and there is no oil coming from anywhere else and then dripping from the sump plug - being the lowest point under the car).

My thinking is that the sump plug maybe damaged in some way (it looks ok to me though). It is not the original sump plug (as this cracked), and it is not a BMW one - it is an aftermarket one I bought to replace the cracked one). Could this be the problem?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

if its from the plug then my guess is the plug is either damamged the sump is damaged saround the thread so a good seal is no longer there, or lastley the washer is pooed again :P

the sump shouldnt be a problem as long as it is the same dimension as the original.. i mean its not leaking anywhere else so its the plug dude

maybe try a slightly bigger rubber washer (just replace it every oil change...rubber prob wont like the oil).....if you really keen at next oil change take the sump off and get the thread re machined so you can use a bmw sump plug...but prob not necessary

if you really keen at next oil change take the sump off and get the thread re machined so you can use a bmw sump plug...but prob not necessary

damn thats like HEAVY over kill

what would that achieve?

genuine bmw sump plug again....they 10 x better than anything else..... <_< ...nah he WOULD have to be pretty keen but hey.....its doable!

The BMW sump plug will still fit.

I only have an aftermarket one because that was all I could get hold of in Cambridge within walking distance from my old house.

I will buy one on these for sure next oil change (or until I get sick of the oil leaking currently).

Cheers

I would clean all the oil around the sump.Check and make sure it doesnt originate from the oil press. switch, it could also seep out of the camshaft seal. Naturally it would collect and drip of the lowest point, the sum plug.If your sump plug is screwed in tight(with a new washer) there should not be a leak from there.As for genuine BMW or Aftermarket Sump plugs,I don`t think there is a lot of difference in quality. At what rate is the oil leaking, can you see it drip ?

It is not dripping fast enough to actually see it, but over night after driving the car, there would be say 5 -10 ml's of oil under the car.

I have checked again and I am 99.9% sure it is coming from the sump plug, all of the surrounding area is bone dry.

I am going to dump the oil again, clean the area up again, and put in a new sump plug, and hopefully this sorts out the problem.

GRRRR This is an annoying problem, but at least it isn't an expensive one :D

Cheers

Yay.....I have found it.

The new crush washer had split, and there was a 4mm gap in it.

Thanks christ for that.

Cheers

YAY...I have had three days with no oil leak...I think I have solved it.

Cheers