Sign in to follow this  
Guest Speedye30

M3 CSL

Guest Speedye30

I read an interesting thing today about the M3 CSL, this particular English motoring weekly was saying that for the first time on a production car the manufacturer pre-sold the cars, fixed a limited time to order, then tooled up and produced the exact number of cars. An economists dream!

I also read that many of these cars were panic over-ordered, by "scalpers" if you will. They thought that once these amazing cars were on the road, many more people would want one. And being of limited supply, this would force stock prices skyward.

Of course this did not happen, and these cars (which cost GBP59000) are now worth considerably less (up to GBP50000) serves them right. This plays into the buyer's hands though because these amazing cars are available cheaper than cost!

What do you guys think of SMG? I would really really enjoy it! Have you seen that video where the guy puts on the brakes taps the lever 4 times and does perfect 8000rpm shifts all the way down to second gear by which time he turns into the first corner? Amazing! Finally an automatic(ish) gearbox that doesn't suck!

I like the look of SMG, I'll definately get one when its affordable, dont think I'd be able to sell my E36 tho :)

When did SMG start comming out in things like the 330i?

Edited by Viking

I believe the SMG has been a cost option on the 3-series for about a year now.

Personally I've tried similar trannies (not the BMW SMG) ... and have to say I think I'd prefer the steptronic. I've financed a couple of SMG cars for clients, both of whom found them quite offputting.

(Plus the guys on Top Gear reckon they're rubbish).

oh, thats a bit of a bugger. I have driven a tiptronic caldina gt-t which was great as far as the gearbox went. Nice and responsive and lots of fun. Never driven a SMG tho.

What did they find offputting about them?

What did they find offputting about them?

The gear transition doesn't usually feel very smooth, its more like a clutchless manual in that you need to match your throttle speeds to the new gear but without the clutch to help gauge it. Thus when changing gears you tend to find your head snaps forward (or back) and end up feeling LESS in control than a steptronic or normal auto box. <_<

Thats just the opinion of two guys I know though... each to their own.

The tiptronic should be very similar to the steptronic.

Guest Andrew

hmm.. how about SMGII.. I've heard the ferrari sequencial boxes are a bit rough.. but then again your not using it as a daily driver and shifting at 3000 rpm are you.

All the steptronic cars i've driver have been terrible - BMW included.

my mates, dads... mate? if you get what i mean, had a manual 2001 m3, then traded in very recently for a .....csl, and believe me, the shifts were pretty sweet.

yea thats right.

ive driven a csl.

haha nah, actually i was the passenger and my friend was driving but farr, its was pretty cool.

completely unrelated, this guy also targas a 400hp V8 capri. now that is a scary drive...

The gear transition doesn't usually feel very smooth, its more like a clutchless manual in that you need to match your throttle speeds to the new gear but without the clutch to help gauge it. Thus when changing gears you tend to find your head snaps forward (or back) and end up feeling LESS in control than a steptronic or normal auto box. [

Thats quite dissapointing really, I thought SMG would be the ideal blend of auto/manual but it sounds like it still has a few bugs :unsure:

All the steptronic cars i've driver have been terrible - BMW included.

Also harsh shifts?

I quite like my steptronic, more fun than my previous car (automatic). It would be better if the lag time in changing gear was reduced (I think some of the new steptronic transmissions can be a 20ms change time... :D

The way I see it is that steptronic gives you the best of both worlds... being able to amble around down in Drive or Sports Drive if you don't feel like changing 1st-2nd-1st-2nd-3rd-1st but still change down for corners & maintain control.

Guest Andrew

Audi's SMG is where its at - it makes the millisecond sh*t times of ferrari/alfa and bmw look long.

It has two input shafts - say you select first gear , one input shaft is turning first gear, the second input shaft is turning second.. a gearshift only means changing input shaft - pretty nifty aye.. I don't know if it is out in any production cars.

Audi's SMG is where its at - it makes the millisecond sh*t times of ferrari/alfa and bmw look long.

It has two input shafts - say you select first gear , one input shaft is turning first gear, the second input shaft is turning second.. a gearshift only means changing input shaft - pretty nifty aye.. I don't know if it is out in any production cars.

Isn't that CVT?

Guest Andrew

It has two input shafts - say you select first gear , one input shaft is turning first gear, the second input shaft is turning second.. a gearshift only means changing input shaft - pretty  nifty aye.. I don't know if it is out in any production cars.

Isn't that CVT?
No - absolutely nothing like it.. its a true sequencial transmission. Normally they only have one input shaft, the AUDI one is special.

CVT is constantly variable transmission - its terrible - its essentially infintely variable gear, there are pre-set ratios so it appears the transmission is changing. But, if you floor it in a CVT car.. the torque convertor stalls and then the transmission then alters the gear ratio to keep the car in the power band. Its a great "idea" however I haven't seen ONE CVT car that drives properly - very jerky at low rpm, very jerky at low speed, very jerky slowing down blah blah. Thats Honda, Rover, Nissan - all seem terrible - then again they are probably all the same gearbox.

It has two input shafts - say you select first gear , one input shaft is turning first gear, the second input shaft is turning second.. a gearshift only means changing input shaft - pretty  nifty aye.. I don't know if it is out in any production cars.

Isn't that CVT?
No - absolutely nothing like it.. its a true sequencial transmission. Normally they only have one input shaft, the AUDI one is special.

CVT is constantly variable transmission - its terrible - its essentially infintely variable gear, there are pre-set ratios so it appears the transmission is changing. But, if you floor it in a CVT car.. the torque convertor stalls and then the transmission then alters the gear ratio to keep the car in the power band. Its a great "idea" however I haven't seen ONE CVT car that drives properly - very jerky at low rpm, very jerky at low speed, very jerky slowing down blah blah. Thats Honda, Rover, Nissan - all seem terrible - then again they are probably all the same gearbox.

OK. I heard one Audi take off which would have had a CVT, sounded like it had one gear, just sitting at the same engine speed even though it was picking up speed. I wanna drive one though.

I think DAF started the CVT scene back in the '60s :lol:

Thus when changing gears you tend to find your head snaps forward (or back) and end up feeling LESS in control than a steptronic or normal auto box.

I agree. I drove an E46 M3 SMG and would rather have the third pedal anytime.

Ahh, that would be the only gearbox that Top Gear said worked right :D

dont compare smg with tiptronic coz one is an auto and one is a clutchless manual. No torque converter means no power loss (other than the extra weight smg gives)

Some people love it, some people hate it.