Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e30 s50b32 turbo project.

Well its time again ... mod bug time ..

Assault and myself got talking ... rang up Gus and Andy and well ... this is what happened.

About 3 weeks ago we picked up the donor car.

A mint '86 m325i m-tech1

The plans have mostly been in planning over the past 5 weeks and we have most of it mapped out so can now share with you what we are up too.

None of this is 100% but after a lot of research and meetings, this seems to be where we are going.

[updated]

Engine: Forged m50 turbo (goal to build it too 700bhp capible)

ECU: Link plus G2

Rear sub frame: M Coupe trailing arms, half shafts, e28 diff flanges

Drive shaft: Mark Herbert custom

Manifold: Mark Herbert custom (snakes!)

Diff: LSD

Surge tank: Mark Herbert custom

Fuel: Bosch 044 (TBC)

Injectors: TBC

Cage: Mark Herbert chromoly

Interior: TBC

Breaks: 6pot superlites Wilwood

Body work: Still really at two minds weather to do a custom e30 m3 setup or a wide body curve arch mtech w metch 2 rear / m3 touring car front .. might be talking to you tony too draw something up ;)

The car will be a road legal serious street / fun track car.. once we use to the car ... targa and we will be attending various hill climbs.

anyways .. this is a plan and there is a lot of detail i've left off here like what we are going to be doing engine internals wise (welding up water channels and the custom engine internals / gearbox etc etc)

power wise ... goal is to do 400rwhp .. with a 300rwhp wet street tune map and a 500+rwhp drag setup map (we will see)

We will have antilag, launch control and flat shifting.

We will do a full photo diary with the step by step as usual :)

let the fun begin!

Cant wait to see this! Whats your budget?

sorry man, rather not say :D .. but its realistic...

nah ... was gonna cost 25k to do (w/ gearbox conversion) .. and for my daily its a bit of a waste. Better to put money into something that will be 100% up for it :)

OMG awesome! finally someone in NZ is giving the good old m20 the treatment,

Possible copys of the exhaust manifold? sounds like an awesome project

Nice work Josh. Looking forward to watching the project take shape. Judging by the last one this should be one hell of a car by the time your done.

haha budget. its good to have something in mind at the start it helps ya to feel like ya have some control :lol:

Give me a call about this, i might be able to help.

Edited by conrod

one word..... LOADED...

This will be badass, depending on how this goes and what sorta money you spend in the end I will probably end up following in your footsteps... Nice one!

Shouldn't be hard to get 300hp, as Nick got that from an S42.

for sure ... ill pm you .. catch up this week ?

depending on how this goes and what sorta money you spend in the end I will probably end up following in your footsteps... Nice one!

sure ...the aim is also to share with all what we go through and document as much as possible in the process. people will more than welcome to take a look .. when its rolling

Giveus a few days,see if we cant come up with a few choises for you.

Sounds seriously cool.

got jiggy with photoshop tonight ... and built this of how we think it should look if we go the m3 way.

e30 M3 non evo bumper

custom m3 sides

hole cut in the bumper for the intercooler will be formed and finished propely

Posted Image

comments ?

Is that your car with guards and front lights etc chopped on? Looks tough as! Still liking that sketch of the red car in the other thread! that would be oh so sick!

Fu#k me that looks sweet! im really liking that look.Maby one thing you could ad would be colour coded dtm style wing mirrors. (the proper non vented jobbies) you no the ones that hug the body? i think that would suit the flow of the m3 guards better.

looks aws. Not too sure on the staggered wheel though, arent e30s more understeery than oversteery? If so, staggered could make it prone to a lot of understeer, Id just go with 8s all round IMO, but yuh, im not too sure.

got jiggy with photoshop tonight ... and built this of how we think it should look if we go the m3 way.

e30 M3 non evo bumper

custom m3 sides

hole cut in the bumper for the intercooler will be formed and finished propely

Posted Image

comments ?

Looks great. only thing I would change is the intercooler, paint it black. (less rice, more alpina)

needs a vtec badge.

question: why custom driveshaft?

and for appearance...my vote is matt black mtech1

Maybe one thing you could ad would be colour coded dtm style wing mirrors. (the proper non vented jobbies) you no the ones that hug the body? i think that would suit the flow of the m3 guards better.

yea will be doing this for sure ..

Is that your car with guards and front lights etc chopped on? Looks tough as! Still liking that sketch of the red car in the other thread! that would be oh so sick!

Its a non evo m3 I found ... very similar to what we are trying to achieve ...

Looks great. only thing I would change is the intercooler, paint it black. (less rice, more alpina)

Hmmm will keep the ribs polished (not silver) and we will paint the viens (coring) black. The problem with painting the cooler black is you start to get too much black on the car, and you start to screw the lines and over all look of the car. Alot of people make basic design / form following function mistakes when designing their cars. Colours and how much colour to display is all key to the 'look' of a vehicle.

something I took into careful consideration when designing up the e46 sedan to m3 kit conversion

looks aws. Not too sure on the staggered wheel though, arent e30s more understeery than oversteery? If so, staggered could make it prone to a lot of understeer, Id just go with 8s all round IMO, but yuh, im not too sure.

Will be a 18x9 rear and 18x8 setup for street, and 16x8 (on formula R's) for race... Andy has worked out the suspension package for it based on what hes tested on his race car.. Its getting a full set of H&R coil overs (with rear unibody conversion to cope) that with 400rwhp .. understeer it wont :)

Black Hell no keep it silver!

Itll be this silver maybe with a special type of metallic in it (pearling)