Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

e30 s50b32 turbo project.

Looking good Josh, It's coming together well!!

Is that one of Lee's (massive) BBK's?? You doing the rear too??

I thought you said some where the rear springs were "barrel"shaped!?! They don't look it.

Just watch out for coilbind, cause in the stock location you may find the TA's go a bit "banana" after some decent pounding!! And the M-coupe bracing does not address this.

Were those the LM's on tardme, from napier or hastings??

Keep the pic's coming!!!

Yup the brakes are Lee Voung hats.

Nope they are cylinder shaped rears and the fronts are 'barrel' shaped fronts with a 525/700 pound split. Hard as f**k but its not being made for comfort.

We have new adjustible seating in place of a the standard rear spring purch so this shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah the LM's were those ones ... Didnt end up dealing through trademe however, just bought them out right. Where going to get custom 313 wheels made up but the LM's came up just in time.

Just finishing off the new smaller brake booster / audi 25mm master cylinder fitment. We will clean up the second hand booster later on after the fabrication stage as no point have newly painted / coated parts with welding and sh*t going on.

Engine work starts in a couple of weeks, I am quitely excited about this part :) Just working on the things to be 'don in fabrication' list and the mock up logistics plans.

Time for an update.

Been a while since the last update.

The engine has been in at hi velocity being worked on and prepped for mock and generally being checked.

The s50b32 has had a bit of a hard life outside and unfortunily had water in cylinder 1 which has caused a bit of pitting. The crank also hand a bit of minor rust on it but nothing that a bit of machining wont fix.

Rust in Cylinder 1

Posted Image

s50 block (note 3.2ltr cylinder walls are pretty thin as standard in the ole iron block)

Posted Image

Head

Posted Image

Double Vanos and cams

Posted Image

As it stands cylinder 1 is being bored to 18thou to check that the pitting doesnt extend over the 20 thou (.5mm) bore we are looking to do.

Standard pistons are 86.4mm we will take it to 86.9mm.

Once everything is sorted out, we will be ordering 86.9mm over size J.E oversize low comp forged pistons with 10thou under size main and big end bearings.

Brendon and I have been learning a whole lot over the past month around what combination will suit our application and have had some excellent help from overseas in what options we will be going with.

We will be looking at the the mock up engine install this side of NYE. Then around feb get the car into have the piping and manifold hung / fab'd up.

Anyways that all for now. Will post more on the drive train conversion (which is now complete) with photos when I get home tomorrow :)

thats some nasty rusting..hopefully the block is ok.

looking forward to further progress...now that i am a net e30 fan only!

Yup the brakes are Lee Voung hats.

Nope they are cylinder shaped rears and the fronts are 'barrel' shaped fronts with a 525/700 pound split. Hard as f**k but its not being made for comfort.

We have new adjustible seating in place of a the standard rear spring purch so this shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah the LM's were those ones ... Didnt end up dealing through trademe however, just bought them out right. Where going to get custom 313 wheels made up but the LM's came up just in time.

Just finishing off the new smaller brake booster / audi 25mm master cylinder fitment. We will clean up the second hand booster later on after the fabrication stage as no point have newly painted / coated parts with welding and sh*t going on.

Engine work starts in a couple of weeks, I am quitely excited about this part :) Just working on the things to be 'don in fabrication' list and the mock up logistics plans.

Hey Josh, I must have missed this reply.

I'm pretty sure you have the spring in the wrong way around, the cylindrical springs should be in the front and the barrels in the rear!!!

Have a look in the cylindrical springs they will have the length/dia/rate printed on them, I can see 0500-0225-??? Thats 5" long 2.25" dia can't see the rate, but judging by the coil dia they look to be ~500lbs.

The reason for the 'barrel' shaped rears is the short cylindrical type (that they use to use in the rear) coil bind too easily causing handling nightmares and damage the trailing arms.

What size spacers are you running up front?? 20mm??

Shame about the manky state of the S50, hope it didn't cost you much!!

With all this machining work it doesn't leave much life in that block for future rebuilds.

Keep the pic's coming!!!

sweet, will look into the suspension when I get home, the whole thing will be pulled to bits later next yeah as the sub frame is being done the same time its in the shop.

Yeah a bit of a pooer about the engine but no worry, by the time we need to rebuild it, I will have another block by then.