Sign in to follow this  
Gus

the saga continues....

again no music......seems to be happening rather often.....just been out playing with a voltmeter.....come back with the following conclusions

1) i know nothing about ICE

2) there is no prob with my remote cable connection....

3) the power is getting to the amp no problems.....

4) which makes me think maybe my amp is fried? how easy is it to do? (fry that is).....if it is....not a HUGE deal...just wire it to the headunit...but irritating nonetheless

and ive noticed on some bmw (e21 ive been driving) the stereo and all electrics stay on when you start the car....no turning everything off when it fires up.....is that normal? or just my retarded car?

Guest hizza bizza

take it the fuse on the amp is sweet?

Is the amp earthed properly?

Are the speaker wires connected properly?

and ive noticed on some bmw (e21 ive been driving) the stereo and all electrics stay on when you start the car....no turning everything off when it fires up.....is that normal? or just my retarded car?

if yo stereo etc stay on when starting it means you have a good battery, ie it can maintain 12V to the stereo whilst also supllying enough to the engine, (starter motor and alternator).

part IV .............a new hope

bro, me think you need to get your ice pro installed if you keep f**king it up. or at least pay sumone with some beers who knows what they are doing!!!!

GUS

big sigh

fuses on amp are sweet...the amp itself isnt turning on

would it not being earthed properly mean it doesnt turn on? will check this out.....thinking about just taking the amp out if cant fix it...just wire speakers to headunit....the speakers are wired correctly....i just got a new battery....having said that my music hasnt worked since my new battery....so need to see what happens...why does only bmw stereo stay on? all other cars ive driven stereos turn off.....its actually like my amp is f**ked...hmmm....oh the fun

ok you really need to pull out your head unit and check each wire, check rcas, remote wire, earth everything like your life depends on it :D.. and make sure you have the level on the amp turned up :P oh and check the grounding for your amp again ;) use bare metal.. ie sand back any paint on grounding surface (chassis)

failing all me and (i doubt it but maybe homy) will come up for the meet and tear it all out and redo it for a box... or make you tear it all out and watch you put it all back in properly this time

ok...rechecked everything....amp is grounded properly (it makes a circuit....tested with a voltmeter)....the headunit is fine and playing.....its just the amp....it DOESNT turn on!.....the remote cable is fine....checked with voltmeter as well.....only things i can think of is either the connection between the amp and the remote cable is f**cked....or the amp is fried..or the headunit isnt sending the signal through the remote cable....either or....any other suggestions before i get angry and take everything out again?...

Guest hizza bizza

what about the fuse thats on the amp power cable is that all gravy?

Edited by hizza bizza

whack it with hammer...

there, that is my advice for audio (as you can tell I know nothing).

I have a simple CD player that works, noise comes out - buggered if I know how..but it does.

Bypass the amp, run your speakers directly off your tuner, see how that goes.

It must be a Friday afternoon...

Cheers

fuse on power amp cable sweet (the voltmeter was used).....

its hammer time......

sorry had to say it whilst on the subject of car audio.....anyway over weekend might just wire it up directly to headunit...a lot of hassle but i want my rammstein!

Guest hizza bizza

fuse on power amp cable sweet (the voltmeter was used).....

sweet, you could have just looked and seen straight away if that fuse was f**ked, but A+ for effort with the voltmeter :P . Now to find out if the whole circuit is working find the earth cable and the amp power cable and place them both on your tounge...........

re earthed it to the battery this morn...no earthing probs! i seriously think amp is f**ked...musta short circuited it by touching +ve and ground together....dayum!

oh bout the tongue thing......the whole circuit works.....

Guest hizza bizza

re earthed it to the battery this morn...no earthing probs! i seriously think amp is f**ked...musta short circuited it by touching +ve and ground together....dayum!

oh bout the tongue thing......the whole circuit works.....

hmmm this should have only fried a fuse, but yeah might be time to have a nosey inside the amp, see if there is anything obviously buggered.

Failing that,as it sounds like you have a love for hammers..........

again.....

everythings out now.....and was just testing....i plugged the head unit in and decided to test one of the speakers....so plugged a front one into the front speaker wire outlets off the headunit...

nothing....bearing in mind that only one speaker is being tested....shouldnt something happen? or am i just thinking wishfully?......this makes me think that maybe it isnt the amp....could be the headunit? if so.....ghey!......if/when i get round to re wiring it i will run the front speakers off the headunit and the rears off the amp....so not a total waste of time whichever way u look at it.....HELP ME!.....want music

oh and just in case anyone was wondering.....the headunit itself stays turned on....it plays cds fine...i just cant hear them!

smell your amp time... what is the age of it?... did it just stop working?.. beaten it with a hammer yet?

havent hammered yet.....dunno how old it is...came with car....its not connected at the moment....im thinking it the headunit as the speakers dont work even when connected to it....damn so confused.....

fixed! the remote cable from the headunit doesnt work..have the cable directly to battery now (thanks graeme!) and its all gravy....the fronts are running off the headunit...with the rears and sub off the amp......sounding good (i bought sub back..missed the bass)....rammstein all the way.....ah...happy gus

fixed! the remote cable from the headunit doesnt work..have the cable directly to battery now (thanks graeme!) and its all gravy....the fronts are running off the headunit...with the rears and sub off the amp......sounding good (i bought sub back..missed the bass)....rammstein all the way.....ah...happy gus

Gus I didnt mean you should wire it like that for good .......just to check where the fault was .If the remote cable on the head unit isnt working use the ACC output instead ,at least that way the amp will be switched on & off with the key :D

ACC?? dumb it down a little.......agree....kinda getting annoying having to get out and fiddle with battery whenver i park at gtrants

ACC?? dumb it down a little.......agree....kinda getting annoying having to get out and fiddle with battery whenver i park at gtrants

The same wire that signals the head unit to switch on & off (usually the yellow wire on an aftermarket head unit)

very very cunning....will give that a go

lol.. ah gus.. has the acc wiring done the trick, take the unit to a solid place that wont ream you to have a look at it shouldnt be to much $$