Sign in to follow this  
warrenp

exhaust manifold leak on e30 (325i)

Hi folks,

I failed my WOF today on (among other small things) an exhaust manifold leak... And I've heard it's best to let these things alone if you can get away with it because the risk of snapping a nut will mean pretty much a new engine, or equally massive job...

Does anyone know of a trick on m20's to loosen the nuts? Any way to pre-lubricate them before trying to turn them? What about spraying crc on them every morning for a month?

Any ideas much appreciated!!!

I also need headlights, right outer (facing front of car) and left middle. Anyone have these parts for sale?

Hi folks,

I failed my WOF today on (among other small things) an exhaust manifold leak... And I've heard it's best to let these things alone if you can get away with it because the risk of snapping a nut will mean pretty much a new engine, or equally massive job...

Does anyone know of a trick on m20's to loosen the nuts? Any way to pre-lubricate them before trying to turn them? What about spraying crc on them every morning for a month?

Any ideas much appreciated!!!

I also need headlights, right outer (facing front of car) and left middle. Anyone have these parts for sale?

You should be lucky enough to undo the nuts after a spray of CRC or Rostoff (spelling - is a wurth product). you may find that 1 or 2 studs will wind out from the head instead of the nut coming off the stud. This is not a problem as you can just wind it back in like a bolt. If you are unlucky enough to snap a stud off it is an easy fix as long as there is enough stud still in the head to get either vice grips or a stud removal socket onto it. The studs normally snap where the thread ends.

buy a complete set of new studs and nuts if your are keen to replace all of them.

Might save you the hassel of risking a breakage again.

Edited by bumpstop325

Thanks for replies! I'll try my luck with crc... (after the holiday down south)