Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

so what do you guys think?

ive been working on this for a few months and had the design in my head for fricken ages, just finished yesterday, it aint perfect but its my first attempt at this sort of thing, i still got to do the sides to it but thats in the baby processes of design, so whats do you guys think?

Posted Image

and at night: it lights up quite bright, hard to get a good shot.

Posted Image

yeah i gotta do the side bits, which ill try get onto soon, and cover the ends of the capacitor, you wont see any wire when im done :)

Hah pretty sweet? Got any shots of the installation? What are you running? Still got the spare tire? Guess you'll need standard shocks/springs in the rear now huh?

yeah i got some shots of installation, but it was pretty straight foward all 6mm MDF so not to heavy it dont weigh down the car to much so doesnt matter about shocks and springs, and i still got the spare! :) would of been easyer to get rid of it but i worked around it, cuz being stuck on the side of the road with a flat tyre sucks. <_< ill post some more pics when i finish the sides, im gonna do some drawers in the sides for tools and what not, i like to carry alot of tools :)

Hah pretty sweet? Got any shots of the installation? What are you running? Still got the spare tire? Guess you'll need standard shocks/springs in the rear now huh?

^^

How hard if I was to do your ///M on the boot lid underside in your opinion?

Did you use any sound deadning?

^^

How hard if I was to do your ///M on the boot lid underside in your opinion?

Did you use any sound deadning?

the e36s have sound deadning material all through it so no need really, behind the wall with the amp and capicatator runs 2 900 watt subs facing the driver so not much sound in the boot anyway.

as for the underside of the boot lid, i spose it would be posible, a little bit harder, you would have to take off the tool box and get a nice mould of the area, probably be easyer to use fibre glass in this instance, would look quite cool thoe, wish i had thought of that before, cant put the ///M up there now do somthing a bit different with that :)

Should grab some black screws [or black screw caps] for your hinges; pity you couldn't grab some hinges that open from beneath?

With the huge 'firewall' bit in the boot and passenger seats, did you remove any extra of it?

yeah i was gonna get down there with some black spraypaint to cover up thoes screws, and i couldnt find any hinges that open from underneath so was a bit bummed about that.

With the huge 'firewall' bit in the boot and passenger seats, did you remove any extra of it?

do you mean the rear seats? they block alot of noise and at the moment i just drop them down, but i have somthing in the cards for them, so i can leave them up and still get enough noise through them, just gonna remove some of the metal.

Guest Andrew

Good work -

I'd be careful removing any rear firewall - you will fail WOFs if they notice.

Good work -

I'd be careful removing any rear firewall - you will fail WOFs if they notice.

so i cant remove any of that metal backing from the seats? i was gonna cut some holes through them for 4 inch ports, 2 in each seat, is there any way round it? like certified from vinz?

so i cant remove any of that metal backing from the seats? i was gonna cut some holes through them for 4 inch ports, 2 in each seat, is there any way round it? like certified from vinz?

The metal firewall at the back of the e36 (and e30s) has been pre-cut for the ski bag accessory thing that appears through the arm rest. If you look close the oval shape metal cover is only tac welded in four corners. A few taps with a hammer and the cover will come out leaving a prefect oval hole (30cm by 25cm) to get sound between the boot & interior. As the hole is already made for the ski bag kit you shouldn't have any warrant issues as no cutting is required.

However , The e36 backseat as a reasonable level of sound deadening on it , so bass coming from the boot through the hole / backseat combo will drop the bass by about 10 -12 db. I've used this hole to mount a simple IB 12 inch subwoofer up against it in the past. Sub worked well on the e30's due to back seat design, the e36 required more power because of the back seat.

One thing to consider is that the boot isn't so air tight so you need to be careful about exhaust fumes entering the cabin via the boot (especially if de-cat performed). Mainly an issue if you carry something in the boot that needs the boot lid slightly open.

Use a "piano hinge" It'll mount to the ends of the MDF. It doesn't matter that it's only 6mm as piano hinges go the whole length of the hinge point so you can use smaller screws - just much more of them.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Bummer, I've got an e30, with no arm rest -- and therefore no ski hole. Was considering cutting some holes in the firewall but keeping its strength [if needed] _or_ I was going to port the parcel like tray when I remove the rear speakers? Guess I will need some filter to stop any fumes getting through though, or should be pretty tight if I make my box right. Hrm..

Hey man what did you use for the ///M light? coloured plexiglass? looks badass...

Hey man what did you use for the ///M light? coloured plexiglass? looks badass...

it was a mission trying to get the lights, i got 6 mm thick plexi glass there then went to a copyer place told them the coulors i wanted and the printed me off a big clear sticker for the color, kind of like a tint, im not a very good tinter i found out to, it has a few bubbles and probably needs redoing, underneth is a light box, controled by the boot opening, i made a healthy amount of wiring for it so i can remove the light box and take it down to the from of the car for thoes sticky situations at nite.

The metal firewall at the back of the e36 (and e30s) has been pre-cut for the ski bag accessory thing that appears through the arm rest.

dont have an arm rest either, does anyone no the legal requirement for IF i can cut holes into the metal backing of the seats?

and not really worried bout fumes, i dont carry anything in the boot that will leave the lid open, girlfriends car for that, and if its fumey ill open a window :)

oh and ill look in to thoes piano hinges

Bummer, I've got an e30, with no arm rest -- and therefore no ski hole. Was considering cutting some holes in the firewall but keeping its strength [if needed] _or_ I was going to port the parcel like tray when I remove the rear speakers? Guess I will need some filter to stop any fumes getting through though, or should be pretty tight if I make my box right. Hrm..

It doesn't matter if you've got an arm rest backseat or not. Have a close look at the metal pannel where the armrest sit in front of.The pannel has more tac welds than i'd rememebered , A few light taps with a hammer and chisel each tac weld will pop leaving a nice pre-cut oval hole . You could put the pannel back when you sell the car. (See attached jpg's)

One is from a pfl E30 323i the other is from a 91 E36 sedan.

post-797-1160192107_thumb.jpg

post-797-1160192140_thumb.jpg

It doesn't matter if you've got an arm rest backseat or not. Have a close look at the metal pannel where the armrest sit in front of.The pannel has more tac welds than i'd rememebered , A few light taps with a hammer and chisel each tac weld will pop leaving a nice pre-cut oval hole . You could put the pannel back when you sell the car. (See attached jpg's)

One is from a pfl E30 323i the other is from a 91 E36 sedan.

Ah k, interesting. A mate and me had a quick glimpse and couldn't see it previously but guess I'll have to remove more of the deadning or the seats and have a close inspection. Do you guys find the bass difference sufficient with the ski hole removed?

Ah k, interesting. A mate and me had a quick glimpse and couldn't see it previously but guess I'll have to remove more of the deadning or the seats and have a close inspection. Do you guys find the bass difference sufficient with the ski hole removed?

You'll find the sound deadening on the E30 doesn't drop the bass to much. If you not going to enter SPL contests it will be fine.

E36 Backseat drops the bass quite a bit, but wasn't too worried; it was the wife’s car with about 300 rms on bass. Had enough bottom end for her and she normally used lower volumes for her music. Amp was running about 10db of gain to compensate.

I reckon the ultimate bass would be achieved by integrating the ports from the enclosure directly with holes cut into the rear parcel shelve.

I reckon the ultimate bass would be achieved by integrating the ports from the enclosure directly with holes cut into the rear parcel shelve.

Thats what I will be considering, cut up the current tray and if it goes nicely I'll just make a nice new tray without the speaker holes.

Beautiful.