Sign in to follow this  
warrenp

Speedo out after trying to replace stereo...

My fiance wanted sounds for our trip down to Timaru and so I tried to replace the uncoded head unit with a working sony, and while testing which wires to connect where I saw a few sparks...

Then the stereo power wires stopped giving off 12volts (tested with multimeter) and when I drove down to get fuses, I noticed I was doing 0 kph the whole way... I replaced two blown fuses in the engine bay fuse box (not sure if they were recent blow outs or not) and still the stereo isn't lighting up (the original alpine unit) and the speedo doesn't budge at any speed...

Anyone ever have this happen? Any idea what I've done? Are there fuses anywhere else other than the engine bay?

Cheers in advance for any replies!

well if it aint fuses then the next thing it could be is that you might have burnt out some wires, it wont be much fun trying to find em.

"uncoded head unit"

Only BMWs vehicles from 2001 and newer have coded head units (the so-called 'new generation' radios)

What car are you driving?

If you mean the security code, and you've lost it, I might be able to work out the code for you

As for your problem - check all fuses, check your cable integrity, check the unloader relays, make sure your new stereo is not overloading the power lines and blowing a fuse when you wind the volume up loud (!!)

and it helps to advise what year/model BMW you have....Jochen

Thanks for replies! Sorry, my car is an e30 325i 1987. And yes, the Alpine stereo just says (or said to be precise) CODE at me. The Model is CM 5905, and Serial number is 145123.

I will check as you have advised...

Fixed it!! I had overlooked that fuse number 12 had also blown. Now the original alpine is saying CODE to me once again. Jochen, If you have any idea how to work out what code to put in I'd be most appreciative! Warren

you should go to pelican parts and look at the fuse description sooo handy for this stuff, you may have noticed the interior lights were out too?? it tells yous all the different things on circuits etc and what fuse..

Edited by nz320i

Fixed it!! I had overlooked that fuse number 12 had also blown. Now the original alpine is saying CODE to me once again. Jochen, If you have any idea how to work out what code to put in I'd be most appreciative! Warren

No worries, I found the code!! I rang BMW dealers until one had a book of codes. So now I am rocking away to 20 year old sound technology... Pitty I can't hook my diskman or mp3's up to it though...