Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

My E36 318 TI

Thats still a great price. Do you notice any differene? Any idea if they have e30 ones?

I'm pretty sure that European has rare ones for the E30 not sure about the front though. And they have a racing dynamics one for a 6cyl front, and another unbranded 6cyl front which they just got it, I wanted one of them but they wont fit my car because its a 4cyl

how much does it cost roughly do that sort of a conversion in a 95 e36 320i?

nice work by the way looks mint!

how much does it cost roughly do that sort of a conversion in a 95 e36 320i?

nice work by the way looks mint!

I purchased the 318 TI Mtech for $2500...the doner 328I coupe for $4000

It took us 4 days to do the original conversion, using alot of new parts....every thing to do will cooling system is brand new. The car owes me approx $13,000 now not including labour. Read the whole thread...I'm sure I've explained it all... was easy to do...you could probably do it cheaper cause y'rs is already a 6 cylinder and my costs include tyres, brakes, diff, exhaust, rear suspension and the "cert".

I'd also like to add that it's certified at 75mm, because its all done properly. "Safety must come first"

Getting back to your question tho....I'd say about $6,000 to $8,000 depending on where you get the motor & box from and if you do it yourself. 2 people @ 4 days in a workshop costs $$$$$$ and it will costs more if you use engine/gearbox after 1997, due to canbus systems. Both the cars I used were 1997. The engine & gearbox systems are split from body systems, ABS & SRS.

And thankyou for the comments

Come and have a look on the 16th

Cheers

Glenn

Looks good. Lose the stripes and tint the windows.

I like the stripes and I would upset Shelly if I took em off...lol

post-1129-1161802025_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1161801989_thumb.jpgNew pictures after droppin the bum down an extra 30mm and fitting the CAI

You've had the CAI fitted for some time now, are you happy with it? None you would prefer to get instead? I'm wanting to get one for me 320i coupe 94. Through autopassion?

I'm very happy with it. Throaty sounds and a bit more responsive under full throttle.

Easy to fit & service.....I give these the thumbs up.

"Play safe"

Glenn

Thanx very much Yuen. Since the pictures were taken I've dropped the bum another 35mm with some new H&R springs and had the rear bilsteins shortened. Also fitted the carbon fibre CAI which is featured in another thread. Yes your right about the wheels. I'm running 225/45/17 Diresa's on them. Found these to be quite a good tyre. If anyone is interested I have the old H&R springs for sale. They were the wrong ones for the car and so were the shocks. They are for an E36 sedan or coupe and a least you can get the bilsteins modified and reset to suit. The springs will drop the bum by 40mm.I'll do some more pictures soon.

Cheers

Glenn

yeh kool how u did the conversion why not convert to manual at same time id like to take it an go looking for mercs!! hahaha also im kinda new to this not to sound to much like an idiot how much does it cost to get shorten shocks ? i lowered mine 80 mil at the back on 19z on standard shocks an mite be droping the car more :wacko:

also im very intersted in this CAI hom uch does it set back ? an from where

Posted Image

Edited by PBOY

Cost me $100 each to have the Bilsteins shortened and set up. The Simota CAI cost me $175. The dealer info is on another thread. I dont have their details hear at home.

"Play safe"

Glenn

QUOTE:

i lowered mine 80 mil at the back on 19z on standard shocks an mite be droping the car more ......more ?????

You might be at your limit

alright Glenn is it easy to disconnect the asc cos its not much fun with it on full time !

or do you know if their is a switch somewhere so you can control it! on or off cheers .

alright Glenn is it easy to disconnect the asc cos its not much fun with it on full time !

or do you know if their is a switch somewhere so you can control it! on or off cheers .

The motor/gearbox I used didn't have ASC.. so it was easy. ASC is programmed into DME,EGS & ABS and works via Canbus. If you dont have an ASC switch on the dash, I dont think its possible to reprogramme. Can check tomorrow... however I think your stuck with it.

By the way ASC is there for a reason "Safety"

"Play safe"

Glenn

Just an update

Yesterday we removed the small case 3.91:1 diff and TI axles

Checked the diff I bought, thanks to Ray @ HellBMW and fitted new side seals

The new diff is an open 3.64:1 medium case out of an E30 325I, the original donor car ..a E36 328I Coupe ran the 3.64:1 diff as well....so it all matches up now

We fitted the E30 ABS axles and fitted the diff... a little tight under there with the spare

but I'm sure theres enough clearance. Swapped the speedo sensors ( different pins )

Caution doing this... the ABS rings on the E30 axles are slightly larger in diameter

Removed ABS sensors first and after fitting calculated the spacing...1.5mm washer under

the mount

Refilled with full synthetic 75w/90 and a road test.

Much better to drive now and still heaps of grunt

Load signal ( air mass sensor ) and speed sensor (gearbox) are compatible now and I dont

need to drive around in sports mode all the time.

A good thing with this, it doesnt have "ice" mode...the trans has manual mode instead

Economy....Sports and manual

Was well worth the effort

Just the tacho to get sorted now ( next week maybe )

Looks good tho......it hits the rev limiter @ 9,500rpm

Should do a vid using my wireless microphone for exhuast sounds.....there was a guy on youtube that did that

Cheers

Glenn

Wireless microphone sounds interesting Glenn, how does Manual mode work? (Mine had the snow mode like you mentioned)

Are you going to sell the car after you get the tachometer sorted?

Manual mode was an option in some E36 325, 328 & 318 Auto Coupe's

Instead of *ice mode

In manual it uses 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears including lock up ( Jatco Trans )

It doesnt use first unless under extreme load and doesnt use 5th gear unless you hit the rev limit in 4th

Yes I will be selling the car.... once I start on the new project

The wireless mic works with the new Sony 80gig digi Cam Corder I bought...you can use it up to 30 meters away from the camera

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by *Glenn*

Who did the engine work? I'd love something like that in my 318ti...it might get used more then!!

Who did the engine work? I'd love something like that in my 318ti...it might get used more then!!

I did it all

and its done extreamly well at that! looks completly factory

Yes it does..the whole conversion has been done with all genuine factory parts, except the exhaust, pod filter, strut brace, H&R springs and Bilstein F&R shocks. Everything needed was BMW OEM. We even split the diagnostic systems. If you scan the vehicle, body systems, SRS & ABS come up as 318TI, DME & EGS come up as 328I with all the appropriate info & data.

I really enjoyed doing this....learnt alot too & still learning

On that note we had to take the medium case diff out again yesterday. It was touching the rear body chassis rail directly above the diff. We have pressed indents into this rail to give clearance for the diff breather and top housing bolts to stop the transferr of gear noise through the car. Should be sweet now.... thought the diff was nackered. We are also fitting new axle bearings too....just as a precaution. I'll pop a couple of pictures up later today

Cheers

Glenn

Top conversion. I especially like the finished/tidy engine bay, no loose wires etc.

Diff_mod.bmp

Diff_mod_2.bmp

Diff_mod_3.bmp

Diff_mod_4.bmp

We rushed this last Monday without doing the mods.....should not have done this

Never, ever assume and take your time......we are always learning

Anyway, its all done now (properly) and I'm pleased with the result

Picture 1 shows the indents you have to do to the chassis rail with a small ball pein hammer- takes a bit of time to get it neat and tidy.

Picture 3 shows were you have to grind off about 5mm from the forward, rear hangar mount bracket so that it doesnt touch the diff cassing

Picture 4 the end result.... no gear noise transfer and no vibration... spare wheel just clears the speed sensor when fitted.

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

who did your cert

I'll look up his name & phone number next week (its filed at work)...I'll post it in here

an did you require anything for this

The vehicle has to be inspected in a place where the vehicle can be raised and inspected. You will need to arrange this with the certifier. Mine was done at work

Every thing that has been done or changed must be done properly. It is documented and written on the cert plate which must be permanently attached to a chassis area with rivets...mines on the passengers "B" pillar. If you change things after the cert, you must re-cert it again.... to stay legal

Guys that get "pinked" have usually changed things after certing the car and think that because they have the cert they are legal... not so

Cheers

Glenn

When I originally did this conversion I was running the original 318TI small case 4.44:1 diff

I then went to a 3.91:1 small case.....I still wasnt happy

I have now done the medium case 3.64 and the gear changes were still not 100%

Bloody hell !!!!

I FORGOT !!! :wacko:

Cleared adaptive modes in DME @ EGS yesterday

She's all sweet now :P

I was so busy I forgot that my install has adaptive modes in the ECU's. They had adapted to the original diff ratio and were all up the sh*t.