Sign in to follow this  
aliluya

BMW Compact SE

What is people opinion on the new 2004 Compacts in Black?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure people know what is looks like.

Further opinions would be nice if you don't like it.

It's the M Sport version, scroll down the bottom for a picture.... ^_^

Edited by aliluya

Guest Spargo

it's okay i guess, but i would never buy one. They're the price of an E36 M3!

I'm talking in term of a new car perspective not comparing to a second hand car.

Other wise there would be many other solutions me olds would go for, for me.

Guest Speedye30

I see what you mean. I think the roof line lets it down.

All the same, the 6cyl version with more aggressive styling (bigger wheels too?) would be pretty nippy! Aren't the compacts cheaper than the sedans? No kids? No worries!

If what you are wanting is a small hatchback car, then they are a good car, I quite like them.

Your alternatives are things like a VW Golf and Audi A3, and I would have the BMW over the other two.

I also liked the E36 Compacts too (I know that I am in the minority here).

Cheers

I see what you mean. I think the roof line lets it down.

All the same, the 6cyl version with more aggressive styling (bigger wheels too?) would be pretty nippy! Aren't the compacts cheaper than the sedans? No kids? No worries!

No kids? Then go for the 3-series Coupe not the Compact!

Guest Speedye30

I would love to drive that m-sport version anytime. I hear the performance is good, seeing as they weigh (much) less than the sedans. Styling is fine!

When the budget started at $45000, the Sedan was out of the quesiton let alone the Coupe. I barely managed to squeezed the budget to just under $60,000 for the options that i wanted...

To get the options that i wanted in the sedan would be $80,000 + i think off the top of my head, i forgot.

Plus getting insurance for a 20 year old in a $80,000 car is expensive or near impossible ... !!!!! :(

Edited by aliluya

What about the new 1 series that's supposed to be in by the end of the year?

Otherwise you could get 2nd hand 325ti w/ < 10,0000 kms on the clock for less than $60k?

Personally I don't see the point in spending $60K+ on a "small" sized car.

You are really paying for just the badge!!

The only good thing I see with the compact is, It's rear wheel drive!!

Just comparing to other new cars, for $60-70K you can get a Evo 8, STI 7, dare I say it, XR6 Turbo, SS commonwhore etc...

Which is a whole lot me car for the same money.

What about a new corolla?? $45 for the GT version, 141kw, 6psd, still a "small" car.

But obviously they are performance based cars which may not appeal to you.

A normal corolla has a heatly 100kw, still more that a 318, and are around $35k, and easy to insure.

Don't mean to ditch BMW's but they aren't always the best car for the purpose.

just my 2c

Well the thing with the compact compared to the corolla's is the saftey features, and it's more solid of a car.

The other option was a mini Cooper S but it was ruled out as too impractical.

Turbo car ??? out of the question, no insurance (records not the best + under 21)

I've seen pictures of the 1-series, they look like a ford focus (well they may have been not finallised pictures).

Oh, i have a question, regard the compact don't know if you's know or not.

The SE comes with PDC so i'm just wondering if i go for the M Sports Package will i still have the PDC cause the entire bodykit is changed. And would i still have the 'Multi Function for sterring wheel with cruise control', because the steering wheel is also changed with the sports package.

Ill back glenn (E30-323ti) up on that one.

Compact a great little car but not for 60K personaly i only really like the ACS compacts . Do you have to get into a NEW car, for under 60k used you can get e46 328-330!!!!

Fair call on the safety features considering

(records not the best...

I'm sure corolla's come with some pretty decent safety features, I mean really, how many airbags do you need!!

You must be a bit crash-phobic willing to pay $20-30K over a corolla for 2-4 more airbags, I doubt it has enough power (318) to warrent the DSC+T, I know in the inlaws mini cooper you have to driving like a retard before the little light flashes.

another 2c

Are you talking about the M sport package that is coming on May '04 (in the BMW Mag)?

Not to hijack the thread ... shadowninja, I saw you driving pass the J'ville train station at about 1.15 pm today. I was in black Lexus GS300 (number plate SYW). If you saw me, what do you think of the Lexus???

Yeah that would have been me in Jville, heading off to a client meeting. I work in Jville actually. I don't remember seeing a black GS300 (and my eyes are normally open for hot cars). Very nice car though... the IS series would be more comparable to a BMW 3-series in terms of size/performance. Are you thinking of buying one?

318 the 3-series sport you refer to isn't a compact that I know of, its based on the 318iSE with the M-sport upgrade.

Oh and E30 323ti the new BMW 318s are all 105kW with the 2.0L engine, 200Nm of torque. :P

shadowninja, I was just going through Tory (I work 200m away from them), when the sales guy said "Would you like a test drive?". How could I refuse??

It has 54000 kms, '98 model, loaded for $40k which is expensive as I've seen comparable ones in Akl going for $35k. I don't know whether I want it or not though. Very, very nice ride, although I managed to chirp the wheel/VSC went off several times going through Khandallah, which I never managed in my s/w. Don't know why.

shadowninja, I was just going through Tory (I work 200m away from them), when the sales guy said "Would you like a test drive?". How could I refuse??

It has 54000 kms, '98 model, loaded for $40k which is expensive as I've seen comparable ones in Akl going for $35k. I don't know whether I want it or not though. Very, very nice ride, although I managed to chirp the wheel/VSC went off several times going through Khandallah, which I never managed in my s/w. Don't know why.

Yeah nice ride.

Chirping the VSC may have something to do with the fact that the GS300 has about 160-170kW instead of the 90-odd that you currently drive! The road surfaces can leave much to be desired through Khandallah, and with the suspension of the Lexus you probably wouldn't notice it much.

When we were shopping for this Beemer, we tested the IS200 Lexus, and it just seemed more sterile than the BMW. Although it had more power it wasn't as engaging to drive.

I checked out a few cars at the Team Euro yard by the motorway onramp, including a very nice RS4 (only $120k) :D No time for a test-drive, dang.

Guest Speedye30

Did you say RS4? Those are pretty amazing. I have been for a quick ride in one, emphasis on quick! This particular car is supplied by his company. Envy expected from everyone!

Chirping the VSC may have something to do with the fact that the GS300 has about 160-170kW instead of the 90-odd that you currently drive!

yeah I know, although I'd taken a E320 through there without too much drama.

seemed more sterile than the BMW. Although it had more power it wasn't as engaging to drive.

it sure is sterile and I bet a 5 er will be much better to drive. Equipment list blows away a standard 5 er.

I checked out a few cars at the Team Euro yard by the motorway onramp, including a very nice RS4 (only $120k)

Did Pat Connely recognise you there?

I once took a ride on the new S4 Avant of a real estate agent. Nice Recaros, very good stereo, very luxurious drool.

yeah I know, although I'd taken a E320 through there without too much drama.

Weird... whereabouts in Khandallah & I'll try it with my wheels. Tyres overinflated, suspension not calibrated... who knows? Mind you alot of the 'safety' functions on the late model mercs don't even tell you when they're operating.

Equipment list blows away a standard 5 er.

I haven't seen the spec lists side by side, but I'd believe it. The upper level Lexus models sure are decked out with impressive gear on paper. Have you seen the new colour digital camera screens for parking on the LS models?

Did Pat Connely recognise you there?

I didn't see him on the lot, but I did see Pip, another girl ex-Shelly BMW.

I once took a ride on the new S4 Avant...

I have only ridden an S3 (albeit around the track at Manfeild). Theres a '98 model S4 sedan up at that lot at the moment. In the older shape, still looks very fine.

Weird... whereabouts in Khandallah & I'll try it with my wheels

It's Onslow Rd going up from Old Hutt Rd. Excellent for a test drive, and chirping tyres. Slow down near the top as there are building sites and schools. And try not to get stuck behind slow traffic.

The upper level Lexus models sure are decked out with impressive gear on paper.

There's only one level offered for sale here in NZ, while BMW would have from 525 up to 540. I don't think GS430 is offered here? Colour digital camera, oh yeah ....

Here's what it looks like:

Posted Image

Edited by 318Touring