Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E36 Audio - Speakers

Hi,

Wanting to know exactly what size speakers will fit into an E36 sedan. Also, can anyone recommend some good mid price ones? Not wanting to do the whole sub and amp thing, just a nice set of speakers to complement a new head unit.

Thanks

Hi,

Wanting to know exactly what size speakers will fit into an E36 sedan. Also, can anyone recommend some good mid price ones? Not wanting to do the whole sub and amp thing, just a nice set of speakers to complement a new head unit.

Thanks

There are 2 x 5.25" speakers in the kickpanels, and 2 x 4" speakers in the rear parcel deck. If you only have 1 speaker in the door, that's the midrange. Don't bother replacing that if you're just going for just an improvement over stock that doesn't involve amps.

What's your budget? I think you can get a set of 5.25" co-axials from TradeMe or perhaps even shops for less than $100 and they'd be pretty good quality.

what car have you got? a coupe or a sedan??

in my coupe ive managed to squeeze in a 6.5' .. ive got 2 alpines at the back atm which i just bought this afternoon for 149 dollars.. they sounded mint in the show room.. but in my car it lacks the umph...

prob coz of my sh*t headdeck and no amp LOL>>. cant wait to hear them when i buy my amp or a new headdeck... something better than a sanyo headeck

what car have you got? a coupe or a sedan??

in my coupe ive managed to squeeze in a 6.5' .. ive got 2 alpines at the back atm which i just bought this afternoon for 149 dollars.. they sounded mint in the show room.. but in my car it lacks the umph...

prob coz of my sh*t headdeck and no amp LOL>>. cant wait to hear them when i buy my amp or a new headdeck... something better than a sanyo headeck

Docile, want to buy my Clarion + CD changer? :lol: What head deck are you using right now? The Clarion made a noticeable improvement over stock when I installed it. But if you have aftermarket, then it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. The aftermarket stuff just needs more power. Do you have 6.5"s in the kickpanels or the rears?

i still have the head deck that came with the car when i bought it. sayo LOL...

the 6.5' is in the parcel tray where the stock speakers used to fit into..

i still have the head deck that came with the car when i bought it. sayo LOL...

the 6.5' is in the parcel tray where the stock speakers used to fit into..

Sanyo? Haha :D

I wonder if they used some sort of adaptor to fit the 6.5"s. Because I'm quite sure they aren't the stock size (I have a sedan so there's just a slight chance coupes are different)?

this hole questions been done to death, and everytime someone asked there seems to be so many different answers, i put 6inch in the back of my coupe, replaced the 5.25s that were in there stock.

yep sanyo head deck hehe typo...

well i had to bend a few metals and drill a few holes to get it to fit.. had to go back and forth to the shop as the sales person was a dumb ass.. he gave me some info saying.. oh this will fit into the bmw.. i went home and tried it and the 2 way on top would now let my speaker cover clsoe properly.. i came back in and picked out myself one that had a low profile to it.. hence the alpines.. fits like a glove

Edited by Docile

ive managed to put a set of infinity 5.25" in the rear of my sedan and they sound mint i havent got my amp hooked up at the mo and the clarity is sorted and only 139.00 from parallel imported i went back and got another set for the front sounds wicked if your not after too much bass as in a box n amp then its worth a few thoughts !

hope this helps .

Anyone ever done 6.5s in the front?

Yep, you need to take out the factory speaker sound deadening which gives more than enough volume for a 6.5 they will give a lot more mid bass and run to lower frequencies than 5.25's. In my wife’s car I run the Sub crossover at 63 Hz which give a good up front sound image. I'm not able to do this in my car as the 5.5's bass roll off quite quickly so need to use 80 hz which does pull the sound image back a bit

You'll need to lightly knock back the metal edge of the existing holes a wee bit and the 6.5s will slip in.

Also check the panel that covers the underside of the Dash on each side as this can move down and sit against the top of the speaker rubber surround. You can either push it up a bit or trim about 10 -12 mill off it.

Surprisingly the factory covers still fit over the speakers without the speaker hitting them on bass excursions

.I'd check out front splits as this might not the same for all.

post-797-1186382973_thumb.jpg

post-797-1186383016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neal

im going to run a fusion tube sub with built in amp for a little bass in my car plus i need the space but need to upgrade my car speakers big time

can someone please settle this and recomend what i should put in i understand that 5.5 an 4.5 are not to common so can i go bigger? ?

i have a e36 coupe , im wanting to upgrade asap

what is the best option

cheers

Edited by PBOY

Also looking for a better frontal sound system and have ordered a dvd player and a screen for xmas.

Just need some decent fronts that I can amp to get a good sound.Will ditch the whorry 6x9s and just stick the factory bmw rears in just for fill if needbe.

Just bought some 6.5 inch Earthquake components.

Will be a fun sunday mission!

im going to run a fusion tube sub with built in amp for a little bass in my car plus i need the space but need to upgrade my car speakers big time

can someone please settle this and recomend what i should put in i understand that 5.5 an 4.5 are not to common so can i go bigger? ?

i have a e36 coupe , im wanting to upgrade asap

what is the best option

cheers

Pboy ,

I had a typo in my previous email , 5.25's will fit in the front without issues. The rear 4.5's are in a ported enclosure so I haven't done the maths to work out the rear enclosure volume / tuned frequency / Q factor and if a larger speaker will work in the enclosure .I suspect these are tuned in the 90 / 100 hz region which is a bit high for 5.25's and above.

I still run the 4.5 rear speaker as they are fine for rear fill and you don't run the problem of over running infinite baffle speakers sitting in the rear parcel street with the cones been overdriven with subs in boot. (The surrounds of the speaker cone will rip over time .... trust me)

I run the rears off the head unit and have the fader at the lowest level possible for the rears.

In terms of speakers check out this page from a different posting

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....15&start=15

Cheers

Neal

Dammit!

How hard will it be to get a 6.5 in the front then? spacers or something required?

I too was looking at some speakers for my mates E36...

RapidRadio was offereing Alpine TypeE for around 170+60 for fitting and TypeR for 220+60 for fitting...

hey neal for the fronts how bout this or is it to small? linked up to a amp or could i run these in the rear instead

its hard finding decent speakers that can handle , eg im in to drum an bass an heavy breaks not the easyist on speakers?

anyone have input

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=129938227

Funny that, you get what you pay for.

It is true...Rapid offered to fit Alpine TypeRs without a fuzz however at another audio shop, I wont say the name, their sales was dressed dirty, hanging a cig while talking to us, swore often and give inaccurate quote changing the prices 4 times...showed very that he was not very professional though said that he had 20K of audio "sh*t" in his car....right...after all his mumbo jumbo he told us (me and my mate) that he cant put the TypeRs into the E36 because the hole on the BMW is larger than that of the speakers...total time waster...

It is true...Rapid offered to fit Alpine TypeRs without a fuzz however at another audio shop, I wont say the name, their sales was dressed dirty, hanging a cig while talking to us, swore often and give inaccurate quote changing the prices 4 times...showed very that he was not very professional though said that he had 20K of audio "sh*t" in his car....right...after all his mumbo jumbo he told us (me and my mate) that he cant put the TypeRs into the E36 because the hole on the BMW is larger than that of the speakers...total time waster...

driving sound?

Rapid is pretty expensive, and Mark's a very good salesman.

I certainly wouldn't call Alpine Type E 'quality', I dislike them immensely, the tweeters are harsh and the mids aren't anything to write home about. $60 fitting sounds a bit steep but then I'm a diyer so I'm out of touch with fitting prices. The type R are OK but also have a listen to the Infinity speakers in that price range

Another outfit to try is PK in Penrose, they have a very good reputation.

Don't know what the E36 mounts are like but depth can be an issue for BMs. Certainly the E30 and E46 have depth issues, so it follows that the E36 should have some too.

20K is a sh!tload to have in a car, very few cars in NZ with that amount of gear. And it's easy to quote screaming retail prices rather than what the gear actually costs.