Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Alloy welding?

Guest Spargo

While at my mechanics yesterday, we went over my car with a magnet to confirm my car is actually what I say it is - doors are alloy, and the left guard is, so its had a whack on the right front at some point, both the right guard and bonnet are steel.

My question is, what sort of special tools to you need to weld alloy? One of my door seams has pulled away, and its letting water in. Should any competent bodyshop be able to handle this? (Don't you dare say precision, Josh - i'm paying for this repair out of my own pocket )

can use mig as well but a bit messy, as grant said shouldn't be too hard to find shop with tig welder.

When you say "door seams" do you mean on the inside of the door where the door skins wrap around the frame? If so that is not welded anyway, the flange of the skin is just bent around the frame then hammered down and covered with a sealant.

Guest Spargo

I mean up the front beside the front fenders - there is sealant pealing away, yes - car was broken into and there is now a noticeable gap between window and window seal.