Sign in to follow this  
Gangee

My Wheel Wobbles when i brake softly at high speeds

I own a 1990 535i ,My Wheel Wobbles when i brake softly at high speeds it is quite a violent wobble sometimes,

I had a mechanic look at it and they replaced the sway bar bushes, and he told me the brake disc's are almost brand new, does anyone have any ideas as to what else could cause a large wobble when braking softly at speeds over 80km/h if i brake hard it doesnt wobble.

Regards

Wobble wheel Sean

front brake rotors are worn. Generally if they're worn in the front - you'll feel the vibrations through the steering wheel and if they're worn in the back you'll feel it through the seat.

Thats generally how it works - despite being reasonably new they could be warped from getting to hot.

If its only when braking then i think that narrows it down a fair bit as to what it could be.

Cheers

Andy.

Edited by E30stz

Not sure on E34 front suspension but the cause of my wheel wobbles when braking was worn CAB's. Just something else for you to check.

Sorry Mike, what is CAB?

My Compact's steering wheel also wobbles when braking at about 80kph. Nothing at lower speed. Must be a very similar symptom as Gangee's.

My Rover's 216 had wrapped rotor, and the steering wheel wobbled when braking at any speed.

replace the trust arm bushes , could also be lower ball joints on same arm .

Control Arm Bushing, Compacts (E36) have similar front suspension to E30's so could be the problem if rotors aren't. My wobble became worse the harder I was braking.

Yeap check control arm bushes (CAB'S) but by the sounds of it you either need to get you front brake disc's machined or throw them away and buy some new one's mate cause the are warped

Cheers Guys,

I took it to page European in Welli and they are usually quite good, they said the disc looked near perfect, might just get it skimmed first to see if that helps,

It is a wobble in the wheel and it feels like there is heaps of movment in there, it causes the stearing wheel to move a lil bit.

Will let you know when ive sused it.

Thanks Again

G - Man

Edited by Gangee

Given that this thread was started 3 years ago, I'd hope the OP would have sorted this by now.

:rolleyes: