Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Em's buying an E30

I'm with Charlie Fox. In the long run you will be better having a driving/insurance record of your own. It hurts more initially, but if your next car is worth bigger bucks. It goes up proportionately.

I'm pretty sure I started off with 3rd party fire and theft. If you know you will lose your car if you are at fault. Maybe you'll be a bit more sensible in it (not suggesting you aren't Emma).

AA are pretty easy to deal with and offer good discounts in the long run if you are a member (and you'd be mad not to be). It also helps when you travel overseas and rent cars and want maps etc.

Good luck with the purchase.

Use a broker for insurance. Its a dream.

Who would have thought i could get insurance on an STI for $700 a year?

It varies hard out.

Tell them you occasionally use it for work, (if its true), and you can get commercial insurance which can be cheaper.

BTW, TTIUWP

3rd party fire and theft through AMI = always been the cheapest, and best option for me.

Building insurance history is always the go too....

On the money there Cam. get optional glass cover too $10 per year and install an alarm to watch you theft excess disappear.

insurance history and no claims bonus ftw

I got full insurance under my parents name as my dad as primary driver for about $550 a year.

However thinking I should update this...I mean really.

hope it all checks out Em,sounds like the sort of car you dream of finding(as far as oners go.I bet it checks out as sweet as.

I bet your first purchases will actually be car cleaning stuff!

Then read the manual from cover to cover,and start finding things out for your self!

Hi Em, if you want to put a rev counter in it, all the wiring's actually in place, you just need to get hold of another instrument cluster with a rev counter and fit it up, then get a sender from one of the spark plug leads and connect it to the main loom under the air intake. It's all very easy really.

3rd party fire and theft through AMI = always been the cheapest, and best option for me.

Building insurance history is always the go too....

AMI are good.

Get your own insurance. After only 3 years I'm on 50% no claims and pay only $140 PA 3rd party fire and theft for 19 year old with bmw on mags, lowered, stereo, tints etc. Also get free glass cover and no excess on theft cos of alarm. Plenty of places (State, AA) just laughed at me.

I initially got insurance through my parents broker and had that for a year or so and then switched to AMI. use the same company as yours olds and you will find it easier to get insurance/cheaper.

I agree with those praising AMI. My wife rolled her car a few years ago on the Desert Rd. The wof was 5 weeks overdue. We thought we'd be out of luck and mentally wrote off the $30k. However, they paid out in full without any fuss at all. I've had 3 windscreens for free in the past 4 years, too.

All that said, I've been driving since 1964 and never had an insurance claim, other than glass and that dog I hit this year, which cost AMI a massive $400 (my excess is $150). I have no idea what my insurance costs are per annum- its just money which goes out automatically.

Tell them you occasionally use it for work, (if its true), and you can get commercial insurance which can be cheaper.

BTW, TTIUWP

Urbandictionary FTW! I'll get picso n Sunday and post them up. I will be using it for work- Rolling up to school each day the driving to work afterwards.Does that count?

hope it all checks out Em,sounds like the sort of car you dream of finding(as far as oners go.I bet it checks out as sweet as.

I bet your first purchases will actually be car cleaning stuff!

Then read the manual from cover to cover,and start finding things out for your self!

I'm sure it will check out. Haha yeah it will be! But we've got all the dream stuff like Autoglym at work so i'll just do it all there.

Hi Em, if you want to put a rev counter in it, all the wiring's actually in place, you just need to get hold of another instrument cluster with a rev counter and fit it up, then get a sender from one of the spark plug leads and connect it to the main loom under the air intake. It's all very easy really.

That sounds cool, but a bit down the line yet.. haha.

I'm definitely going to go with AMI, but my parents are going to pay around half of the $660 each year, I think it would be good me only having to pay $330 with full insurance and getting my insurance rep built up...Rather than 3rd party..

I will be using it for work- Rolling up to school each day the driving to work afterwards.Does that count?

Sorry, no.

And dropping tyres and stuff off to other companies? But I'll be using company cars not my own car.

Gutted.

Sorry, no.

Actually yes it does.

Call a broker, they do everything, doesnt cost you and you'll get a good deal.

Actually yes it does.

Please explain how?? Insurance companies do not consider a vehicle you use to drive to and from school or work a commercial vehicle. That is just ridiculous.

That would be like claiming mileage to and from work against your tax when you are a wage earner lol.

Ok well I took this beastie for a spin today.Mint with a capital M.Drove well, very smooth and peppy when u need it to be.Absoulutely mint interior/exterior.I think I recall Lyndon said it was 1 lady owner and hes owned it for the past 6 years.Originally from Team Macmillan.

However hes not 100% if he wants to sell it (!!) but hes going to get back to me.

Hopfeully I can buy it because its absolutely purrrfect as a first car.Unfortunately I forgot to take pics lol.

I'll keep yas updated as things progress.

Please explain how?? Insurance companies do not consider a vehicle you use to drive to and from school or work a commercial vehicle. That is just ridiculous.

For sure!

That'd make everyone's car a commercial vehicle!

Guest Andrew

There's always Ruby Emma - i've love to drive her down south. Do it.. manual for the win.

Haha thanks Andy!

But yeah - he hasnt backed out of the sale hes just waiting around.Though I have to go into work tommorow so I'll ask him whats going on then.I hate when you're sorting out your own stuff with adults then your parents come along and take out the heavy artillery and you don't get a change to say anything!!!

That would be like claiming mileage to and from work against your tax when you are a wage earner lol.

Driving to and from work doesnt count, but if you use it to say, drop stuff off for work, it does.

If you are using if for work, and you crash, according to my broker you aren't covered. So even if it is very very occasionally it does get used for work, you can insure it as commercial.

I miss-read her use sorry.

Edited by m325i

Is it dependant on normal use?

For instance - there are 8765.76 hours in a year. I sometimes use my car to pick up work-related people from the airport. That amounts to maybe 10 hours per year. Can I claim 0.11% of my insurance as commercial? Is my car then uninsured for 0.11% of the time?

There is a difference between classifying your vehicle as a commercial vehicle and adding cover for commercial use to your personal vehicle cover.

You need to talk to your own insurance company to see whether you have the right cover. If they think you have lied about the use of your vehicle in order to access cheaper cover you may not be covered at all. The onus would be on you to prove the vehicle was a comemrcial vehicle.

There is no free ride in other words.

Jazz - most insurance policies will not cover your vehicle if it is being used for work purposes. I had this argument with my boss a few years back - I was using my vehicle regularly for work. My insurance company informed I was not covered for this. I inquired about the cost of cover and it was more expensive - not cheaper! So I asked my boss if I was covered under their policy. Of course I wasn't. I asked for more $$ to pay my insurance - he said it was all included in the current rate and it was up to me to organise insurance. I stopped using my vehicle for work that day. Silver lining was, my boss saw my point of view and ponied up for a company vehicle so now I don't even have to drive my own car to work, but thats a different story.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I was pushed to commercial insurance when i alked with my broker. Its not like i was trying to get a better deal like this, but just so happens it is a better deal, (for me anyway).

In summary, call a broker tell them your deets, and they will come back to you with prices. Accept or decline.