Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

Em's buying an E30

Guest Andrew

This is exactly what it looks like, colour and everything.Apart from steelies.

It's no ruby - do it.. you know you want to.

Thats it, I'm sick of f**king adults f**king me around.

Lyndon rang me today after a bit of a questioning yesterday at work. He has found a new car today, hes going to show it to his wife then pretty much the BMW is mine.So there we have his dili-dellying around solved.

But alas, a teenagers adult problems are never solved. As soon as this was solved, the parents started being pussys.

They ran up a few 2-peice shoddy used car dealers today to ask for opinions about E30's + daughters. Some quotes:

"Isn't worth than more than $1000"

"We wouldn't touch it with a barge pole"

"Parts are getting hard to source nowadays"

As if i value their opinion- when they really don't have a leg to stand on. They reccommend $3000 mid 90's Nissans and Toyotas, funny how they are "UNDER $10K Japanese car dealers" Makes sense.. and another quote, "We'll see you right"

If my parents didn't want this to happen from the start, they would've/should've put their foot down.No test drive, nop discussing with Lyndon, and certainly not letting him find a new car. My bank account containing $X,000 is under their trusteeship so now they've decided to pack a sad and go cold on it all. We are practically halfway through the sale (hes buying a new car ffs) and now MY PARENTS are f**king HIM around.I trust this guy, my Dad knows his Uncle and says that he is a good guy, and he wouldn't sell me a peice of sh1t because I work there and stuff.

This has been my dream since I was 13 to own an E30. I'm now just a shade under 16. I've been a member of this forum since 4th form - I'm now 6th form. So 2 years I think? Apparantly a while ago i was made Otago BS rep. Have just initiated (In conjunction with YBBLU) the BMWCC of NZ Otago/Southland chapter, Gerry Hodges and the BMWCC have approved, after I worte a letter and stuff. Can u guys see where this is going?

Not to mention that Lyndon is my boss and I'll lose credibility with him for f**king him around, especially (!!) if he buys a new car, only to find out his buyer has squeezed through the gap.

Goddammit is it stupidity me, 16, with a steady and good paying part time job with easy hookups (cheap parts, cost servicing etc) + money in the bank to spare in case thigns go wrong, getting an E30?

The olds moan about taking me places (I walk to school, walk home, walk to mates places, just occasional ride out the bay to see another mate) so I thought well to solve that problem I'll become more self-reliant and independant, since im growing up and sh*t and buy a car.. Talk about contradiction.

Help appreciated guys, I'm pretty much at the end of my road.

Em

Edited by BMW POWER

Your parents are aware of everything? You've talked it through with them? Shown them the forums?

Show them the megameet thread with sparle with a twisty up his arse.

Sure they'll reconsider.

They ran up a few 2-peice shoddy used car dealers today to ask for opinions about E30's + daughters. Some quotes:

"Isn't worth than more than $1000"

"We wouldn't touch it with a barge pole"

"Parts are getting hard to source nowadays"

As if i value their opinion- when they really don't have a leg to stand on. They reccommend $3000 mid 90's Nissans and Toyotas, funny how they are "UNDER $10K Japanese car dealers" Makes sense.. and another quote, "We'll see you right"

Hey Emma, Being an ex car-dealer [the only honest one,mind you! Haha!] I'm very much aware of what they have pulled on your parents.

Firstly their business is SELLING cars, they probably didn't have an E30 to sell [so they'll rubbish them]

It's easy to put a low value on an opinion [$1000 on a car they haven't seen]

Dealers need to move volume,that why most sell jappa's [E30's are now an enthusiasts car]

What they are doing is "loading the seeds of doubt" into your parents minds, their motive is not THE CONCERN OVER YOUR WELLBEING, they are trying to sway your parents [however subtle] into buying something they have.

They reccommend $3k on a Jappa ,then you spend triple that personalizing it afterwards, to be satisfied with it.[that's $$$ down the drain]

Personally, If I had a son/daughter that wanted an 'oddball' car, but was enthusiastic enough to be passionate about it, I'd back them all the way [the word oddball is used here as an example]

Hey if it wasn't for my love of cars & racing,I would have ended up in jail years ago!

Don't get angry with your parents, they are trying to do the best for you [unfortunately they have gotten advice from people who are only interested in themselves]

Show your parents this, if you want to

I sort of know what you're on about, my parents have never seen my interest in spending money and getting into racing. I have no idea how many times Ive had arguments with my parents when I was slightly younger, on a subject that I've always been more clued up on. I think your parents are the same. A car as reliable transport. Not a hobby. Get them to ring me if you like, I'm an ex car salesman :P

Rofls at the drunken mishaps of yester-year living on. Once again, people that werent even there. Hah.

I geuss i was pretty lucky with my Dad, he found the 1987 318i for me on trademe rang the lady who owned it then took us down to hamilton (from whangarei) to have a look at it, then paid for all of it (I paid him back half as i got the money) and we drove it home :) and he didn't even know anything about BMWs at all (he drives a ford).

Edited by Mikal

Hey Em,

Sorry to hear your parents are being the teenagers in your relationship. Best thing to do is find some before and after pic's of jappas and beemers that have had heavy impacts, think that it might help your parents realise just which vehicle will be the better one for the health and safety of their daughter !! Ask them to do some pricing of spares for these so called affordable jappas also, might bring a tear to the eye and the wallet, they need to be careful of the false economy some jappas can bring.

Also point out who would be the better to buy from, an individual known to you with a vehicle that stands on its own merits and has the ability to retain its value if well kept, or buying through a questionable outfit that offers "Bargain Buys" and has no ability to offer you history or knowledge of the vehicle you are purchasing.

Time for Mum & Dad to put that wisdom of age to work, the answer seems pretty simple...

On top of that there is the not so small matter of supporting and encouraging your kids to follow their passions and acheive their dreams, fair to say you must be one of the most proactive and positive members down this way.

Hope you can win them over, you deserve to be able to be bemmin in your bemmer.

Good Luck with it matey.

Hey Mate

You are completely right, I'll print that out and add it to my "Folder of Evidence" to show them the positives of buying this vehicle.

Are the man from Invercargill that drives a dark blue M5 and quite often has a trailer towed behind it?I've seen you around a bit in the past year or so, but I guess you'd never click when a girl in a school uniform waves u down!

Thanks, My parents have passed the stage of whether I buy it or not, The hurdle now is just down to price and negotiation - Which I can handle. :)

Em.

Emma.Is it the "Old BMW" or are are they actually gainst you having a car at all at the Mo?.In purely monetary terms a 3000 k Nissan or Toyota will be better,but that doesnt take into account your knowledge enthusiasm and the fact that you have access to a workshop,and i would say some goodwill from the previous owner!

Thanks, My parents have passed the stage of whether I buy it or not, The hurdle now is just down to price and negotiation - Which I can handle. :)

Em, I would suggest the following negotiated price approach, different words but same body language...

If my bf did something to my car (when i get the f**ken thing) i would slice his throat

he may just hand you the keys and flee..!!! :lol:

Will

If your parents want a safe slow car. You can't go passed a Fiat X1/9. If you can find one in good condition.

Get the 1500 5 speed. It was an incredibly safe vehicle.

And IMO a good looking car too.

Em, I would suggest the following negotiated price approach, different words but same body language...

he may just hand you the keys and flee..!!! :lol:

Will

Hahah, It won't be the throat I'm aiming for if it gets to that stage :P (LOL)

(Big jokes fellas...I am actually completely harmless)

If your parents want a safe slow car. You can't go passed a Fiat X1/9. If you can find one in good condition.

Get the 1500 5 speed. It was an incredibly safe vehicle.

And IMO a good looking car too.

Cain,

Its either an E30, or a Jappa like a Co-Rolla/Levin/Sunny

No other Euros. Struggling uphill for this one even!

"Are the man from Invercargill that drives a dark blue M5 and quite often has a trailer towed behind it?I've seen you around a bit in the past year or so, but I guess you'd never click when a girl in a school uniform waves u down!"

Hey Em,

No I'm not, just moved down to ChCh recently, have m5 so the guy you speak of has great taste no doubt. But may get into hubble and bubble with my girlfriend if I stopped for girls in school uniforms !!

Pleased to hear you have won the hardest part of the battle, good for you !!

Will be posting pics of my old rides soon, have a few pics of my M5 but need to load them from my camera, bit of a sucker for old e23's so can appreciate your wanting a bemmer of that era.

Look forward to seeing pics of your new ride up soon.

Edited by oldskool

Hah yeah imagine that :P If u r ever in Dunners though give us a yell...

UPDATE

My parents have now officially agreed that I'm allowed to buy it - One 2 conditions:

a) BMW Inspection is mint. Though I have to mention there is no rivalry between our company (Merc) and BMW, So its a neutral inspection

B) The price is right - Lyndon said $3250 today but I'm sure we can work him down. And I babysit his young boy, so I could say $x,xxx amount of dollars and i babysit his boy X amount of times for free.

So by the end of this week or next I could be posting pics of my new E30 :)

Cheers for all of your help guys I better buy a box of Speights and send it around the country 2 u guys haha

Cheers for all of your help guys I better buy a box of Speights and send it around the country 2 u guys haha

....good on ya mate.....

So by the end of this week or next I could be posting pics of my new E30 :)

Better still: How about letting us all crash-out in your folks lounge, and help ourselves to their fridge during the "southern festival of speed"

Glad its working out for you Em.

Don't be too hard on your folks, they're just being normal, protective parents. As parents, all we want for our kids is the best. Daughters are even more precious cargo for Dads. However, we each have to make our own paths in life and live with our decisions, good or bad. Hopefully, your parents are going to let you do just that, but remember, they'll love you forever and once you prove you can do it properly, they'll be backing you up every step of the way, I'm sure.

Consider this: If you didn't know what you do about the car, would you really consider an old European car at all? I know I wouldn't. Every mag you (and your parents, probably) ever read says - Avoid Like The Plague - bankruptcy looming etc. They all say - buy a Toyota. They may well be right - a Toyota is normally a reliable car, but OMG, like most Asian cars, they are so unutterably boring!! Your E30 is, as stated above, now an enthusiast's car and is therefore a different kettle of fish to any old Japanese car.

I'm glad you stuck to your guns, I respect that.

From everything you've said, your new car should be a reliable, mint condition car, which I'm sure you'll treat well. NEVER allow a boyfriend to drive it. Young males and cars are the worst possible combination imaginable. They all 'know' they're great drivers (still laughing) and they all 'know' that the only way to drive a BMW is foot flat to the floor at all time. After all, if they wreck it, its not their problem - its yours. If you insure it so only you (and your parents) are the listed drivers, you'll have a perfect excuse to keep testosterone and your car parted.

Have a great new year and welcome to the slippery slope of car ownership!

Rog

Glad its working out for you Em.

Don't be too hard on your folks, they're just being normal, protective parents. As parents, all we want for our kids is the best. Daughters are even more precious cargo for Dads. However, we each have to make our own paths in life and live with our decisions, good or bad. Hopefully, your parents are going to let you do just that, but remember, they'll love you forever and once you prove you can do it properly, they'll be backing you up every step of the way, I'm sure.

Consider this: If you didn't know what you do about the car, would you really consider an old European car at all? I know I wouldn't. Every mag you (and your parents, probably) ever read says - Avoid Like The Plague - bankruptcy looming etc. They all say - buy a Toyota. They may well be right - a Toyota is normally a reliable car, but OMG, like most Asian cars, they are so unutterably boring!! Your E30 is, as stated above, now an enthusiast's car and is therefore a different kettle of fish to any old Japanese car.

I'm glad you stuck to your guns, I respect that.

From everything you've said, your new car should be a reliable, mint condition car, which I'm sure you'll treat well. NEVER allow a boyfriend to drive it. Young males and cars are the worst possible combination imaginable. They all 'know' they're great drivers (still laughing) and they all 'know' that the only way to drive a BMW is foot flat to the floor at all time. After all, if they wreck it, its not their problem - its yours. If you insure it so only you (and your parents) are the listed drivers, you'll have a perfect excuse to keep testosterone and your car parted.

Have a great new year and welcome to the slippery slope of car ownership!

Rog

Very well put, and I fully agree.

Good luck Emma, It very much sounds an great little car, and can't wait to see any pics.

Cheers

Grant

Jazzbass

...Young males and cars are the worst possible combination imaginable. They all 'know' they're great drivers (still laughing) and they all 'know' that the only way to drive a BMW is foot flat to the floor at all time...

The only reason I drive foot flat on the floor at all time is because i drive an E30 318i, so having my foot flat down is probably the equivalent of a 325i just touching the accelerator. :rolleyes: I'm not a boy racer I just like trying to get to 100 as quick as the little 1.8l can get there. :P