Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

FUEL PUMP

MY DILEMA = feul pump relays goes, 3 more go, dodgy wiring bypass keeps me mobile for now, pump is noisy, done circuit tests and diagnose problem = the feul pump RELAY. i'm back to square one, is my feul pump dying? i'm convinced that it is, unless there could be an electrical prob?

Q'S

what does removing and refitting e30 feul pumps involve?

can i use a different feul pump, ie one from a nissan fairlady z, good for 450hp.

if so how would it effect, injectors, relay, anything else?

help me

Guest Andrew

Dude - I can't scan in all the stuff related to the fuel pump. Your going to have to read it. There is heaps.

Yes you can use a different pump ,dont know about a Z one,are they external??

Maybe VL commodore .Get your tank as empty as you can before the swap ,it makes the whole thing a lot less mess.So long as the pump fits & flows enough volume for your engine( ie not one from a 660cc Honda Beat) nothing else is really effected.How much current is your existing pump pulling??Have you pulled apart a dead relay? Is the coil burned out or are the contacts burned?

Guest Speedye30

Yeah, i agree with Andrew

this is a big enough job for you to think about getting a decent manual!

I have the Bentley manual, which is excellent (~$180) sounds dear but in reality this is the best $180 i spent on my car (apart from the $400 head unit amp and sub deal... lol).

The Haynes manual could be good too and cheaper.

The Bentley manual enables easy step by step diagnosis of pretty much any problem that can happen to an e30. Then it gives a step by step of how to change the offending part(s). Wicked!

Edited by Speedye30

go the bentleys.....ive used both and its the better of the two....ive got the haynes on cd if you want....;). or otherwise just start unbolting things. worked for the subframe.

Guest Speedye30

otherwise just start unbolting things

*shudders*

How do we learn? By f*cking up! (making mistakes whatever) I would rather not use my car as an experiment every time summink goes pear-shaped.

there are two fuel in the e30.

one the in tank pump which supplies the fuel pump fuel.

and the fuel pump itself which suppyies the engine the fuel needed to run.(no sh*t)

i have been told the factory pump can supply up to 100psi. but i havnt got anything on paper so who knows.

try posting your problem on the BEN site and see what you come up with????

*shudders*

How do we learn? By f*cking up! (making mistakes whatever) I would rather not use my car as an experiment every time summink goes pear-shaped.

but its so much fun!

there are two fuel in the e30.

one the in tank pump which supplies the fuel pump fuel.

and the fuel pump itself which suppyies the engine the fuel needed to run.(no sh*t)

i have been told the factory pump can supply up to 100psi. but i havnt got anything on paper so who knows.

try posting your problem on the BEN site and see what you come up with????

Not in every e30 there isnt .Usually Pre facelift cars only have a second pump if they are fitted with long range tanks (Australian market etc)

every car is different. i didnt know that.

andy.........what gmccormack said. your car must have some aussie in it as your tank takes 100L of happy juice.

Guest Andrew

andy.........what gmccormack said. your car must have some aussie in it as your tank takes 100L of happy juice.

On L-Jet cars - an electric transfer pump supplies fuel at low pressure to the main fuel pump. The transfer pump is mounted in the fuel tank along with the fuel gauge sending unit. The main fuel pump delievers fuel at high pressure and is mounted beneath the car near the drivers side rear tyre.

On L-Jet cars - an electric transfer pump supplies fuel at low pressure to the main fuel pump. The transfer pump is mounted in the fuel tank along with the fuel gauge sending unit. The main fuel pump delievers fuel at high pressure and is mounted beneath the car near the drivers side rear tyre.
Ive had 3 gas tanks apart, 1 was a 84 L-jet, 1 was a 86 motronic & 1 was a 88 motronic but none of them have an internal pump, only one external pump on the passenger side

Guest Andrew

Ive had 3 gas tanks apart, 1 was a 84 L-jet, 1 was a 86 motronic & 1 was a 88 motronic but none of them have an internal pump, only one external pump on the passenger side
the 318 (87 L-Jet) definately has the internal pump - weerd!

Haven't checked the (84) 320.

i put in the one you gave me that day and it worked fine but was f**kin noisy so i opted to grab one that was still submersed for 50 bucks still a bit noisy but ernst assured me it was sweet so i put in a new relay, and advanced the timing another 3 degrees (it pre ignites only when laboured) but my carbon levels where at 700 output so got that down to 170 and adjusted the idle speed valve.

a few days laterthe relay stops working, its working agin now so i assume it was a f**king electrical problem all along (resisted cable is resisting too much) or the feul pump is poked ( i doubt it)

so now i neeed to get a new vacumn valve the big brass thing next to the throttle do you have one graeme?, mines a bit leaky. and i'm on the search for some av gas or race gas to help blast that carbon out.

Guest Andrew

i put in the one you gave me that day and it worked fine but was f**kin noisy so i opted to grab one that was still submersed for 50 bucks still a bit noisy but ernst assured me it was sweet so i put in a new relay, and advanced the timing another 3 degrees (it pre ignites only when laboured) but my carbon levels where at 700 output so got that down to 170 and adjusted the idle speed valve.

a few days laterthe relay stops working, its working agin now so i assume it was a f**king electrical problem all along (resisted cable is resisting too much) or the feul pump is poked ( i doubt it)

so now i neeed to get a new vacumn valve the big brass thing next to the throttle do you have one graeme?, mines a bit leaky. and i'm on the search for some av gas or race gas to help blast that carbon out.

Ollie - you don't need that big brass thing. All it does is open the throttle body as it comes under vacuum (as in when starting the car).

As for the knocking - hit some 98 gas in there - go find a nice long hill.. whack it in 5th and floor it as your going up the hill - try keep it around 3000 for 5 mins (you need a really long hil) at full throttle. That will blast the crap out of it.

Alternatively take it on the dyno - Gavin can simulate a load on the car and do the same thing.