Guest Andrew

The Bimmersport Dyno Thread

Can you please be a bit more specific :)?

Very impressed with hp + 1/4 mile times you are getting.

I'm looking to ad a bit more punch to my 3.0 also.

high flow cats, front resonator replaced with X pipe, home made rear muffler, 8.5 Lb UUC stage 2 alloy flywheel and M5 clutch, Alpha N chips, carbon plenum

dont listen brent,get it re-mapped to rev the nuts off it.its the only way you be able to keep up

lol. anyone know hop\w much the m88 weighs? guessing its quite a bit more than a m54b30?

Posted Image

Nothing impressive. Bone stock m60b40 through an auto. Just thought I'd throw this up for a comparison since I had the dyno chart handy.

In fake numbers it is:

158KW

300NM

How many k's has your car done?

~157,000 K's. It's still the original nikasil shortblock too. I did a leakdown test when I bought the thing. Highest leaking cylinder was 3% :) Not bad for a $2,000 USD car.

Did you guys have the nikasil/sulphur problem over there?

~157,000 K's. It's still the original nikasil shortblock too. I did a leakdown test when I bought the thing. Highest leaking cylinder was 3% :) Not bad for a $2,000 USD car.

Did you guys have the nikasil/sulphur problem over there?

To my knowledge the sulphur problem was quite minimal due to our fuel not having that high a sulphur content as over in the states. Some e34 guru's might chime in about this, I don't know a lot about it.

Isn't 300nm a little low?

Posted Image

Nothing impressive. Bone stock m60b40 through an auto. Just thought I'd throw this up for a comparison since I had the dyno chart handy.

In fake numbers it is:

158KW

300NM

Thats a TOP result running an auto.................this is my dyno chart.post-1048-1224477391_thumb.jpg

Stock 4ltr V8 Vs 3.4ltr M30( custom fuel/timing map) ......20kw+ @ wheels.

OK finally got its first dyno tune:

On 4.5PSI spring (peak 6psi boost) - 190.37kW

Maximum torque 979ft/lbs at 3200 rpm in 2nd, 358 ft/lbs in 4th

post-168-1224634733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damo

OK finally got its first dyno tune:

On 4.5PSI spring (peak 6psi boost) - 190.37kW

Maximum torque 979ft/lbs at 3200 rpm in 2nd, 358 ft/lbs in 4th

The same as the 318iS on 20 psi hah. Badass.

I assume thats rear wheel HP, do you make your own ECU or did you just buy something.

Be pretty interesting how far you take the power output, i still like the Alpina B10 twin turbo with approx 360hp @ flywheel.How is driveability etc?

I assume thats rear wheel HP, do you make your own ECU or did you just buy something.

Be pretty interesting how far you take the power output, i still like the Alpina B10 twin turbo with approx 360hp @ flywheel.How is driveability etc?

Yes rear wheel HP as per dyno sheet, and with my own ECU hardware, so it was as much a test of that as it is of the motor!

What is my approximate flywheel HP anyone know a good conversion for the bmw/m30 setup?

Your losses with manual gearbox/drivetrain approx 18%, could be slightly more but you have to be realistic.

Be good to see your setup, the tuning is the hard part, takes TIME to do it properly.

300+HP@ flywheel or take the engine out and put it on a bench dyno.

Edited by mr E34

What is my approximate flywheel HP anyone know a good conversion for the bmw/m30 setup?

Apparently Dyno Dynamics is on the conservative side so maybe a little more than the 18% mentioned above.

250hp is badass especially given its only on 6psi. As previously mentioned my 2002 M10 made 102hp on the same dyno, and was a factory "130hp" engine (in good condition and pretty low km).

Apparently Dyno Dynamics is on the conservative side so maybe a little more than the 18% mentioned above.

250hp is badass especially given its only on 6psi. As previously mentioned my 2002 M10 made 102hp on the same dyno, and was a factory "130hp" engine (in good condition and pretty low km).

Factory HP is the best engine selected with little or no ancilliaries, real world is nowhere close unless you strike a brilliant engine.

Factory HP is the best engine selected with little or no ancilliaries, real world is nowhere close unless you strike a brilliant engine.

I agree - hence the quote marks.

And remembering my engine hp figure is from the '70s, when they had more elastic methods of measuring HP.

Mind you, I run a full suite of anciliaries - an alternator (haha). I do have a water pump but no fan.

both my e28 with m5 engine and e36 3L m3 do about 160kw at gavins place . also similer results with e34 540i .

all rated at the factoy with 286 hp at the fly wheel

both my e28 with m5 engine and e36 3L m3 do about 160kw at gavins place . also similer results with e34 540i .

all rated at the factoy with 286 hp at the fly wheel

That shows how the factory figures are the best possible, those pwr figures don't come close Brent..........................160kw x 1.34 =214 hp + 18% (manual)=252hp or + 25%= 267 hp or +30% =278 hp, the losses are nowhere near that so the factory figures are theoretical when you select the best possible blueprinted new engine.

E46 M3...250hp @ wheels, where did the other 90+ HP go??

That shows how the factory figures are the best possible, those pwr figures don't come close Brent..........................160kw x 1.34 =214 hp + 18% (manual)=252hp or + 25%= 267 hp or +30% =278 hp, the losses are nowhere near that so the factory figures are theoretical when you select the best possible blueprinted new engine.

E46 M3...250hp @ wheels, where did the other 90+ HP go??

Well not wanting to appear a maths geek...

... but an 18% **loss** would see you dividing the 214hp by either 0.82 (for 18%) or 0.75 (for 25%).

In which case 25% would be spot on for Brent's cars.

Edited by CamB

Well not wanting to appear a maths geek...

... but an 18% **loss** would see you dividing the 214hp by either 0.82 (for 18%) or 0.75 (for 25%).

In which case 25% would be spot on for Brent's cars.

I just took the pwr figure & added + 20% on the calculator, your way is prob more accurate, it still doesn't stack up though.....to say you have 25% loss on a manual 214hp car isn't right......say you measure 300hp @ wheels, divide by .75 gives 400hp@ flywheel, take same car with 250hp@ wheels divide by .75=333hp@ flywheel, 400hp car looses 100hp drivetrain, 333 hp car looses 83hp drivetrain.

The same as the 318iS on 20 psi hah. Badass.

Dont think I am brave enough to twist the whistle knob up to 20 :)

Originally we thought it was overboosting to 10~11 but that was because the wastegate pressure feed melted and we never actually checked top boost after that. So I know it can take at least that much so will go and have a bash at the track then try the bigger PSI wastegate spring and put it back on the dyno.

Threw mine up there.

134kw in current tune. New tune at Hi velocity on 18 May. Will post new sheets and numbers then. Praying for 150kw, but dunno.

Once I've done it I might make up a new table that includes torque and revs as the beauty of setups like say mine and Riley's is the torque.

Thats a quick M3 thats for sure, its interesting that your trap speed at the end of the 1/4 is slower than mine by 3mph but your total time is faster, I really need to sort my traction issues out lol. I need your drag radials!!

What were you racing? Their trap speed was higher than yours, but they ran a 16.1!!!