Guest Andrew

The Bimmersport Dyno Thread

The only way to compare approx power between cars is the use of the same dyno on the same day with the same operator.

I totally agree

trap speed and known vehicle weight (including driver) are fairest comparison...

Weighed mine today, 1250kg with full interior and full LARGE sound system. Not bad, im sure it was 1260kgs before with the m20 and less of the kit

f**k that's light! Must pull with the new motor in it!

f**k that's light! Must pull with the new motor in it!

Sure does, puts a smile on my dial thats for sure. Thats no where near as light as it could be though if i striped it a bit.

Alot of e30s are running around with only 1050kgs so still plenty there

marty's (topcat) 86 e28 M535i Turbo .

280Kw at the wheels

post-279-1208118489_thumb.jpg

Had my stock 325i Dynoed for fun yesterday at ST HiTech.

ST uses a Dynapack Hub Dyno. It is also knowen to read quite a bit lower than rolling dyno's. No correction figures are used.

Also ignor the name at the bottom of the sheet. That was the car that ran before me. To work out the cars tourqe output just divide the peak tourqe by the final drive ratio.

Car specs

Stock 1985 325i Manual

Exhaust has been changed but not for power

300,000kms all original

Also as a comparison this car had more tourqe and a better power curve than a stock Nissan S14 with an SR20DET.

Posted Image

Posted Image

102kw, that's pretty decent isn't it? (bare with me, I don't know the figures etc too well)

Hub dyno reads 7-8kw MORE than roller, those figures are probably about right for a stock engine done those k's.

Torque, you are right, just divide by diff ratio & add 15% for approx flywheel.(seems to work out too high for 2.5ltr??)

If you want alot of dyno figures go to Alpina Australia and check out their dyno runs on a wide variety of BMW's.

Edited by mr E34

Hub dyno reads 7-8kw MORE than roller,

Not the ones I have seen. Infact we have tested a few Dyno's now. The highest reading one was Tourqe Performance who were using a Rolling Dyno. It was reading about 15rwkw more. Another Dynapack from Speedsource is also reading 15rwkw more that the ST one.

This is all done with the Silvia club. ST Hitech, Tourqe Performance and Speedsource are the clubs main tuners. Been plenty of arguments about it. But one fact we have found with various rolling dynos is that they all read a little higher. As they use correction values.

Not the ones I have seen. Infact we have tested a few Dyno's now. The highest reading one was Tourqe Performance who were using a Rolling Dyno. It was reading about 15rwkw more. Another Dynapack from Speedsource is also reading 15rwkw more that the ST one.

This is all done with the Silvia club. ST Hitech, Tourqe Performance and Speedsource are the clubs main tuners. Been plenty of arguments about it. But one fact we have found with various rolling dynos is that they all read a little higher. As they use correction values.

Could be a home made dyno there.

No argument, a know fact, dyna pack hub dyno read higher, no wheels driving roller! Roller dyno by dyno dynamics have wheels driving rollers, needs power, reads lower.They make bench engine dyno's as well, pretty good.

My car had 136.1kw on dynapack, switched to dyno dynamics roller gave 128.5kw (old tune, new tune 137kw on roller)

Google hub dyno vs roller dyno if you don't believe me..

Edited by mr E34

Personally i think the numbers are always going to differ,

one degree C outside temp makes a quite a difference to final output KW/HP

then there altitude,moisture/humidity.

years ago had a my nissan firelady dyno'd twice in one day.morning/evening,25hp difference.

my turbo setup I just sold was 'tuned' at speedsource,i say' tuned',cause it could have run a whole lot better if he had spent just

alittle more time on getting the numbers right,rather then getting me out as fast as possible.

ideally, a closed enviroment, with constant temp etc.and a dyno that is mantained to 100%

as all moving parts wear-out eventually

Edited by topcat

Easy, come to the Bimmersport dyno day and re run it!

These dyno thread posts are really pointless as a dyno is just a tuning tool and as said there is so much variation between dynos that it makes it hard to compare. I have personally seen a difference of 20kw between some Auckland’s optimistic dynos (we all know the ones) and some of the more accurate ones.

Seriously though people do come along to our club day! Its only $60.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry176962

PS: What the hell have you done to your Toyota V8 Riley?? they only put out 180kw at the fly standard!! You are saying yours is 250kw at the Fly!! A mate of mine has one and I would love to pass on some advise.

Easy, come to the Bimmersport dyno day and re run it!

These dyno thread posts are really pointless as a dyno is just a tuning tool and as said there is so much variation between dynos that it makes it hard to compare. I have personally seen a difference of 20kw between some Auckland’s optimistic dynos (we all know the ones) and some of the more accurate ones.

Seriously though people do come along to our club day! Its only $60.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry176962

PS: What the hell have you done to your Toyota V8 Riley?? they only put out 180kw at the fly standard!! You are saying yours is 250kw at the Fly!! A mate of mine has one and I would love to pass on some advise.

Its a black top 1uz Post 96 1uzfe,they have higher compression,more aggresive cams,lighter pistons,better flowing headers,alloy fuel rail,better injectors,better cooling block,etc.

Ive added tuned wraped extractors,zorst,intake and airbox,98 octain,t/c delete,a/c delete,2x pulley delete

Its a black top 1uz Post 96 1uzfe,they have higher compression,more aggresive cams,lighter pistons,better flowing headers,alloy fuel rail,better injectors,better cooling block,etc.

Ive added tuned wraped extractors,zorst,intake and airbox,98 octain,t/c delete,a/c delete,2x pulley delete

Cool, will let him know as his is only 156KW ATW with extractors, intake, no accessories, running a standalone and 98.

Your gains are quite phenomenal.

From Wiki.

The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter conrods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195 kW (261 hp)

195kw to 250kw!

Yeah I will come along to the Bimmersport day to compare. If I still have my 180 I can run that at the end of the day for even more comparrison.

i was pleased to find out the other day .

i know a guy who has a 99 e39 540i 4.4L v8 70,000km , he ran it on hi-velocity's roller dyno , cam up with 158kw at the wheels .

which is the same reading on got with my 86 M535i with the m5 6cyl M88 motor in it . car has done 500,000km engine about 250,000km ,

i thought it might have been down on hp .

but looks to be about right .

both engine are factory rated at 286hp at the flywheel .

mines manual the e39 was an auto .

most likely the v8 had a lot more torque than my m5 engine .

gavin reckons the later e36 m3 3.2l get about 180kw at the wheels .

his own e30 318i with a pretty wild M30 gets 180kw a the wheel . 12.5cr pistons 304 cam and lots of head work with blue printed engine block etc .

pics of before and after tunning with my car after a bit of fiddling with air fuel ratios etc .

and i have since added a clod air box and have noticed a increase of troque especially in the cold mornings

second lot of pictures is the air fuel ratio's .

next up is to get the ecu retunned with ahigher rev limit and maybe swap the afm with newer one or swap it out for a map or hot wire sensor system .etc

post-279-1212971683_thumb.jpg

post-279-1212971782_thumb.jpg

post-279-1212971836_thumb.jpg

post-279-1212971918_thumb.jpg

Cool, will let him know as his is only 156KW ATW with extractors, intake, no accessories, running a standalone and 98.

Your gains are quite phenomenal.

From Wiki.

The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter conrods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195 kW (261 hp)

195kw to 250kw!

Tell me about it! I was as supries as you when i found out it was at the wheels. I was lucky to get this engine

Also alot of people in the know say the early pre 95 1uzfes power rating was over rated. Factory they say 250hp when in fact they are more like 225hp.

No point in raising the rev limit Brent, you are well past pk power and it prematurely damages the M engines.

I might be in the running for the lowest power, don't know 1/4 mile times - drag racing is for people who can't turn corners

Engine is stock 2L M10 with E30 318 fuel injection & Link (Go faster bits on order)

It's now better but not as much as I'd hoped for when I build the engine.

Engine spec is M10, 10:1 JE pistons, 304° Cam, E30 325 throttle body (58mm) o\n E30 318 inlet manifold. 250cc injectors, Link ECU

post-235-1218158999_thumb.jpg

It's now better but not as much as I'd hoped for when I build the engine.

Engine spec is M10, 10:1 JE pistons, 304° Cam, E30 325 throttle body (58mm) o\n E30 318 inlet manifold. 250cc injectors, Link ECU

I don't have the printout scanned, but mine has 102hp at the wheels - stock 9.5:1 c/r tii with a noisy exhaust, on the Gavin's Dyno Dynamics.

A couple of questions:

- Do you know what the tcf means?

- Why did it only get revved to 5800? 304 should make power to more like 6200-6300?

Coz I agree - based on your before and after, I would have thought you'd be up for another maybe 10hp more?

Edited by CamB

No point in raising the rev limit Brent, you are well past pk power and it prematurely damages the M engines.

dont listen brent,get it re-mapped to rev the nuts off it.its the only way you be able to keep up

I don't have the printout scanned, but mine has 102hp at the wheels - stock 9.5:1 c/r tii with a noisy exhaust, on the Gavin's Dyno Dynamics.

A couple of questions:

- Do you know what the tcf means?

- Why did it only get revved to 5800? 304 should make power to more like 6200-6300?

Coz I agree - based on your before and after, I would have thought you'd be up for another maybe 10hp more?

tcf seems to the correction ratio between axle hp & flywheel hp (ie 9%). Here's the axle hp.

He didn't really say why he didn't rev it harder, looking at the graph it's still on the way up when the run is terminated. I plan to get a few more k's on to it and then look at it again. Currently the motor has driven between Pukekohe and Drury and spent some time on the dyno - Everything is still bedding in.

post-235-1218165444_thumb.jpg

his own e30 318i with a pretty wild M30 gets 180kw a the wheel . 12.5cr pistons 304 cam and lots of head work with blue printed engine block etc .

horsepowers...horsepowers. Would be damn impressive if it was kW

just a few bolt ons

Can you please be a bit more specific :)?

Very impressed with hp + 1/4 mile times you are getting.

I'm looking to ad a bit more punch to my 3.0 also.