Guest Andrew

The Bimmersport Dyno Thread

The TT 1uz I built made 350rwkw on 9psi on stock intenals, was an early middle sump crown motor.Garrett GT30/40s. I steered the owner away from supercharging as it didn't seem worth the effort. Your install is nice and tidy, I wouldn't be too concerned with max HP.Well done

Cheers, I agree. It is a whole lot of fun and thats all that matters to me for a daily driver.

Cheers, I agree. It is a whole lot of fun and thats all that matters to me for a daily driver.

dont get me wrong im not bagging just asking based on what ive done, if as meantioned about doing a TT setup i also did a vh45 nissan with twin with my own turbos i make and that did 900hp and 800ft/lb on 6psi its in a jet sprint boat belonging to a graham hill if anyone wants to check my BS.

Wow what a shake, the aftershocks of 5.4 last night was just like experiencing another quake! Had my car booked in for monday, thought I would carry on and take my mind off things.

Just had another dyno done, a bit more fine tuning, and a 10 rwkw increases to 246.8, at a 22 degrees c, last one was at 16 degrees c, dont know if this makes any difference but very happy with the result.

post-3684-1283818870.jpg

dont get me wrong im not bagging just asking based on what ive done, if as meantioned about doing a TT setup i also did a vh45 nissan with twin with my own turbos i make and that did 900hp and 800ft/lb on 6psi its in a jet sprint boat belonging to a graham hill if anyone wants to check my BS.

WTF!!!

Unless my maths is wrong, which it probably is, that 900hp was made around 5900rpm?

On 6psi!!!!!

How do you manage to get that much power from such little boost?

Can I have more specs on this engine?

What are your turbos? Custom garrets or something?

Kudos to you man, either way that engine sounds EPIC!!

Edited by Ben

Wheres the cheapest place to get my M3 on the Dyno in Chch?

I find it slightly disheartening to see the fastest BMW does not have a BMW motor (Darren [sR20DET] - E30/240 kW (?) 1/4 ET: (?) ), surely theres an M3 on here that can top it??

Edited by s.o.s.nz

Wheres the cheapest place to get my M3 on the Dyno in Chch?

I find it slightly disheartening to see the fastest BMW does not have a BMW motor (Darren [sR20DET] - E30/240 kW (?) 1/4 ET: (?) ), surely theres an M3 on here that can top it??

martys (BM weapon) turbo'd e28 535i 280kw at the wheels

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

martys (BM weapon) turbo'd e28 535i 280kw at the wheels

Although I haven't had my M3 on a dyno (yet), here is a US dyno of the same car. So we have 2 BMW cars kicking 280kw at the rears now!!

post-2746-1288519044.jpeg

Although I haven't had my M3 on a dyno (yet), here is a US dyno of the same car. So we have 2 BMW cars kicking 280kw at the rears now!!

And one from either end of the cost spectrum...

I think we need to add $/kw as well as max power :P

post-2746-1288519044.jpeg

Thats more like it, now they just need to be added to the list on page 1.

Thats more like it, now they just need to be added to the list on page 1.

Car: mrad01 - 2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

Dyno: 280 rwKW

Quarter time: 1/4 mile: 12.6 sec. @ 182km/h

Guest Simon*

Car: mrad01 - 2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

Dyno: 280 rwKW

Quarter time: 1/4 mile: 12.6 sec. @ 182km/h

Aaaaaaaaaah so that's who you are - mrad ;)

I had wondered

Aaaaaaaaaah so that's who you are - mrad ;)

I had wondered

Sounds bad.

:unsure:

Guest Simon*

Sounds bad.

:unsure:

Not at all - just sometimes people change handles and you struggle to figure out who they are

So you finally jumped for the M3 huh :)

I wondered why I didnt see the black 335i trundling up the northern motorway anymore.

Not at all - just sometimes people change handles and you struggle to figure out who they are

So you finally jumped for the M3 huh :)

Yeah. 335i came out of warranty and BMW NZ suddenly decided that they don't do extended warranty anymore. (Even though they said they did, I even had the money out standing at the service desk to buy it when the call came through to say no)

So, I traded it on the M3. Then they put the 335i on the yard. With 2 years extended warranty. Still pissed about that, but hey, that's cars eh.

Guest Simon*

Did you trade in the 335 with all the extra goodies you'd added to it?

And how do they compare, the tweaked 335 and the M3? Please discuss :)

Did you trade in the 335 with all the extra goodies you'd added to it?

And how do they compare, the tweaked 335 and the M3? Please discuss :)

Well, I can write a big essay - but maybe the highlights package will be better...

Engine:

M3 V8 vs 335 6TT. The 335i engine is just a monster from the bottom end - but runs out of puff from about 6500 onwards. The M3 is almost the opposite. Good low down, then rockets into an insane top end from about 6000 through to 8300. I'm not a huge fan of your "traditional" V8 (ala Holden, Chev, Ford etc), but in this guise, it is almost like 2x maniac 4 cylinder M3 engines bolted together rather than a "V8". (Thats the way I like to describe it).

The 335i is no slouch, but the M3 is better.

Chassis:

M3 hands down. The car is stiffer and has this amazing turn in. You really have to try hard to get it to understeer, oversteer is quite easy. The 335i chassis would understeer if you pushed it too much. I guess it is a safety thing.

Brakes:

Huh! M3.

Comfort:

335 is just a bit more relaxed. Good long distance driver. The M3 is good too, but the suspension and possibly the setup of the chassis are always a bit "stiffer" than the 335.

Gas:

335i: 11 litres per 100 average

M3: 13.8 litres per 100 average

So, as predicted, the M3 is a better car for the aggressive driver. You could never make a 335i into an M3 - no matter how much money you spend on mods. There are just some fundamental design differences.

I would buy another 335i without hesitation - great machine. I *am* loving the M3....

Guest Simon*

Cool.

I wouldn't have minded the long version either :)

So you're saying the torque from low down is comparable between the two? I knew the twin scroll setup was pretty tricky but does that bottom end pull rival the V8?

I guess all we need now is piccies :D Is this one black too?

Cool.

I wouldn't have minded the long version either :)

So you're saying the torque from low down is comparable between the two? I knew the twin scroll setup was pretty tricky but does that bottom end pull rival the V8?

I guess all we need now is piccies :D Is this one black too?

The gearing of the M3 seems to counter any advantage the 335 engine has on low down torque. I'd call them pretty close (maybe a small edge to the 335??) The 335i is pumping out max torque at 1700rpm and goes right through to redline. But, after 5000, the M3 is up and away. It's not a normal V8. Low end torque isn't a big feature like a chev - at all. It wakes up and screams all the way to 8300 - when the rev limiter kills the power , almost immediately.

The 335i was a black coupe, the M3 is a white 4 door....

post-2746-1288753800.jpeg

WTF!!!

Unless my maths is wrong, which it probably is, that 900hp was made around 5900rpm?

On 6psi!!!!!

How do you manage to get that much power from such little boost?

Can I have more specs on this engine?

What are your turbos? Custom garrets or something?

Kudos to you man, either way that engine sounds EPIC!!

your close it made that power at 6500,its a 4.5 taken out to 5.4, 8 throttle bodies and some alky

i cast the turbos myself and the video thats been pointed out isnt the boat, its a jet sprint boat belonging to graham hill.

i also did the turbos for mark chromey world record holding endurance boat that makes a little more power at 1900hp on 14psi, cant go too bad hes won it 5 times.

i have pics of grahams motor when i figure how to post them

Posted Image

Posted Image

had the ecu remapped by gavin at hi-velocity today

in my e34 530i with M62B44 4.4L v8 and 5spd

see here for details

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....=29108&st=0

got pretty good results i think .

490Nm and 190.6kw at the wheels.

maybe more there if i open up the rear of exhaust system.

good torque from 2000rpm .

started off with 183kw and 480nm before tunning it

std e34 540i are about 150-160rwkw

std e39 540i are about 160-170rwkw

std e39 m5 225kw

on the same dyno

Now if you made some room in the inner gaurds and add a couple of turbos?

Go on Brent i dare you ;)

Edited by crunchy

490Nm and 190.6kw at the wheels.

Thats close to 260hp@ wheels Brent,cant complain about that.490nm approx.. all the reports on the M62 being tuned for torque is correct,over 100nm per ltr is a good sign.

Much better pwr/tqr than old thrashed/highly strung M pwr engines, notice chaps overseas putting the S62 crank + bits in your M62 engine.

(straight 6 has good character though)