Guest Andrew

The Bimmersport Dyno Thread

Jesus... those figures are hand grenade material ?

• Like 1

It is a bit silly I’ll admit - I just wanted more sound and a mild tune. It sorta escalated after that?.

But the car feels like a different animal. It feels as if it’s lost a few (hundred) pounds and sprints off the line just tickling the throttle. Wet roundabouts are taken very cautiously indeed and if it breaks - I know I had fun in the meantime. These cars are mad fun unleashed. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lidistick said:

*if it breaks - I know I had fun in the meantime.

*when

It's a BMW, let's face it :)

Just now, Matth5 said:

*when

It's a BMW, let's face it :)

Exactly. It is Aventador performance for less than the cost of a brand new i30N. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lidistick said:

Exactly. It is Aventador performance for less than the cost of a brand new i30N. 

I love it, its boring when you worry about every little thing that can wrong.  

• Like 1

Looking to get a run done to validate some recent stuff...anybody know / recommend a dyno place central or east/south Auckland. One over in Avondale looks good but would rather avoid a trek out there if I don't have to :D

I'd like to play this game: anyone know of where in Dunedin i can get my car dynoed?

10 hours ago, First Timer said:

I'd like to play this game: anyone know of where in Dunedin i can get my car dynoed?

APET on vogel street will do Dyno runs, think they're $150 or so? Had our old STI base-lined there, and had my rally car and WRX both tuned there.
Potentially Turbo shop too, but haven't been there myself.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, Braydon said:

APET on vogel street

Wow! i had never heard about them! thanks very much! i appreciate they also do tuning!

• Like 1

Anyone know/ could recommend where I can get a Dyno done in Wellington? 

I found these guys https://www.llamaengineering.co.nz/index.php/dyno-bay/ but its not rolling road. 

Also https://www.prestigetuning.co.nz/ looks to be $190 a run which seems a little steep. They might be the best option??

https://xtremetuning.co.nz/ - Details are sparse. They "don't like diagrams" which is an immediate turn-off.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Ooonst said:

Anyone know/ could recommend where I can get a Dyno done in Wellington? 

I found these guys https://www.llamaengineering.co.nz/index.php/dyno-bay/ but its not rolling road. 

Also https://www.prestigetuning.co.nz/ looks to be $190 a run which seems a little steep. They might be the best option??

https://xtremetuning.co.nz/ - Details are sparse. They "don't like diagrams" which is an immediate turn-off.

Cheers!

Nothing wrong with a hub dyno. The only issue I can quickly think of is that it may give slightly different results to a rolling road (which may be less precise than a hub dyno).

$190 doesn't sound expensive, even if you're only there for 30 minutes. You could be there for an hour. When I had my E30 dyno'd (in the UK) it cost £110, and that was over 10 years ago.

Agree with @gjm, I've only ever run on hub dynos and they will give different figures than a rolling road. Depends on your motivation, do you want tuning or Dyno queen numbers? You could just get the correction factor changed, SAE vs DIN also weights Dyno numbers massively. If you want it for tuning or peace of mind then that another story, shop around as you are, find one that is recommended and don't worry about the final number, worry about the afr's and driveability. Just my 2c worth. And those prices are cheap, it takes time to set up any Dyno for a run, and hub or rolling road they are very expensive to buy and run, they occupy a fair amount of dedicated space and unless booked up all the time they are loss leaders. You will almost always find something that needs work when you hit the Dyno. Good luck with your search, unfortunately I've only used Auckland based setups so can't comment on Wellington.

Edited by Twistee
Cellphone auto correct

11 hours ago, Cement said:

Nice one @LsBeema got to be happy with that ... did they do any tuning work or just the power runs ?

Yea man truly impressed!! I was expecting around 420-440 max. 

Darren  from Revolution Dyno tuned the annoying E38 ECU. The car runs sooooo much more smoother.  Idles like a V8 should, starts up like how a Beast supposed to. 

The factory setup in these L98s had the torque down low, like start from 1650 and declines at around 4750. It was a  crazy pull though man, instant thrust!! 

Now, the car builds up, it Runs!! And pulls hard as it revs up. Amazed after the tune. Highly recommend.  This guy knows his stuff man!! 

Hi all

Finally managed to get my 2017 F30 340i on the dyno this morning. 

Running Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 Octane map and XHP transmission flash, Stage 3, otherwise stock.

I was genuinely surprised at the power generated here,  considering that stock standard it's meant to have 240kW, 322HP and 450Nm.
Now with a few software tweaks, it's got ~309kW, 414HP and 600Nm at the wheels.  Incredible!

Highly recommend Prestige Motorsport if you're in the Wellington region too, they were really accommodating and super nice guys.

BMW F30 340i on Dyno - 4-4-2023.jpg

BMW F30 340i Dyno - Imperial 4-4-2023.jpg

BMW F30 340i Dyno - Metric 4-4-2023.jpg

Edited by Z3bra
FWIW. flashed it myself, fortunately my DME was not locked, so could play with Bootmod3 and XHP to my heart's content.  Also messed around with Bimmercode to enable some nice-to-haves.
  • Like 4

Niiiiice. That's exactly why I'm hanging out for an M240i rather than getting into an M235i now.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, Neil McCauley said:

Niiiiice. That's exactly why I'm hanging out for an M240i rather than getting into an M235i now.

Totally worth it, the B58 engine is fantastic!

Anyone happen to know what the highest HP / fastest e30 in nz might be ?

Can anyone recommend a place I can jump on a dyno in Lower North Island? I want to get a baseline before an ECU tune.

2008 135i with 17T Turbos, 24-25psi. done early this year. 

The Graph is wonky due to the ZF6 trans according to the dyno operator. 

Car is making a lot more power now however yet to re-dyno it. 

325952204_493373522953900_478377785587409918_n.jpg

That is a lot a of boost.. I hope your N54 can survive 😃

Got a vid of sound?

3 hours ago, E63 said:

That is a lot a of boost.. I hope your N54 can survive 😃

Got a vid of sound?

Its at 28psi now haha

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:52 AM, E63 said:

Can anyone recommend a place I can jump on a dyno in Lower North Island? I want to get a baseline before an ECU tune.

Hi, yep, there's Prestige Motorsport in Seaview, that's where I got mine done.