Sign in to follow this  
Dnz

CSL!

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_co...t_code=07355968

"(22:11:16 March 22, 2004)

BMW puts emphasis on M division with upcoming new model blitz

By GREG KABLE

BMW’s M division will launch an unprecedented new model blitz over the next four years.

In a strategy aimed squarely at Mercedes-Benz’s AMG performance offshoot, the German carmaker plans V8-powered M3 and M4 models, as well as V10-powered M5 and M6 models.

The M cars will join the BMW lineup by 2007.

Besides effectively doubling the M-car lineup, the wider M line brings the future range into line with BMW’s new naming system in which sedans and wagons carry odd numbers and coupes and convertibles get even numbers.

Also in the pipeline, although not yet approved for production, is a series of lightweight Coupe Sport Leichtgewicht (CSL) specials that takes advantage

of BMW’s growing expertise in carbon fiber construction—technology that has flowed directly from its involvement in Formula One with Williams. CSL models will come in M4 and M6 coupe form only, with even more powerful V8 and V10 engines than standard M cars."

WHOO! So looks like a v8 m3 is on the cards,... something like an m3 gtr? Would be awesome. Now the next step is some pictures!

Guest Spargo

I disagree. A V8 M3 is the antithesis of all that the M3 stands for. A Spectacular waste of time i'm afraid. More weight, more size. When will it end?

But i beliebe tjhat the M2 would fill the niche left by the M3.. Plus the M3 is kinda the flagship sportscar and if bmw is determined to stay NA then theyre gonna have to increase the size, because other cars would have the edge on them on paper...

Plus the M3 GTR already exists, so its not like theyre being 'crazy'

Guest Spargo

Everything i've read about the M3 GTR (extremely special order only) points to it being a spectacualr dud. Heavier over the front, less power, more expensive, it's not the M5 engine (4L from 5 series). Infact, its niot even an ///M engine!

I hope BMW wakes up and changes the model designation system, as with designating the 3er coupe a 4 series, they are losing 20 years of proven racing heritage founded by the E30 M3.

But to be honest, i'm just raving here, as the most succesful E36 race car was a 320i 4dr. Go figure...

And the ETCC E46 320i is looking to be fairly succesful too, when compared with the M3 GTR, but to be honest, that was killed off by the FIA rather than than BMW. Also, as a sidenote, all 6cyl M3 GTR's were (comparatively) slow as f**k. It took BMW throwing a non production race only engine to win (4.0L V8), something whihc has never happened before in BMW history. Every single touring car beofrehand had a producting based engine. Hell, they even used an M10 in F1 FFS!!!!

Okay, now i'm really raving. Time for a cup fo tea.

But to sum up, I'll never buy a small 2dr v8 bimmer. It's just not cricket.

Guest Spargo

M2 a replacement? COME ON!!! The 1 series (and by proxy the 2 series) is a FWD shitbox (newer golfs / fiat / etc) competitor. You cannot say to me that people will jump from their M3's into an M2. especially if it looks at all like the spy shots i posted. It's supposed to be the size of the current Compact. IE: too small, but i fear the newest 3 will be too big.

Which leaves an option where?

Guest Andrew

they aren't FWD Sam - BMW never accuired Rovers/Honda FWD technology like they wanted to.

I agree with the new M3 being crap - I want a N/A 6 in there.

What about the Hartge H50? That has the M power v8 and from the vids I've seen looks like alot of fun, espeically if you like oversteer.

But to be honest, i'm just raving here, as the most succesful E36 race car was a 320i 4dr.

Wouldnt have any sites or info on that would you? I'm quite curious :)

v8 + coupe= fast....if you want a 4 cylinder e30 m3..buy one.....back in the day 192 hp was enough....but when your competing with amg's 700nM machines (and lets face it....that is the direct competition) you sorta need something with a little more grunt. my 2c.....each to their own i spose

Guest Andrew

Re-read Andrew, I never said it wasn't, its competitors are ;)

opps! my bad.

v8 + coupe doesn't = fast.. hell V12 + coupe don't equal fast. The m3 will be fat.. and you can't make a heavy car handle like a light one!

i never said anything bout going round corners....

Guest Andrew

i never said anything bout going round corners....

which is what BMW has going for it..

I'd rather buy an american muscle car to go fast in a straight line than a merc.

Its just the pressure of competitors.. If they all put pressure on you to increase HP, they gotta do it or they loose prestige/market share..

the naysayers shouted out in rebellion when the "changing of the guard" happened from 4 cyl to 6 cyl m3s and to a degree they were right, alot of owners initailly complained about its size, weight disadvatage, loss of 'feel' (but honestly, who'd complain about owning an m3 :huh: ) but now look at the e46! an absolute stunner.

the m3 gtr with the 8 wasnt an evolution of the "conventional" m3 i think when bmw decide to put a v8 "m" engine in the m3, along with aluminum and carbon fibre advances, and light weight large displacemnet engines etc etc, i think it will be a success...

it will be 'cricket' just not as we know it...

as vodaphone always said... have a little faith...

my 2 cents...

Look at the Audi S4... they've replaced the Turbo-6 with a NA-8, and everyone is raving about it. The 8 is lighter than the 6 (aluminium I think), with more power & better torque curves.

I wouldn't bag an 8-cylinder M3 before I've seen it. BMW makes the best 6-cylinders in the market, who says they can't make a stunning 8?

But they aint just 6's but straight sixes of which there aint that many around (arent they better at producing torque when compared to a v6?)

Maybe we can have an inline 8.. haha Who needs front seats? heheh

Im not going to diss V8 M3 until I had at least had a go in it! This is my opinion, but wouldnt BMW going FWD like wreck all of BMWs history? They havnt produced a FWD yet, why start now? I know that the fact they were all RWD was a contributing factor in the purchase of my one... Imagine a FWD 325i... common imagine it! It would be pus - much like a Nissan Maxima I would imagine - really really nice to drive, but at the end of the day, when you want to nail it across an intersection you aint gunna get the power to the ground as well. (I have driven a few Maximas, and if they werent FWD i would buy one - they are rather well appointed cars - quite quick, comfortable seats (most of them electronically controlled) most with factory alloy wheels, and all the other creature comforts you would expect. So no one burn me for saying somthing derogatory about another brand of car!)

Back to my point - BMW would be ruined if they went FWD - keep up the fun!

Blair.

Im not going to diss V8 M3 until I had at least had a go in it! This is my opinion, but wouldnt BMW going FWD like wreck all of BMWs history? They havnt produced a FWD yet, why start now? I know that the fact they were all RWD was a contributing factor in the purchase of my one... Imagine a FWD 325i... common imagine it! It would be pus - much like a Nissan Maxima I would imagine - really really nice to drive, but at the end of the day, when you want to nail it across an intersection you aint gunna get the power to the ground as well. (I have driven a few Maximas, and if they werent FWD i would buy one - they are rather well appointed cars - quite quick, comfortable seats (most of them electronically controlled) most with factory alloy wheels, and all the other creature comforts you would expect. So no one burn me for saying somthing derogatory about another brand of car!)

Blair.

There are no plans for fwd. Unlike Jaguar :lol: What were they thinking?

While they're at it, why don't they turn this V8 M3 into a mid-engine car as well :angry:

Keep the I6. I like variety, and the reason I love the M3 so much is for the engine. Keep the V8s in the bigger 6 series coupes.

Guest Andrew

Blair.

There are no plans for fwd. Unlike Jaguar :lol: What were they thinking?

While they're at it, why don't they turn this V8 M3 into a mid-engine car as well :angry:

Keep the I6. I like variety, and the reason I love the M3 so much is for the engine. Keep the V8s in the bigger 6 series coupes.

There were plans to do FWD a couple of years ago before the 1 series design.

Bear in mind Jaguar = Ford Modeo with a costworth head on the motor and a couple of different body panels - I've driven new S-Types and X-Types.. The X-Type (3 ltr) was an awesome car with heaps of options and great looks - The motor didn't do it for me.

BTW - BMW already make a great 8 cylinder motor!

as Andy said.... you by an m3 or regular 3er for its handling, with an 8-banger its jus not gonna cut the mustard as far as handling goes... to front end heavy!

My opinion of the new bimmers:

1-series - id rather have a golf gtr

2-series - id rather ride my mountain bike (dents and all)

3-series/m3 - if i wanted a v8(m3) id buy an e39 m5

4-series - this is one i am really looking forward to seeing, from what i have heard its a fine marriage between an e46 M3 and the new 6-series!!

Posted Image

5-series - not bad, styling a bit crazy, looks good with nice bbs' and a strong colour.... loving the m5 so far!

6-series - i like

7-series - looks like ass, and its ass looks like ass!!

the x-series - bottom line bmw make cars... if you want a 4x4 buy a range rover!

Guest Andrew

as Andy said.... you by an m3 or regular 3er for its handling, with an 8-banger its jus not gonna cut the mustard as far as handling goes... to front end heavy!

My opinion of the new bimmers:

1-series - id rather have a golf gtr

2-series - id rather ride my mountain bike (dents and all)

3-series/m3 - if i wanted a v8(m3) id buy an e39 m5

4-series - this is one i am really looking forward to seeing, from what i have heard its a fine marriage between an e46 M3 and the new 6-series!!

Posted Image

5-series - not bad, styling a bit crazy, looks good with nice bbs' and a strong colour.... loving the m5 so far!

6-series - i like

7-series - looks like ass, and its ass looks like ass!!

the x-series - bottom line bmw make cars... if you want a 4x4 buy a range rover!

no i never said it would handle bad (look at the m5) .. or be front heavy.

I just like the sound of a straight six.. CSL sounds GREAT