Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Diff stripped...

well couldnt be arsed writing a proper title.....so one of the holes that i bolt the subframe onto the diff by has a stripped thread....current plan is to get a heli coil and drill a new one.....ive got a rough idea on how to do this...but not 100% any suggestions? any other options?

I'm not 100% sure either, never done it.

I think you drill out the whole to the size bolt it uses (eg if it is for a M10 bolt use a 10mm drill bit) then tap a new thread to the next size up, thread the helicoil in and it is back to where you started.

Don't quote me on that, it is just my understanding of the proceedure.

good...that is what i was thinking....ah...another 3 days delay for my car going....i love it all :(

haha sad...its not....maybe

you harsh bastid Andy

tough break Gus.. may be time to take it to someone who knows what they are doing :P

Gus

Does that mean I get the chance to get the Primera towed from our complex?? :D

Really, I think that you are mixing the cars up so that the owner of the carpark you are using doesn't get suspicious that the same person is using their carpark each day. B)

Good luck with the diff reattachment.

Cheers

damo what do you mean i dont know what im doing! i do know! just not how to do it......nah should be successful tonite...if not.....ernst got some more business......

and grant.....ive been relegated to the bus now :(......damn i cant wait till i fix my car!

gutted....just been reading the heli coil site.....i had forgotten you need to tap the new thread in.....and lacking a tap and die set....to ernst it goes...hanging my head in shame.....and just read glenns post.....makes sense! i am dumb...hahah ah well....could be worse

Edited by Gus

Ok, this should be done correctly if its not you will make a major mess of it. (yes that the obvious) I advice you purchase a helicoil kit if your going to do this yourself, this will come with the correct tap that you require to tap this to. From memory the tap themselves are a little different in sizing from conventional taps, as they are cutting the thread for the outer edge of the helicoil to screw into. They will also instruct you to the size you need to drill the hole, THIS must be done correctly if to large the helicoil will not hold. This is a easy thing to do, it is also a easy thing to screw up. Goodluck.

problem solved...in the end a helicoil wasnt needed.....just retapped the thread...thank you pam! :)